Menu

Helping others when you're self-isolating

PeachyDoodle

Some of this has probably been covered in the mega-threads, but I thought we could use this space to brainstorm ways we can help others while we are stuck in our homes. 

I'm thinking particularly of things kids/teens can participate in, so something other than donating money/resources (which is of course also a great thing to do for those who have the means!).

Feeling lonely and isolated is starting to take its toll in our house, and I'd really like to have some ways we can reach out as a family to others who might be feeling that way too.

One idea I've seen is to write encouraging messages on the sidewalks or post them in your windows for others to see as they walk by.

I wonder if you could call a local nursing home and ask them for some names of people there, and your kids could send them letters or cards?  You could also ask your local churches for names of congregants who are living alone (often the elderly) and lonely.

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Our local soup kitchen has gone from serving three meals where people come in and sit down, to serving two "to go meals" with extra things on the side like sandwiches and baked good.  They are still taking donations.  My plan is to have my kids make some sandwiches and cookies to be dropped off.  

Wow, that's really surprising to me. Even during 'normal' times, the soup kitchen I'm familiar with will accept garden overflow (fruits and veggies) from individuals, but not any prepared food.