Menu

Notice from MVA to register a car we've never owned

PrincessMommy

I'm wondering if there's been some kind of identity theft.  

My dh received a legit notice from our local MVA telling us it's time to renew a car we don't own.  We've never owned this make and year car.   We're going to call tomorrow but I think only my dh can talk with them since he got the notice. 

I'm hoping they somehow messed up the email for the actual person who owns the car... but I'm worried it might be something worse.

contact the credit agencies now - put a lock on them so credit can only be granted by someone who can answer a phone at a specific number.  you are supposed to be able to check your credit with each agency once a year for free.  

while the best case is the mvd just got the wrong person there well could be identity fraud. 

(I once had the city water dept hand deliver a water shut-off notice. they were off by 10 blocks. the correct address was on the notice.  I called the city and let them know they gave it to the wrong person.  

• Like 1

You received it through email? Isn't it normal procedure for agencies to use snail mail for notices like this? I'm wondering if the notice itself isn't the fraud, trying to get information from you.

ETA: Make sure that you call them using a number you have obtained in a place other than from the email.

Edited by Jaybee
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

You received it through email? Isn't it normal procedure for agencies to use snail mail for notices like this? I'm wondering if the notice itself isn't the fraud, trying to get information from you.

Yep.  I would not answer the email but would go to the DMV site for your state and call the number on the official website.  I would not trust any contact info in the email.

• Like 3