Menu

New bedroom table lamps or replace lampshades?

sheryl

I really like our little lamps.  We ordered having seen the very lamp on display in a store in a little Bavarian village when we lived in Michigan. 

Now that  I  said that the candle stick is probably outdated and I feel I'll just look  for new lamps.

So, what is a nice look for a bedroom look these  days?  And, style/color/fabric of SHADE?  Thanks! 

6 minutes ago, sheryl said:

I really like our little lamps.  We ordered having seen the very lamp on display in a store in a little Bavarian village when we lived in Michigan. 

Now that  I  said that the candle stick is probably outdated and I feel I'll just look  for new lamps.

So, what is a nice look for a bedroom look these  days?  And, style/color/fabric of SHADE?  Thanks! 

I like mine too.  They are what is called buffet table lamps...tall and thin....take up very little space.  But I am trying to get out bedroom really pretty.....I have a new white duvet cover....an new black upholstered headboard  ( we have a platform  bed)....black and white European shams.  New black and white curtains.....I need a throw for the end of the bed and I need new lamps and I will  be pretty happy.  But I thought I should introduce a color to my black and white plan....hard to find a lamp that is not huge that is affordable and pretty.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pen said:

No idea!

I thought maybe it would relate to your dog!

How is her training coming?

rotfl

see the other thread - new question!! it's coming along but training truly is best slow and steady.   emphasis, steady!

23 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I like mine too.  They are what is called buffet table lamps...tall and thin....take up very little space.  But I am trying to get out bedroom really pretty.....I have a new white duvet cover....an new black upholstered headboard  ( we have a platform  bed)....black and white European shams.  New black and white curtains.....I need a throw for the end of the bed and I need new lamps and I will  be pretty happy.  But I thought I should introduce a color to my black and white plan....hard to find a lamp that is not huge that is affordable and pretty.

Yes, I was thinking the same for your color scheme - a pop of color.  What color?  Teal blues,  reds?

12 minutes ago, perkybunch said:

I vote new lampshade.  My dd re-did her room, and we got a pretty shade from Walmart that completely updated her lamp.  I would choose one that works well with the colors in your room.

Right, but I don't know,  but think the base is outdated.

1 minute ago, sheryl said:

Yes, I was thinking the same for your color scheme - a pop of color.  What color?  Teal blues,  reds?

Right, but I don't know,  but think the base is outdated.

I had red and brown for years, so I am over the red.  I am thinking teal or turquoise. Both for the lamp and a throw at end of bed.  And sheets which tend to show a little. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I had red and brown for years, so I am over the red.  I am thinking teal or turquoise. Both for the lamp and a throw at end of bed.  And sheets which tend to show a little. 

Yes,, Scarlett!  That would be striking!

• Thanks 1

Whenever I want something new/updated looking, I head to Target. They usually have an aisle on one one end of the home section that will have fresh, low run, extra stylish stuff. 

Ok, now I'm blown away. They have a LOT more on their website than what they have in the store! Try filtering for bedroom lamps and then flipping high to low price. Gorgeous stuff, tons of options.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Whenever I want something new/updated looking, I head to Target. They usually have an aisle on one one end of the home section that will have fresh, low run, extra stylish stuff. 

Ok, now I'm blown away. They have a LOT more on their website than what they have in the store! Try filtering for bedroom lamps and then flipping high to low price. Gorgeous stuff, tons of options.

YES!  I have the Target website up.  We shop at Target! But, I know you're right - online carries more than in-store.  

I'm having a hard time knowing what's new and updated but not so trendy that it's "outdated" in 3 years.  kwim? 

I need to know what's good now in terms of style mostly.  Color will tie in with our scheme

1 hour ago, sheryl said:

knowing what's new and updated

You can set it to order by most recent additions. 

Are you liking something that is so ugly it's pretty? LOL I mean, sometimes I like things like that. But most of the time, like for a bedroom, I'm just gonna do cream. Hard for cream to go "out" haha. The Opalhouse line there seemed to have their new, extra pretty things. I saw a cream lamp in that. 

I think when lamps change from your taste, just move them to a different room. Like that candlestick lamp might be charming in your kitchen, either on a counter or on top of a cabinet. Or maybe on an entry table. It's probably still classically nice, just your style has changed.

• Like 1

Ok, so we have this terrible story where I waited and waited for the price to drop on these two BEAUTIFUL cream lamps at Target one year, the year we were doing our bedroom. They finally dropped from $50 to $35, so I bought them. Matching, beautiful cream with linen type shades. Then one night the dog barks, dh FLIES out of bed, and CRASH goes the cream lamp. So now I have *one* of a pair, haha. 

So I'm actually interested in the lamps question. Right now dh has this bizarre little antique yellow/gold glass thing with a marble pedastal, something you'd put in a foyer. I imagine it feels not unlike your candlestick at the moment. So I could move it somewhere else and get a new cream lamp. And this one

https://www.target.com/p/ceramic-applique-table-lamp-cream-opalhouse-153/-/A-53466234?preselect=53062238#lnk=sametab  would be your example of trendy, so going to be something you tire of later. At least I think I would. Maybe for the right person, just not for me, lol.

https://www.target.com/p/ceramic-table-lamp-white-opalhouse-153/-/A-53466222?preselect=53072049#lnk=sametab  while this seems more fresh and up to date but also classic, not something you'd tire of. I may buy this. It's at least the right colors. I need to look at my other lamp and see if they'd go well together. I keep a very calm room, with violet walls and everything else shades of cream and white. Apparently I also don't stay up on fashion, lol.

But anyways, I do agree there's that difference. But really, I'll bet if we saw your candlestick light it's actually really cute. It just sounds like it's more ready to move somewhere else so you can have a different style. And lamps are a pretty cheap indulgence. I think if you want to buy two and replace in 6 years, you'll probably have a dc needing some lamps lol.

• Like 1

We updated ours recently and it was the first time I ever put any thought into it besides just needing a light.  🙂  We got ones recently from Home Depot that are modern looking and turn on with "touch."  Very handy instead of searching in the dark for a lamp switch to turn on.  It also has three or four levels of brightness, so you touch it once for one, twice for the next level, etc.  If you want it on the lowest level, it's more like a nightlight, and doesn't wake up your partner if you need to turn it on.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Ok, so we have this terrible story where I waited and waited for the price to drop on these two BEAUTIFUL cream lamps at Target one year, the year we were doing our bedroom. They finally dropped from $50 to $35, so I bought them. Matching, beautiful cream with linen type shades. Then one night the dog barks, dh FLIES out of bed, and CRASH goes the cream lamp. So now I have *one* of a pair, haha. 

So I'm actually interested in the lamps question. Right now dh has this bizarre little antique yellow/gold glass thing with a marble pedastal, something you'd put in a foyer. I imagine it feels not unlike your candlestick at the moment. So I could move it somewhere else and get a new cream lamp. And this one

https://www.target.com/p/ceramic-applique-table-lamp-cream-opalhouse-153/-/A-53466234?preselect=53062238#lnk=sametab  would be your example of trendy, so going to be something you tire of later. At least I think I would. Maybe for the right person, just not for me, lol.

https://www.target.com/p/ceramic-table-lamp-white-opalhouse-153/-/A-53466222?preselect=53072049#lnk=sametab  while this seems more fresh and up to date but also classic, not something you'd tire of. I may buy this. It's at least the right colors. I need to look at my other lamp and see if they'd go well together. I keep a very calm room, with violet walls and everything else shades of cream and white. Apparently I also don't stay up on fashion, lol.

But anyways, I do agree there's that difference. But really, I'll bet if we saw your candlestick light it's actually really cute. It just sounds like it's more ready to move somewhere else so you can have a different style. And lamps are a pretty cheap indulgence. I think if you want to buy two and replace in 6 years, you'll probably have a dc needing some lamps lol.

I love the base of the second one you linked above.  LOVE it.  But I am discovering that lamp shade shape is something I have a real opinion on.  I prefer the swoopy out kind.  LOL.  More bell shaped.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I love the base of the second one you linked above.  LOVE it.  But I am discovering that lamp shade shape is something I have a real opinion on.  I prefer the swoopy out kind.  LOL.  More bell shaped.

I went back and looked at the lamps in my room, and that cream lamp that remains has that swoopy outy shade and now looks dated to me. I've been updating shades in my living room and indeed a straighter shade is more up to date. So I realized if I were to buy that cute lamp, I'd have to change the other shade to match.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

I went back and looked at the lamps in my room, and that cream lamp that remains has that swoopy outy shade and now looks dated to me. I've been updating shades in my living room and indeed a straighter shade is more up to date. So I realized if I were to buy that cute lamp, I'd have to change the other shade to match.

LOL glad I could help.  

I guess I need to wrap my mind around the straighter shade.  That is about all they are selling anyway. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I see lots of things like that a hobby lobby and (strangely) dollar general. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Yes,  I can see that happening here.  If I remember I'll take a pic of the lam ps in a day or two and upload it for you to see. I like your idea of maybe recycling lol to another room in the house.  But, it's back when gold tone was in.  It's not so much now.   Maybe  a  Goodwill donate - idk.

That's a shame about your lamp. Is there a number to try and match  onliine?

6 hours ago, J-rap said:

We updated ours recently and it was the first time I ever put any thought into it besides just needing a light.  🙂  We got ones recently from Home Depot that are modern looking and turn on with "touch."  Very handy instead of searching in the dark for a lamp switch to turn on.  It also has three or four levels of brightness, so you touch it once for one, twice for the next level, etc.  If you want it on the lowest level, it's more like a nightlight, and doesn't wake up your partner if you need to turn it on.

I should just check on line to start with and could see trying Lowe's, H D, BBB, Target and maybe others I'm not thinking of.  I just don't want to spend alot of time looking for/buying lamps and I, like Peter Pan, like Target for those things.  A sensor touch,  We don't have that but that might be a good idea.   TBH, I don't know how it works.

Scarlett, PeterPan, Fairfarmhand -

I'm used to Scarlett's preferred shade style as well.  See, I know they straighter edge is the look right now.   I need to look at home decorating pics and find what I like.  I know there are many more shade styles than meets the eye.  I don't know y'all.  I googled "styles of lampshades" > images.   I'm more confused.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Maybe  a  Goodwill donate - idk.

Oh don't feel bad about that! You'd be surprised how gleeful people are to find "out of date" things. A few years ago I went to every thrift store I could find collecting brass candlesticks. Now brass/bronze is back in, but it wasn't then, haha. I was doing a medieval/princess bride party for my dd, so I wanted a scad of them to create the long wedding banquet table. 

19 minutes ago, sheryl said:

I googled "styles of lampshades" > images.   I'm more confused.

LOL Don't try too hard. Just pick something and it will be fine. Seriously. I think they rotate styles just so the previous things we bought look old/different to make us want to replace them. In a few years we'll all wonder what we were thinking with our stupid straight walled drum lampshades, lol. And you ought to see, I got a doozy off amazon, huge silk drum to put on a floor lamp. So 70s, hahaha.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Yeah, I got stuck on whether I should change styles and go to one of those swing arm lamps. Dh likes to read at night. But I like the pretty ceramic kind, lol. Since I couldn't decide, I did nothing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Oh don't feel bad about that! You'd be surprised how gleeful people are to find "out of date" things. A few years ago I went to every thrift store I could find collecting brass candlesticks. Now brass/bronze is back in, but it wasn't then, haha. I was doing a medieval/princess bride party for my dd, so I wanted a scad of them to create the long wedding banquet table. 

LOL Don't try too hard. Just pick something and it will be fine. Seriously. I think they rotate styles just so the previous things we bought look old/different to make us want to replace them. In a few years we'll all wonder what we were thinking with our stupid straight walled drum lampshades, lol. And you ought to see, I got a doozy off amazon, huge silk drum to put on a floor lamp. So 70s, hahaha.

You're right.  It will be fine whatever we choose.  And, I agree, that styles change to keep the currency flowing.   🙂  And, not just with lampshades. LOL!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sheryl said:

I should just check on line to start with and could see trying Lowe's, H D, BBB, Target and maybe others I'm not thinking of.  I just don't want to spend alot of time looking for/buying lamps and I, like Peter Pan, like Target for those things.  A sensor touch,  We don't have that but that might be a good idea.   TBH, I don't know how it works.

Well I don't actually know how it works scientifically! ~  but you just touch it with a finger, anywhere on the base, and it turns on.  I like not having to fumble for a light switch in the dark or when I'm half asleep.

These are the ones we got that have the 4 settings of brightness, depending on how many times you touch them:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/All-The-Rages-Valencia-11-5-in-Brushed-Nickel-2-Pack-Mini-Touch-Table-Lamp-Set-with-White-Fabric-Shades-LT2014-WHT-2PK/204634515

They're quite small, but they throw off a good amount of light on the highest setting.  (Two lamps are included in the set.)

We also got this one for another room:

https://www.wayfair.com/lighting/pdp/orren-ellis-towns-15-table-lamp-w000803303.html

It's a little bigger and a little more solid, and pricier (and just one lamp is included).  It doesn't have the 4 levels of brightness feature.  Just one touch and it's on, another touch and it's off.   I think it's very pretty, though!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sheryl said:

Yes,  I can see that happening here.  If I remember I'll take a pic of the lam ps in a day or two and upload it for you to see. I like your idea of maybe recycling lol to another room in the house.  But, it's back when gold tone was in.  It's not so much now.   Maybe  a  Goodwill donate - idk.

I spray painted my living room lamps with gold on them. Got a good primer and sprayed them antique bronze. I’ll link a photo later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/7/2020 at 11:08 PM, J-rap said:

Well I don't actually know how it works scientifically! ~  but you just touch it with a finger, anywhere on the base, and it turns on.  I like not having to fumble for a light switch in the dark or when I'm half asleep.

These are the ones we got that have the 4 settings of brightness, depending on how many times you touch them:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/All-The-Rages-Valencia-11-5-in-Brushed-Nickel-2-Pack-Mini-Touch-Table-Lamp-Set-with-White-Fabric-Shades-LT2014-WHT-2PK/204634515

They're quite small, but they throw off a good amount of light on the highest setting.  (Two lamps are included in the set.)

We also got this one for another room:

https://www.wayfair.com/lighting/pdp/orren-ellis-towns-15-table-lamp-w000803303.html

It's a little bigger and a little more solid, and pricier (and just one lamp is included).  It doesn't have the 4 levels of brightness feature.  Just one touch and it's on, another touch and it's off.   I think it's very pretty, though!

I agree. - less fumbling for light.  I'll pursue looking at this idea. Thanks for the links!

On 5/7/2020 at 11:57 PM, fairfarmhand said:

I spray painted my living room lamps with gold on them. Got a good primer and sprayed them antique bronze. I’ll link a photo later.

That is incredibly creative!  Scarlett said she has considered that.  I read my original post and forgot to mention that one lampshade was destroyed but we still have the other.  I would need to buy another lampshade which will be hard to match in style, size, color or buy 2 new lampshades or just buy 2 new lamps/lampshades.  

I still need to take a pic and upload the candlestick.