Menu

Boost immunity in case of flu—? about vitamins

Garga

I have read that these vitamins are good to boost immunity, particularly to ward off the cold and flu:

Vitamin C

Vitamin B6

Vitamin D

Magnesium

Zinc

I can buy them all in separate bottles and get really high levels of them.

Or I can get a multivitamin with modest levels of each in a single pill.

What should I do?  Buy the separate bottles and get the high doses of each?  

Buy one multivitamin (like this one.)?

I *think* I want to buy them separately, but I don’t know if that’s a bad idea and that’ll be an overload of vitamins.  Are those 5 safe to take together?  

Here are the links to the separate bottle of each vitamin I was thinking of getting:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013HV9O0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032BH76O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013H7JOY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005P0XRK0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H5PJ0HW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Edited by Garga

I combine those strategies. I take D3 every day, calcium every day, a probiotic capsule (for digestive health/IBS) and a multivitamin every day. If I’m around sick people or particularly concerned, I will take Emergen-C for a few days. If I have problems with bathroom habits or anxiety and insomnia, I will take Natural Calm. 
So that’s what I do. 

Those vitamins are all found in regular multivitamins, so they are safe to take together.  I can't comment on whether large quantities are safe to take, however.  Too much zinc can upset the stomach, and very superficial googling says that zinc toxicity can occur if you take more than 50mg of it. 

I'd probably just stick to a good diet and supplement with a multivitamin. I take extra vitamin D because I was tested to be low on it. We take some Zicam if we feel a cold coming on.  Other than that, we wash hands frequently and avoid germy places at peak cold and flu season. 

I have barely had a cold in years.  I take a good quality women's multivitamin, probiotic (also have IBS), a single flax fiber supplement (also IBS related), and I take elderberry most days through cold and flu season or if I notice anything going on (allergies, scratchy throat).  I might use emergency c knock off on those days too. I usually make my own syrup though I do keep gummies on hand as back up and for travel.  I do get the flu shot as well.  And am very methodical about handwashing.  I often make a pit stop to wash my hands on my way out of public spaces.

I do NOT isolate during cold and flu season unless I'm actually sick.

Edited by FuzzyCatz

I can’t advise what you should do, but can tell you what I do. 

I take a multivitamin/mineral that I consider to be good.  At different times it’s been different brands.  I can’t advise as to Swanson.

plus I take individual items as extras.  I have chronic health issues that I manage entirely or almost entirely via nutrition and nutraceuticals. 

2 hours ago, Garga said:

I have read that these vitamins are good to boost immunity, particularly to ward off the cold and flu:

Vitamin C

Yes.  We have separate vitamin C, usually Solray brand

my son can stop his own viruses with lots of Vitamin C.  It doesn’t seem to work in my case

Vitamin B6

Doesn’t agree with me to take any beyond the multi and B Complex doses. Even then I have to be careful about forms and amounts

I have Emerald and or Country Life B complex.

Vitamin D

Yes.  We use Carlsson or Doctor’s Best currently. Usually 2000-4000iu daily (and would sometimes forget and less in summer when there’s sun), but with pandemic issue, I recently went up to 5000iu to 10,000iu daily.  (Which I’d been fearful of doing before.) And hurrah, I can feel it helping my autoimmunity symptoms!!!  So that’s great whether or not it does anything regarding immunity.

I also take LifeExtension SuperK with the D3

Magnesium

Have separate magnesium as magnesium threonate (life Extension). Also in a formulation called Bone Solid (Country Life)  Also as Epsom salts, and as lotion.  Take it mainly for muscle cramps, physical pain, migraines. 

Zinc

Yes. Have some, but I don’t take it unless I see Im low (white spots on nails, canker sores) as it gives me nausea. My brother seems to find zinc helps him avoid catching viruses. 

I can buy them all in separate bottles and get really high levels of them.

Or I can get a multivitamin with modest levels of each in a single pill.

What should I do?  Buy the separate bottles and get the high doses of each?  

Buy one multivitamin (like this one.)?

I dont know .  My multi source currently is Thorne or Emerald

I put the companies I am using above.  I also use NOW a lot, but somehow it did not come up for anything mentioned.   ETA-  I do see it as brand for link I checked on Amazon.  What I mean is I think NOW is a good brand.  But it isn’t the brand I take for any of the items you ask about.  I get nausea from even a 15mg added dose of zinc, let alone 50 mg.

The NOW Vitamin C and D3 look okay at good prices, but I have no personal experience with them.  

I do use NOW inositol and NAC. 

I don’t offhand know dangers in the group you are considering taken together.  But I usually research whatever I am considering as best I can.

I believe  that D3 and K2 should go together. 

I find B complex and NAC very important .  I am not sure if B6 is safe outside of a whole BComplex.   Usually taking B vitamins in proper proportion to each other is recommended. (I do sometimes take some extra B1, B2, or B12 for various reasons. And Inositol.  But my main go to is a good B complex)

High quality and reputable brands are important imo / IME .  

A lot of vitamins if you take too much the excess is just excreted, so wasteful,  but not particularly dangerous.   Fat soluble ones like D can be too high, in a harmful way, but I decided for myself that I need well over the usual recommended dose. 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

Complete 1-Daily Multi - Multivitamin Full of Coenzymes, Antioxidants, Folic Acid, & Vitamins - Supports Healthy Heart, Strong Bones, & Immune System - Emerald Labs - 60 Vegetable Capsules https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V6Y9OE2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_0IhsEb7RRCZ8R

For example.  It’s more expensive than the one you linked, but the one you linked has forms of vitamins that in some cases I know don’t agree with me. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Quill said:

I combine those strategies. I take D3 every day, calcium every day, a probiotic capsule (for digestive health/IBS) and a multivitamin every day. If I’m around sick people or particularly concerned, I will take Emergen-C for a few days. If I have problems with bathroom habits or anxiety and insomnia, I will take Natural Calm. 
So that’s what I do. 

Can you tell me about natural calm? Is it the gummies I see on amazon? How does it make you feel wrt anxiety?

On 2/16/2020 at 4:45 AM, EmseB said:

Can you tell me about natural calm? Is it the gummies I see on amazon? How does it make you feel wrt anxiety?

Natural Calm is available in a powder you can make into a beverage, hot or cold. I’ll make it like a hot drink before bed. Does it help reduce anxiety? Well, it ain’t Xanax, but it seems to be better than nothing. Sometimes I do have intense anxiety and all bets are off for non-pharmaceutical options. I mean I might still give it a whirl but nothing really works like prescription anxiety-reducing meds. But I can say I have never drank the Natural Calm and then had an anxiety attack. So it’s worth a go. 
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Vitality-Anti-Stress-Supplement-Raspberry/dp/B00BPUY3W0/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=natural+calm&qid=1581954970&sprefix=natura&sr=8-3

Edited by Quill
Added link
  • Thanks 1