Menu

Accountability Thread 2/10-2/15

Morning! Sorry I didn't get this thread up yesterday, but it was a particularly hectic weekend! Hoping for a quiet day or two at home to destress.

Today's tasks:

Housekeeping: laundry, dishes, cat boxes, bed, bath, linens

School-none. We are on a break. I had it scheduled for next week, but after this weekend, it needed to happen now.

Cooking-roast, potatoes, broccoli, and something for dessert, I can't remember what.

Writing-blog post, send out a rejected short story again, edits, 1000 words in my short story. 

• Like 2

Hope things settle down soon for you Critter.

Daddy doing OT today. 

School- she has done her Bible time, poems, math mystery story, Elementary/Shorter catechism and she is currently listening to Uncle Wiggley and Mother Goose stories while drawing pictures.

Still needs to do her calendar, telling time workbook, her maps and logic workbooks, math, penmanship and she needs to read to me.

Maybe even her US Presidents flash cards and her US States and flags books.

• Like 3

Good morning, friends! 

@Critterfixer: oh, my.  Hugs; congrats + great admiration on sending out the story again; and hopes for a renewed spirit. 

@Mommyof1: What a lovely day of school you have planned.  + it reminds me that we need to pick up my own 9yo's telling time work, he never quite became fluent at it.  Hope everyone at your house is well. 

Tonight the boys & I are hosting our role-playing game (RPG).  Working, more or less, backwards:

• snacks prepped & out, plates & glasses & napkins out too, floors cleaned, add a leaf to the table
  • dinner for boys & I and make a warm plate + salad for DH -- he'll get home right as we begin.  He doesn't mind having dinner on a tray so we can have the dining room table, but I'd like it to feel like a dinner made by somebody who cherishes him.  Good Lord willing, it will be a potato-leek tart + green salad.
  • make peanut butter cookies?  the group would love it and so would DH.
  • exercise
  • house-cleaning, my recovery goals: do plenty, include some paperwork
  • character work for our RPG.  We have new-ish characters, mine turned out to be boring as built and not really fit into our current campaign so I'm working on her background, making her less warm/maternal and more non-nonsense, and figuring out what she is good at doing.  Fixing stuff, for one -- she's a dwarf mason.  I think I'll have her main fidget be to repair broken & run-down stuff wherever she is.
  • update the chalkboard memory stuff: clean off old bits, move science stuff, add a sonnet, the 8-fold path of Buddhism + 5 pillars of Islam. 
  • school work.  Math, languages, piano.  We had a sort of piano crisis this weekend, both boys are burning out on their current honors program b/c they don't relate to the required pieces or the goals.  Sigh.  If I want them to love music I'm going to have to do a lot of the footwork myself, which is frankly sort of crazy.  They are so fussy about what we play usually, it isn't easy to just get stuff into their ears.   I'm thinking we should have an approach that includes:
    • classical training (maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of their lesson time)
    • pieces they simply love, and which do stretch them (about 1/4 of lesson time)
    • theory: their teacher has a program, but it doesn't make coherent sense to them, so I'm going to give some extra workbooks + have older fellow do some "living book" reading on theory.  The "Music Theory for Dummies" (or Complete Idiots, forget which) is actually quite good so it would be good if both of us read that & discussed it. 
    • music history / living books: we ought to pick up with this.  Quick & dirty is Harmony Fine Arts, which I own, + books suggested in WTM.  Then maybe an Eyewitness music book, "The Music Pack" would be great if we could, other stuff to get their interest. 
    • but when will all this happen ??????  We'll see what we can swing.
  • AM exercise
  • wash the dog.  I have no idea what she got into to, but she needs a bath.  So do the boys, but they're pretty self-cleaning.  🙂 

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 2

Morning. Day two of break, and the boys have a visit to the dentist with DH, so they'll be gone most of the morning. I'm not sure when my appointment is. I think it's in May or something. Look it up later.

Today's goals: 

House: I didn't get my cleaning done yesterday because of revisions. Hope to catch that up today. Other than that, the usual chores.

School: none

Cooking: Baked potato night, and I'm going to make chili because I want some.

Writing: Chapters 16-35, easy edit stuff. Then recompose list with the harder chapters for work. Still waiting on a time table and a reader to look at those tough scenes. Also need 1000 words in my short story, send the short story that was rejected out again, because it got rejected again this morning, and in general just keep going. 

• Like 2

Well, it is afternoon here. 

Last night's game-hosting went well & things were cleaned up before I went to bed, hurray!   Though between picking up & showering, I didn't get to bed until midnight. 

Today was light on the school front.  This whole week is still Recovery Mode: languages, math, piano, read stuff.  And heavy on cleaning: the house is looking much neater generally, and there is a lot less company-coming straightening these days. 

For the rest of the day: boys are finishing math.  I'm going to take a short nap when they are done, we'll do their exercise and then they get screen time while get my exercise.  Then dinner, various cleaning, bedtime routines.  Some RPG work. 

For tomorrow: spend some time troubleshooting what's working & what isn't, + working on my RPG character. 

• Like 2

Morning! Already up and doing. Termite inspector is here. 

Today's goals:

House: Probably need to clean something, but it's raining, and there's really not a lot of a point when mud will be coming in for the next couple of days. Laundry, dishes, cat boxes as usual.

School: None

Cooking: Pizza today

Writing: set up a schedule to complete revisions that allows me space to eat, drink, and bathe. Got my deadline back, and it's going to be intense, but I can do it. Today's work is fixing two scenes, and then I'll be ready to start cutting. Probably just going to get that done today--that and the schedule. But if I can, I'll set up my page for cuts and figure out what I can do and which chapters get the most cuts.

• Like 2

Morning!  We are beginning to recover here, from all the craziness of the last year.  So I'm tempted to start piling stuff on.  But I shall resist the urge! 

• First thing: round of play outside, piano, clean, start laundry (thx to Critterfixer: I'd forgotten the morning load)
  • Next thing: errands (drop wedding ring off to be repaired; go by the bank; shoe repair store; pick up some butter; art store; drop off the clothes the boys have outgrown.  Maybe stop by library if boys are up for it. 
  • Back home: exercise, second round of piano, boys get 15" of screen time (hurrah for rest week!) while I clean, have lunch.  Or do lunch first and then the other stuff, depending on how long errands take. 
  • Language work, and writing program instead of math today for elder, few more cleaning chunks, last round of pianol
  • Dinner: ????  Either sausage with rice & veggies, or if sausage doesn't work then a cobbled-together meal from my Deep South roots: bacon, sauteed apple slices, some greens, other veggies, and (because there is no way biscuits are happening today) bread or rice.  We can eat that for dinner b/c DH is out of town 🙂  . 
  • I ought to answer several e-mails, and work on my character/RPG stuff.

Hugs to all y'all.  Or air kisses, depending on Personal Space Preferences.  Hope today goes well. 

• Like 2

Morning! 

Yesterday got derailed by the errands, which took (naturally) longer than expected.  These threads are pointing out to me what a chronic overscheduler I am.  Sigh. 

Looking forward: today,

• AM:
    • elder, some math + online class;
    • younger, piano, math, reading
    • me: 15" chunks of finding snacks for the afternoon guests; cleaning kitchen; living room; school area; sorting out paperwork; planning school -- do as many as I can, in whatever order.
  • lunch: make lots of veggies for me; lunch for boys; read aloud at lunch; then get boys outside a bit before ...
  • PM:
    • friends over around 1 PM <--- this was awesome!!!
    • after friends, a bit of time to just play around and then finish piano; draft tomorrow's school. 
    • exercise all around
    • make dinner, evening chores, &c. 
  • Like 4

Morning! Art yesterday, and I worked for hours on one single moving scene to cut 350 words. Don't want to do that again. 

Today's goals:

House: laundry, dishes, cat boxes, clean something, maybe

Cooking: none

School: look at next week to see if there isn't a day to go fishing

Writing: review late notes on my novel, see if I agree with some places to cut, and then move ahead. That's probably all I have headspace for today.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Mommyof1 said:

Awaiting a package DD7 Valentine's day present.

Us, too (but for different ages). 

Today focus:

• piano -- lesson, plus begin serious work on building joy in their music whilst keeping our toes in classical skill development;
  • language work (it has been very casual this week, a lot of focus on building interest in the ancient cultures + work for elder's online class);
  • math;
  • one other school item per child.
  • cleaning: usual cycle, focus on doing some piles-of-paper cleaning
  • e-mail catch up
  • dinner: "galette" pizza, salad if the greens aren't wilted -- otherwise, broccoli.  Something chocolate would be lovely.
  • exercise, boys
  • exercise, me
  • watch some of a movie or series with DH tonight
  • Like 3

Morning!  Starting a list for today:

Cleaning rounds, incl. paperwork; set up Evan Moor geo, science for younter + MP geo for elder; schedule government book for younger; type up checklist for SOTW3 and get feel for timeline to finish; look at "note perfect project"; use curriculum manual to scaffold next week for younger + week after that (with stickies); plan earth science work (ie make time to do some) with younger -- retrench to do this w/ MP astronomy?; come up with a "year end" marker for the school year and adjust plans so that the boys feel it is a real milestone;

• Like 2