Menu

Bathroom remodel questions...edited for details

Excelsior! Academy

How much does it generally cost to remove a cast iron tub and replace with a shower?  What about tiling an area that has damaged wainscoting?  The room is tiny.  Just barely holds a tub and toilet.  

Our children's bathroom has a large walk in area with double sinks and a separate tub/toilet room with a door.  What would it cost to remove the wall and inner door to have one large bathroom?

We aren't wanting to do a full remodel, just add a prefab shower and possibly remove a wall.  

Edited by Excelsior! Academy

I don't have an idea on price but did have a thought on the bathroom.  Depending on the number, ages and gender of the kids, it might be handy to keep the separation between the shower/toilet and sinks.   That way one or more can be fixing their hair, washing up, brushing teeth, etc while another is using the toilet or showering.

• Like 2

We remodeled and expanded our master bath 2 yrs ago.  I was recently going over all the costs and it was almost $24,000.  We removed a wall and changed the layout as well.  But, that included adding a 2nd closet to our bedroom and changing to a soaker tub. (I think going to a shower would be cheaper).   There was also some unexpected costs too (there always is).   It turned out the previous owner did not use the right joists when he did a DIY bathroom job.  The floor was almost rotted through and we had to replace several joists.   We had noticed the floor was very bouncy, just didn't realize we were close to falling through!  We also moved the plumbing for the sinks. 

I live in a HOL area 

I would guess around $5,000 to remove the tub and replace it with a shower, but that is heavily dependent on your COL.  Tile is relatively cheap, but labor is not (this darned good economy!).  About 7 or 8 years ago, we remodeled a small, 7x5 full bath, for $8,000.  That was a new tub, tile, toilet, fixtures and a custom vanity with a marble countertop, and pulling out a closet and installing open shelving in its place.  It seemed like a lot at the time but was really a good price when I look back on it.  Removing a wall is not really that big of a deal, but it will mean the whole room (ceiling included) will need to be painted, and the flooring probably also will need to be replaced.

One tip:  buy the best fixtures you can find.  I did not care what mine looked like and just bought something without paying much attention, thinking they were all the same quality.  WRONG.  My shower handles are PLASTIC, something I did not know until they'd already been installed.  

• Like 2

We did two smaller bathrooms. It was a complete gut. We replaced the tubs with showers, frameless doors to open up the space. Get the best fixtures you can afford. The ones at the big box stores contain plastic. We went to a specialty place and really didn’t pay much more then the big box hardware store. Ours came to around $10,000 each, about 4 years ago. We live in NOVA.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

We remodeled and expanded our master bath 2 yrs ago.  I was recently going over all the costs and it was almost $24,000.  We removed a wall and changed the layout as well.  But, that included adding a 2nd closet to our bedroom and changing to a soaker tub. (I think going to a shower would be cheaper).   There was also some unexpected costs too (there always is).   It turned out the previous owner did not use the right joists when he did a DIY bathroom job.  The floor was almost rotted through and we had to replace several joists.   We had noticed the floor was very bouncy, just didn't realize we were close to falling through!  We also moved the plumbing for the sinks. 

I live in a HOL area 

😲 $24,000?  Ouch!

6 hours ago, May said:

We did two smaller bathrooms. It was a complete gut. We replaced the tubs with showers, frameless doors to open up the space. Get the best fixtures you can afford. The ones at the big box stores contain plastic. We went to a specialty place and really didn’t pay much more then the big box hardware store. Ours came to around $10,000 each, about 4 years ago. We live in NOVA.

Good suggestion!  I wouldn't think to check to see if they were plastic!  

4 minutes ago, Excelsior! Academy said:

Good suggestion!  I wouldn't think to check to see if they were plastic!  

My hubby replaced faucets in both bathrooms at least twice, in the first six years. This happened before our remodel. Both times it was because of leaks. Since our remodel, all work fine.

• Like 1