Menu

Clover Valley Chemistry

Well, my sweet boy who is 16 and doesn't like most teachers . . . loves Connie. (Trust me, that's a huge compliment.)

And we even had a severe miscommunication w/ Connie -- totally my fault -- and she began wondering if my Mr. Ethical kid was cheating. He wasn't.

He wasn't showing his work which really bothered her, but he was also doing Dual Enrollment and his college classes matter grade-wise. I should have put him into college's chem, but I didn't. Not seeing how life was changing for us, I signed him up for the AP Chemistry and it's been super challenging. But he loves it and says that the college class now will be a breeze. (Connie said the same thing.)

Here's the thing: from what Connie told me. . . the AP Chem is for kids who may really go into a career where chem is needed. The regular chem is for the rest of the people. For that reason I wish I'd signed up my ds for the regular chem. But he's handling the AP Chem even though there was a point when I said, "Look the college classes matter. If you want to drop Chem you can." But he didn't so it goes into May '20.

If this doesn't make sense, let me know!

Alley

Both my boys are taking it. I’d say it’s an average of about 1.5 hours a day (or, per weekday) for them - though some days they spend less and others more - especially around tests and occasional experiments. They both put in more time around the midterm, though they ended up with radically different results. Sigh. But that’s not on Connie! It’s on poor time management and study skills of a particular kid. Anyway, I’m very happy with it and both my boys are too.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 4:31 PM, Roadrunner said:

I am not interested in AP or honors chem. I only want time spent on regular chem. Was he in regular chem?

I was sick yesterday which is why I didn't read your post originally. I'm so sorry.

I'll just give the hours for AP for future readers: to get 95 %, ds says four hours a day/five days a week. To basically get a "C" -- 3 hours a day/six days a week (which is how he's doing). He's struggled, but likes the challenge. I wished I'd put him in regular Chem.

He wants me to tell you that "the class is fun and well taught."

I'm sorry I didn't catch that you wanted Regular Chem only. I wasn't me yesterday.

Alley

Edited by Alicia64
  • Like 1

And, for future readers, Connie doesn’t currently teach AP Chem. She offers a very vigorous Honors Chem or regular chem as first year courses (in addition to an advanced course). But, as always, it’s best to check her current offerings by visiting Clover Valley Chemistry. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just hopped on the board after being absent for a while. My son is currently enrolled in the regular Clover Valley chemistry class. He spends about 1-1/2 hours a day on chemistry if not more. But part of that is the way he rolls.....his favorite animal is a turtle and I swear some days he thinks he is one ;). Great class, so wonderfully organized and detailed. He's enjoyed it and has been sufficiently challenged by it. I almost didn't write anything as I'd like to keep Connie a secret until my youngest has enrolled in her class! But she is so good, I had to say something. 

• Like 6

On 1/2/2020 at 5:25 PM, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I will tell you one (of many) thing I appreciate. Connie weighted the midterm lightly (10%) which an excellent learning experience for some people who shall remain nameless and didn't understand how to correctly prepare for the midterm (despite there being large amount of material to assist and a Mother to help with said prep), thinking it would be like any other test one can cram for, so that maybe the hypothetical persons will understand the value of preparedness and how to prepare when the Final, which counts for 30%, comes in the Spring. 😉

+1.  +2 even.

'but...I knew how to do this 4 months ago!'  yes, but that was 4 months ago. 

'but...I didn't keep the reply emails w/ the test feedback from chapter 2!'   un-huh.  that was silly, and I told you that @ the time.  🙂

DD16 taking the honors course @  CVC, and yes - we love Connie.  And Chemistry Mole.  Highly recommend the class (honors or otherwise). Honors, at least, is time consuming. but providing many benefits.

• 1 year later...
On 1/3/2020 at 5:13 PM, Alicia64 said:

I was sick yesterday which is why I didn't read your post originally. I'm so sorry.

I'll just give the hours for AP for future readers: to get 95 %, ds says four hours a day/five days a week. To basically get a "C" -- 3 hours a day/six days a week (which is how he's doing). He's struggled, but likes the challenge. I wished I'd put him in regular Chem.

He wants me to tell you that "the class is fun and well taught."

I'm sorry I didn't catch that you wanted Regular Chem only. I wasn't me yesterday.

Alley

When you say "AP Chemistry" do you mean the Honors Chemistry class?   From what I gather, I don't think she offers an AP Chemistry class.  I am thinking it is probably a mistype.  

I am also hoping that the 3-5 HOURS PER DAY is a mistype?!   I don't mean to hijack the thread, but are you saying that it takes 3-5 hours per day for the Honors Chemistry?   My son really wants to take it next year.  He loves science, but he is not the fastest worker in the world.  Is this what I should be prepared for?  

35 minutes ago, TheAttachedMama said:

When you say "AP Chemistry" do you mean the Honors Chemistry class?   From what I gather, I don't think she offers an AP Chemistry class.  I am thinking it is probably a mistype.  

I am also hoping that the 3-5 HOURS PER DAY is a mistype?!   I don't mean to hijack the thread, but are you saying that it takes 3-5 hours per day for the Honors Chemistry?   My son really wants to take it next year.  He loves science, but he is not the fastest worker in the world.  Is this what I should be prepared for?  

OP here.

We ended up in the honors course. It takes DS up to 2 hours a day. So 10 hours per week is a good estimate. We have days when he is done in an hour. But we also have weekends when labs eat up more time. 
It’s a great course. We started out in the honors chem thinking he was going to drop down to the regular, but chemistry ended up being a fairly straightforward class for him. 

Just now, Roadrunner said:

OP here.

We ended up in the honors course. It takes DS up to 2 hours a day. So 10 hours per week is a good estimate. We have days when he is done in an hour. But we also have weekends when labs eat up more time. 
It’s a great course. We started out in the honors chem thinking he was going to drop down to the regular, but chemistry ended up being a fairly straightforward class for him. 

Oh thank goodness!   (Huge sigh!).