Menu

Unplug challenge - at the top of the hour!

Robin M

I have an unplug challenge for you. I need an internet break. Please join me.   At the top of the hour, unplug, grab a book and read or grab pen and paper and write for an hour, work on a puzzle, crafts, whatever suits your fancy.   I'll meet you back here when the time is up and we'll talk about what we're reading and writing.  Set your timers!   Whatever time you happen to read this, start at the top of the hour and then let us know what you did. 

😘

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 1

I'm back.  @StellaM  Love it. Reminds me of the cats last night when hubby was slicing up a turkey breast, waiting for a few pieces to fall their way.  Erm, did she eat the moth?

I started to reread Mercedes Lackey Arrows of the Queen. It's been 20 years or thereabouts so don't remember much.  Just as good.  Working on writing poems and now about to do some blog posting.  

Urged my kiddo to go read so he disappeared into the bedroom to read Star Wars Rise of Skywalker. As soon as he's done, it's my turn, he says.

• Like 2

Practicing for National Poetry Month.  I think I prefer free form.  A poem a day, maybe, maybe not, but we'll see.  This was a couple days ago.

Nature’s Washing Machine 

If you could stop the world
for a moment, a day, or a lifetime, 
would you’d sit on the shore
and contemplate the view, the moment,
the past, or the present?

A word or sentence or phrase comes to mind,
speaks to you, leads you, 
raises a question, demands an answer,
literally and figuratively.  

You sit down on the beach
and count the grains of sand. 
Impossible… maybe.  
Fragments shift across your palm,
hot and parched, some moist and cold. 

It flows through your fingers,
grains adhere to the lines and 
wrinkles of your palm,
between your fingers, under your nails, 
Sparkling, shiny bits of dust. 
All shapes and sizes: rough or smooth,
large or small, hard or soft.  
Just like your thoughts.  
Hard edges, soft moments.  
You can hold on or brush them away.
Countless grains, 
Particles of life.  

Is it possible to catch the thoughts 
of the person who sat here before you,
when they scooped up the sand 
and let it drift through their fingers?   

So many grains of sand, 
so many thoughts left behind.  
Where do they all go?
You reflect and imagine   
they tumble out to sea in a wash of waves.
Cleansed and returned, 
with the flow of the tides,
full of peace, full of quiet power. 

• Like 3

We went on a walk around the neighborhood during that hour. It was a beautiful day and tons of people were out playing or doing yard work so our walk involved a lot of stopping and chatting, from a safe distance, with neighbors we've never talked to before. Plus, many neighbors put bears in their windows so families on walks could go on a bear hunt like the book. The kids enjoyed the hunt for bears.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Donna said:

I read a book and did a 20 minute yoga video with DD17.

Which book did you read?  I really must get back into yoga.  

51 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

We went on a walk around the neighborhood during that hour. It was a beautiful day and tons of people were out playing or doing yard work so our walk involved a lot of stopping and chatting, from a safe distance, with neighbors we've never talked to before. Plus, many neighbors put bears in their windows so families on walks could go on a bear hunt like the book. The kids enjoyed the hunt for bears.

The bear hunt sounds really neat and it's so cool so many people are participating. 

30 minutes ago, Junie said:

I ate dinner that dh cooked (telework for the win!) and then read Jurassic Park for two hours.  Jurassic Park was actually a good choice for this week, because as bad and crazy as things are currently, they're not as bad as that.

Jurassic Park! One of my favorite movies.  Still haven't read the book yet.  It's on the list since James wants to read it together. 

12 minutes ago, Kareni said:

I hemmed a pair of pajama pants so feel as though I've been quite productive!

Regards,

Kareni

Yes, quite productive. Hubby's been wanting me to hem a pair of his jeans.   Need to put on my to do list as I keep forgetting.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Robin M said:

I'm back.  @StellaM  Love it. Reminds me of the cats last night when hubby was slicing up a turkey breast, waiting for a few pieces to fall their way.  Erm, did she eat the moth?

I started to reread Mercedes Lackey Arrows of the Queen. It's been 20 years or thereabouts so don't remember much.  Just as good.  Working on writing poems and now about to do some blog posting.  

Urged my kiddo to go read so he disappeared into the bedroom to read Star Wars Rise of Skywalker. As soon as he's done, it's my turn, he says.

I love Mercedes Lackey.  She's one of my favorites and I have quite a few of her books in paperback.  

1 hour ago, Junie said:

I ate dinner that dh cooked (telework for the win!) and then read Jurassic Park for two hours.  Jurassic Park was actually a good choice for this week, because as bad and crazy as things are currently, they're not as bad as that.

I like Michael Crichton too.  

I"m reading a bunch of light paranormal romances lately.   They are good to read while walking on the treadmill or doing other things because it's easy to follow along even if interrupted a lot.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

I love Mercedes Lackey.  She's one of my favorites and I have quite a few of her books in paperback.  

I like Michael Crichton too.  

I"m reading a bunch of light paranormal romances lately.   They are good to read while walking on the treadmill or doing other things because it's easy to follow along even if interrupted a lot.  

If you feel like sharing a favorite series or two ........always looking for good new series in that genre.  

I finished listening to an audiobook that has been in progress for weeks and cut out pieces for a quilt top in my hour.😁

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mumto2 said:

If you feel like sharing a favorite series or two ........always looking for good new series in that genre.  

I finished listening to an audiobook that has been in progress for weeks and cut out pieces for a quilt top in my hour.😁

Right now I'm reading through Amanda M. Lee's stuff.  She has a bunch of series that are light and funny, and have a ton of books (a plus!).   They are all available on Kindle Unlimited too.  Right now I'm reading her Mystic Caravan series.  I've already read a bunch of others and she also writes under the name Lily Harper Hart.   There's some overlap between books with characters from one showing up in another series, but not in such a way that you have to read them in a certain order.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Right now I'm reading through Amanda M. Lee's stuff.  She has a bunch of series that are light and funny, and have a ton of books (a plus!).   They are all available on Kindle Unlimited too.  Right now I'm reading her Mystic Caravan series.  I've already read a bunch of others and she also writes under the name Lily Harper Hart.   There's some overlap between books with characters from one showing up in another series, but not in such a way that you have to read them in a certain order.

Thank you!  I am going to go hunting later today for light paranormal.  Those look great!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Robin M said:

Which book did you read?  I really must get back into yoga.  

I started the book Blink by Malcolm Gladwell. I have been getting free books through our library on my iPad but I lost my iPad somehow during our escape from NYC a little over a week ago (fairly sure I left it in the hotel but, of course, housekeeping didn't find it) and since I can't go to the library, I had to find some books at home I haven't read, yet. 🙄

DD and I like the Yoga with Adrienne videos especially the Flow/Vinyasa ones.

• Like 1