Menu

News: Papyrus is closing all stores

Arcadia

From Fortune https://fortune.com/2020/01/21/papyrus-closing-all-stores-stationary-retailer/

Stationery chain Papyrus, which once had over 450 stores throughout the U.S., is shutting the doors of its standalone stores.

The company that has operated the retail chain is reportedly closing all of its locations nationwide, citing "current challenges of the retail industry." Liquidation sales are already underway at several stores. (The company's cards and branded products will continue to be sold at other stores, but will no longer have standalone locations.) 

Schurman Retail Group, which licensed the Papyrus brand from its owner American Greetings, has not issued a statement about the closings and calls to its customer support lines went to a voicemail. The Papyrus website, though, now clearly states that all sales are final and no returns or guarantees will be honored.

As of Tuesday morning, all merchandise online is 20% off.

Papyrus was founded in 1950, specializing in greeting cards, gift bags, paper products and writing accessories, and most recently had 260 stores, according to its Website. The chain focused on major markets in the Northeast, the San Francisco Bay area, Tampa, Chicago, and Indianapolis. American Greetings Corporation acquired the Papyrus brand in 2009. Schurman then licensed the brand and ran the specialty retail locations. The shutdown of those stores will not impact sales of the company's products at other retailers.”

• Sad 4

It makes me sad because it was one of the few places I've found where you could buy regular notecards (nice ones!) and not just ones that say, "Thanks!".  Our local Hallmark store closed, but they mostly had either monogram (initial) or thank you notes  in boxes. Of course, they had regular greeting cards - some blank, but they are expensive to purchase singly. 

So I do think the art of letter writing is dying. 

49 minutes ago, Serenade said:

You can by Papyrus cards at the grocery store where I shop.  I wonder if Papyrus will still sell through outlets such as that?

Only the standalone stores are going to be closed. They will still sell through other stores.

• Like 1

That makes me sad.  The store closest to me closed last year before Christmas.  I stopped at a Papyrus at an upscale mall (in an area I rarely go to due to traffic and distance) after an appt just before Christmas this year and bought a music box for dd.  She started collecting their music boxes several year ago.  I'm sorry to see those stores closing.  Most of the Hallmarks around me have closed as well.  I think there is only 1 left now, near the local mall.  Mardels is gone too