Menu

A surprising positive side effect from a neck surgery

Scarlett

My Dh had a neck surgery in November.  He had C4-7 fixed.....they were collapsed and it was causing pain down his shoulder, numbness etc.  doctor took two chunks of bone from his hip and put them in his neck, along with a plate....anyway, he is better.  His pain down his shoulder has gone.  

AND the problem he had with his esophagus closing up and not allowing food to go down..it is gone.  I had read that the nerves from those neck discs affect/control among other things the esophagus.  No doctor ever made the connection in all the times he had been in for his esophagus problems.  He does still have the reflux which is also a problem but obviously separate from the closing up problem.  

Once again, we ( collective all of us) have to advocate for ourselves.  I thought I would share in case someone else is suffering from this.  

• Like 16

Just now, wintermom said:

Wow. That must have been a challenging surgery. Do the drs know what caused the vertebrae collapse? I hope his recovery is going well. Excellent news about the esophagus!

Worn down.  Cumulative damage,  doing construction for 20 years really took a toll on his body.  Sheetrock work....the looking up, doing ceilings, carry heavy loads of Sheetrock...all of it added to the damage.  

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Sorry if I missed this earlier- but I remember he had passed out a time or two? So was this related to that?

We specifically  asked the surgeon if the passing out could be related to the neck and/or esophagus.  He was not really convinced but kind of shrugged and said it’s possible.  Personally I think the neck/esophagus and passing out were all related.  

54 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

What a great outcome.  So glad he's found relief.

I'm someone who often gets food (and water!!!) stuck in my esophagus.   I do need to figure it out.

Before the surgery it had progressed to where it was happening to him 3-5 times a week. I am so happy for him.  What I don’t understand is why the gastro doc doesn’t know about this connection.  Dh has had his esophagus stretched  multiple times...had many tests....and no one every considered a neurological connection.