Menu

Air duct cleaning

klmama

I read about it quite a bit when we moved into our new house. I came away with the conclusion that in most cases it doesn't do enough to justify the hassle and expense. Some people think it is basically a scam; I wouldn't go that far, but most of the "stuff" sitting in your ducts will continue to just sit there, not causing any harm. 

Nice summary here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21070373

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

I think it depends on your house and ducts and registers.  

In our house, the ducts are in the floors with openings facing up and quite a lot of dust (and someTimes coins, crayons, string fluff, dog fur,  tiny toy parts, etc, even pieces of cookie,  go  down from the room above.  So, yes, it makes a difference.

I would think duct register openings high on a wall would have fewer things go in. 

• Like 1

We had ours cleaned in our "new" house. This house is almost 50 years old, there was a mold issue in the basement, we had remodeling done so lots of drywall & other dust, and the vents are on the floors. So, definitely worth it for us. They pulled out chunks of carpet, brick from the fireplace we had removed, puzzle pieces, dead bugs (there was a wasp problem), and lots of dust. I am the one with allergies and made DH get it done. It wasn't very expensive & only takes a couple of hours.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ashfern said:

We had ours cleaned in our "new" house. This house is almost 50 years old, there was a mold issue in the basement, we had remodeling done so lots of drywall & other dust, and the vents are on the floors. So, definitely worth it for us. They pulled out chunks of carpet, brick from the fireplace we had removed, puzzle pieces, dead bugs (there was a wasp problem), and lots of dust. I am the one with allergies and made DH get it done. It wasn't very expensive & only takes a couple of hours.

We also have had lots of work done in our home. We did have it done once and the before and after pictures showed lots of junk in there. With that said, it’s not something that I would pursue again.