Menu

Well-Trained Bodies January 2020- Ring in the New Year with Exercise

Soror

Yesterday was lifting and CKD class.  Lifting was great, CKD was a little disheartening since we sparred and that is my weakest area.  Anytime I feel the least bit overwhelmed by someone, I freeze up, frantically trying to think of the "right" thing to do.  Bah.  However, the chief instructor was there, and he told me that my son and I will have no problem with the black belt test.  He said we are 100% prepared (with exception of the brown belt stuff we are working on now) and he has no concerns about us.  We'll still get a series of private lessons with him March and April to help us "peak" for it, but his confidence really bolstered my confidence. 

I'll be drilling CKD this morning and then working hard outside at my parents' this afternoon.  I have been slacking on using my upright punching bag lately, so I'm going to make sure I do some time on it 3x a week.  Plus I need to work on my spinning kicks.  My son can do them peeeeeerrrrfectly which is so annoying so good for him!  Lol.

• Like 4

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Yesterday was lifting and CKD class.  Lifting was great, CKD was a little disheartening since we sparred and that is my weakest area.  Anytime I feel the least bit overwhelmed by someone, I freeze up, frantically trying to think of the "right" thing to do.  Bah.  However, the chief instructor was there, and he told me that my son and I will have no problem with the black belt test.  He said we are 100% prepared (with exception of the brown belt stuff we are working on now) and he has no concerns about us.  We'll still get a series of private lessons with him March and April to help us "peak" for it, but his confidence really bolstered my confidence. 

I'll be drilling CKD this morning and then working hard outside at my parents' this afternoon.  I have been slacking on using my upright punching bag lately, so I'm going to make sure I do some time on it 3x a week.  Plus I need to work on my spinning kicks.  My son can do them peeeeeerrrrfectly which is so annoying so good for him!  Lol.

I am certain the instructor is right, I doubt there will be many more prepared.

I have been thinking off and on that I wish there was some sort of boxing class here, but I don't want to fight people and don't trust myself to learn correctly on my own with a bag.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Sounds like you have a great plan to be very well prepared for your black belt test! And I learned through personal experience that the 1st degree black belt, while a HUGE accomplishment, is a great foundation on which to build up more and more skills and knowledge. You don't have to be "perfect' for this level - there is so much more to learn and absorb. By my 3rd degree, I had gained that much more knowledge and confidence with all my skills.

This doesn't diminish in any way the wonderful achievements you've already made, and those coming for the BB test. All this foundational content takes a lot of work, and is necessary for all the exciting things you and your ds will do as black belts, if you choose to continue!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Workout done.

10 min. upper body stretch/10 min lower body stretch/ 10 min mobility/movnat

50#-Bucket Carry- 5 min/.25 miles

I did my carry inside since I was going so much heavier and it was cold. I had planned 7 min but my walking timer had 5 and 10 minute intervals so I went lower. However, that worked really well as that is the distance and weight I will be doing for the actual race. I need to work up to doing that on harder terrain, I was feeling it just walking around the house. 

Yet again, that 50# bucket carry is at least twice as hard as the 90# farmer carry and I ended up with scratches on my chest and arms from it digging in.

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

I meant to congratulate @IvyInFlorida on the belt test!  And wow, @soror, I'm impressed with your bucket carry.  I had to go google what the heck you were really carrying - I kind of thought it was a metaphorical bucket (like with farmer carry, you're not actually carrying cow feed) - but yeah, real bucket!  

9 minutes ago, PinkTulip said:

I don’t post in these threads regularly, but I am working at it, and the accountability is good for me. So having said that, I hit my goal of rowing 100,000 meters in January, and am down a total of 5 pounds since Christmas. Yay! 

Yay!  Do you only row on the erg, or do you ever row on the water?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Matryoshka said:

Just the erg. I live in a very landlocked state with cold winters and no good local options for on the water rowing in good weather. But I settle in with a good show on my iPad and crank it out. I’m super slow (2:35-ish/500 m), but I have good stamina and most of my rows are in the 5000-7500 m range (about the length of a tv show!)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PinkTulip said:

Just the erg. I live in a very landlocked state with cold winters and no good local options for on the water rowing in good weather. But I settle in with a good show on my iPad and crank it out. I’m super slow (2:35-ish/500 m), but I have good stamina and most of my rows are in the 5000-7500 m range (about the length of a tv show!)

What kind of an erg do you have?  For some reason I have a much different split on the Concept 2's than on a water rower.  I prefer the former even though the water rower says I'm way faster, lol.  For a row that long on a Concept 2, that's not so bad, unless you're way younger than me.  After 50 apparently power just goes down a lot, like off a cliff - in races your boat time gets handicapped a bunch if you have older vs younger rowers - so I'm feeling good if my splits stay the same instead of getting worse.  

I downloaded a Master's (aka old people's) guide to rowing, and they had this helpful but depressing chart on rowing performance as you age.  i'm already at the very end of the chart as shown - but I know rowers in their 70's, so I'm just a-gonna keep going anyway, lol.  

image.png.1079dd23f3fcda2f97ff3165ded00c3d.png

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 2

I have a Concept 2 Model D, rowing here at age 48. 😊 I have no desire to ever race - I just love the feeling I have when I’ve really pushed myself, and I love the increased strength and stamina I get from rowing regularly. It’s also really peaceful to me to just zone out and go hard. I have a lot of stressful things going on in my life, and rowing is kind of my refuge for affirmation that I am capable and can do hard things. 

• Like 2

Just now, PinkTulip said:

I have a Concept 2 Model D, rowing here at age 48. 😊 I have no desire to ever race - I just love the feeling I have when I’ve really pushed myself, and I love the increased strength and stamina I get from rowing regularly. It’s also really peaceful to me to just zone out and go hard. I have a lot of stressful things going on in my life, and rowing is kind of my refuge for affirmation that I am capable and can do hard things. 

Yeah, I agree.  I didn't have any desire to race, just to push myself, but there was nothing available other than learn-to-row unless I joined a Masters group, so I did.  We usually only race our 2 home regattas (one's a 1k, the other a 5k), and come in about 2nd-to-last, lol.  Last year we didn't race at all, though.  It's soooo peaceful on the water - I love being on the river.

• Like 2

I’m jealous that you have on the water options. I was a swimmer when I was growing up and being on or under water is my most peaceful place. I imagine it’s a completely different feeling than the erg. 

I’m always happy to talk rowing with you. I don’t know anyone irl who rows. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PinkTulip said:

I’m jealous that you have on the water options. I was a swimmer when I was growing up and being on or under water is my most peaceful place. I imagine it’s a completely different feeling than the erg. 

I’m always happy to talk rowing with you. I don’t know anyone irl who rows. 

I didn't think there were on the water options, especially for someone middle aged who'd never rowed before.  A friend found the learn-to program, and once I knew where to look, there's way more than I realized.  You must have some kind of rivers or lakes?  There's a club closer to me on a lake, but I prefer the river. Look for Masters rowing. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FarmingMomma said:

Finishing up week 9 of 80 day obsession.  The workouts have increased in intensity and really kicked my butt this week, but the number on the scale is decreasing and my clothes are getting looser, and my muscles are getting more defined, so I keep pushing through!

WTG, feels good to see the results.

12 hours ago, wintermom said:

I went for a nice hike in the woods with 2 friends. I've had an excellent run of getting to the woods everyday this week! 😁

That is a wonderful streak, good for you!

9 hours ago, PinkTulip said:

I don’t post in these threads regularly, but I am working at it, and the accountability is good for me. So having said that, I hit my goal of rowing 100,000 meters in January, and am down a total of 5 pounds since Christmas. Yay! 

Wow, 100k meters seems like an insane amount to me, that is awesome, congrats on the weight too.

9 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

I meant to congratulate @IvyInFlorida on the belt test!  And wow, @soror, I'm impressed with your bucket carry.  I had to go google what the heck you were really carrying - I kind of thought it was a metaphorical bucket (like with farmer carry, you're not actually carrying cow feed) - but yeah, real bucket!  

LOL, a literal 5 gallon bucket, without the handle is what is used in races.

Going to lift with my friend today as soon as I get done teaching, woot, woot!

Family hike planned tomorrow for the nice weather

• Like 3

Hi guys, just wanted to let y'all know I'll be gone for a few days--my dad is in the hospital.  My mom and I were in the ER with him all night until he was put into a room in the ICU.  It looks like he will recover, but the next few days are going to be really crazy and exhausting with a bunch of trips to the big city to the hospital.  Y'all keep gettin' after it and I'll see ya on the flip side!

• Sad 4

5 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Hi guys, just wanted to let y'all know I'll be gone for a few days--my dad is in the hospital.  My mom and I were in the ER with him all night until he was put into a room in the ICU.  It looks like he will recover, but the next few days are going to be really crazy and exhausting with a bunch of trips to the big city to the hospital.  Y'all keep gettin' after it and I'll see ya on the flip side!

I'm so sorry prayers and good thoughts with your family.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Sorry your dad is not well. That is great you can be with your mom to help out. All the best. Thoughts and prayers are with you all.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, soror said:

That is a wonderful streak, good for you!

Going to lift with my friend today as soon as I get done teaching, woot, woot!

Family hike planned tomorrow for the nice weather

I'm hoping to keep the outdoor activity streak going for longer. It's good weather this weekend. Cold enough to keep the snow firm, but not freezing. 

Have a wonderful family hike!!

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

I'm hoping to keep the outdoor activity streak going for longer. It's good weather this weekend. Cold enjoy to keep the snow firm, but not freezing. 

Have a wonderful family hike!!

I hope to start a streak with good weather coming in here and the illness past. Snow isn't considered good weather here unless it is Christmas 🙂

I had an excellent workout with my friend. We did d3/Phase 4 of the pull-up program- pull-ups, single leg deadlifts, inverted row, kneeling landmine press, goblet squats w/ hold, and bird dogs w/ rows. Then we moved onto 'fun' stuff- different types of tossing w the sandballs, tire flips w/ the half-tires inside - 160# and then we went outside and flipped full tractor tires. From what I can find out looks like the one we were flipping was right at 200#, which is perfect as that is what I need to flip for my race. It honestly wasn't terribly hard except for getting a grip, I need to go out there for flips sometime to get used to doing it on the ground like that. 

eta: Evidently I only have to do 2 flips of the tire for the race, I did sets of 4 on the 200# tire so I am feeling good about that obstacle, just need more practice so I am more adept at getting a grip.

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Yeah, I agree.  I didn't have any desire to race, just to push myself, but there was nothing available other than learn-to-row unless I joined a Masters group, so I did.  We usually only race our 2 home regattas (one's a 1k, the other a 5k), and come in about 2nd-to-last, lol.  Last year we didn't race at all, though.  It's soooo peaceful on the water - I love being on the river.

Have you come across this guy's story?

https://row-360.com/breaking-out-a-mans-redemption-through-rowing/

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, soror said:

I hope to start a streak with good weather coming in here and the illness past. Snow isn't considered good weather here unless it is Christmas 🙂

I had an excellent workout with my friend. We did d3/Phase 4 of the pull-up program- pull-ups, single leg deadlifts, inverted row, kneeling landmine press, goblet squats w/ hold, and bird dogs w/ rows. Then we moved onto 'fun' stuff- different types of tossing w the sandballs, tire flips w/ the half-tires inside - 160# and then we went outside and flipped full tractor tires. From what I can find out looks like the one we were flipping was right at 200#, which is perfect as that is what I need to flip for my race. It honestly wasn't terribly hard except for getting a grip, I need to go out there for flips sometime to get used to doing it on the ground like that. 

eta: Evidently I only have to do 2 flips of the tire for the race, I did sets of 4 on the 200# tire so I am feeling good about that obstacle, just need more practice so I am more adept at getting a grip.

If snow isn't good, then y'all must not be skiers! What you consider "fun," with the tire flipping, is different than what I find fun.   😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, wintermom said:

If snow isn't good, then y'all must not be skiers! What you consider "fun," with the tire flipping, is different than what I find fun.   😂

LOL, I did quote marks, it is a different kind of fun, you know 🙂

We don't have any mountains here anyway, lots of woods, so nope no skiing or winter sports at all. Schools do basketball in the winter as it is played inside.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, soror said:

LOL, I did quote marks, it is a different kind of fun, you know 🙂

We don't have any mountains here anyway, lots of woods, so nope no skiing or winter sports at all. Schools do basketball in the winter as it is played inside.

Is tire flipping a little like cow tipping, but safer? 😉

Most of our ice hockey is indoors here, as outdoors is either too cold or too warm to keep the ice conditions consistent. Curling is another indoor winter sport that keeps its participants cold. We must be gluttons for punishment here. 🙄

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Is tire flipping a little like cow tipping, but safer? 😉

Most of our ice hockey is indoors here, as outdoors is either too cold or too warm to keep the ice conditions consistent. Curling is another indoor winter sport that keeps its participants cold. We must be gluttons for punishment here. 🙄

LOL, I've never tipped cows, so maybe?

They have hockey in the city here but they use indoor rinks, no places around here have hockey though, we couldn't afford the rinks.

I started the Feb thread ladies!

• Like 1