Menu

learning spanish - duolingo question

gardenmom5

Does anyone have any favorite sites beside duolingo? (and duolingo's tinycards, and tiny stories)

eta: I can't access my account!  I created it with gmail, and then it will ask me if I want to sign in with google - and that's it.  nothing happens. I can't even change the password!  have they done something?  I tried my google password - doesn't work.  I really don't want to start a whole new account (I don't want to lose everything I've already done!)

UPDATE: was finally able to sign in with my username instead of the email.  I promptly changed the email to another one . . . . .  

Edited by gardenmom5

Following. Learning Spanish is one of my serious goals for the year. I've been using Duolingo, ULAT, and lots of YouTube. (And the "See it Say it" curriculum with the kids.) Also Salsa on Georgia Public Broadcasting  

eta: as far as YouTube goes, there's several telenovelas (Destinio, Maria...Barrio), as well as books in Spanish for kids, and actual "classes" I'm using. 

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 2

Have you ever looked at the old book Madrigal's Magic Key to Spanish? It focuses on parallels between English and Spanish to teach Spanish.

Depending on your level and goals you might get benefit from the News on Slow Spanish podcast.

If you have time for a project you could create an Anki deck and add to it as you pick up new vocabulary. The Fluent Forever guy's blog had some good step-by-step instructions. Anki's big benefit is that it does spaced repetition to have you review cards before you have completely forgotten them. Duo used to do that, but I feel like they moved away from that approach a couple of years ago. Once you get Anki set up, it is ready to use and add to. I use it be bones, but there are lots of bells and whistles available. Plus, it is open source and free.

• Like 1

I am working on my Spanish as well.  Duolingo is part of it.  I also bought and went through this very easy to use workbook Getting Started with Spanish  I went through it the regular way and then once I got to lesson 20 or 30 I started at the first lessons translating from English into Spanish by using the answer key for the lesson and then double checking my work with the actual lesson.  That helped solidify things for me even more.

Here is the very cheesy, 1980s soap opera type show that teaches Spanish.  https://archive.learner.org/series/destinos/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

Following. Learning Spanish is one of my serious goals for the year. I've been using Duolingo, ULAT, and lots of YouTube. (And the "See it Say it" curriculum with the kids.) Also Salsa on Georgia Public Broadcasting  

eta: as far as YouTube goes, there's several telenovelas (Destinio, Maria...Barrio), as well as books in Spanish for kids, and actual "classes" I'm using. 

what is ULAT?