Menu

Book series for boys

lulalu

I have family wanting to buy ds, 8 years old, a book series.

He has finished The Magic Tree House series. I would say he can read close to 4th grade, but is still working on stamina and needs larger print (although he just got glasses for reading last week so maybe that won't be a big deal anymore). 

Edited by lulalu

My son is 7 and loves the How to Train Your Dragon series by Cressida Cowell. He likes a lot of books on a lot of different topics, but these are always his top recommendation! I have a very low tolerance for the kind of humor often put in "boy books", but these are legitimately funny. David Tennant (Dr Who) reads the audiobooks, and we listened to the first one together and were all laughing.

• Like 2

We loved all the Henry Huggins books, all the Ramona books, The Land of Stories series, The Penderwicks, The Indian and the Cupboard (2 book series), Dr. Doolittle (many books in the series), The Wizard of Oz series, ... Of those, I'd say the only ones considered "boy" books would be the Henry Huggins ones and The Indian and the Cupboard, both great series.

• Like 2

He has read My Father's Dragon series. He loved those!

Our family read aloud was just the Naria series. He might be at that level to read alone, but he would need a little help. But being we just finished the Last Battle in January he wouldn't want to go through those again just yet. 

• 3 weeks later...

So we already had the Little House series. DS has been loving them so far. He is on Farmer Boy right now! 

I just had a dear friend offer to ship books to us too. DS is stuck inside our apartment for at least 5 more weeks. And reading for about 2 hours a day! I told him he will need to reread a lot of books before this is all over. So much time to just sit around and read. 

One series that my younger readers have all loved is the Tales From the Odyssey books (also by Mary Pope Osborne, but much better writing than the MTH books). 

Here is Part One,   and here is Part Two.

They were originally published as six slimmer paperbacks, but were later combined into a Part One volume (first 3 books) and Part Two volume (last 3 books). 

I had to buy a second copy of these books for my younger kids to have because one of my older sons literally wore them out. 🙂

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Zoo Keeper said:

One series that my younger readers have all loved is the Tales From the Odyssey books (also by Mary Pope Osborne, but much better writing than the MTH books). 

Here is Part One,   and here is Part Two.

They were originally published as six slimmer paperbacks, but were later combined into a Part One volume (first 3 books) and Part Two volume (last 3 books). 

I had to buy a second copy of these books for my younger kids to have because one of my older sons literally wore them out. 🙂

Ooo that sounds great we are learning about Greek and Roman history this year and ds is LOVING it. 

• Like 1