Menu

Ordering photo prints in non-standard sizes

ThisIsTheDay

there are a bunch of sellers on amazon that do that.  I ordered a very large canvas print for dh's office - it was much cheaper than Costco, and they did a great job.

you can generally put your own dimensions up to their maximum size.

• Like 1

How is it 4x7?  What kind of camera did you use?

I’m asking because mpix.com has some odd sizes and they’re under categories like “smartphone sizes” and “DSLR Digital Sizes”, but I can’t quite find anything that is proportional to 4x7, so I was wondering how you got to that size.  

Edited by Garga

Pre-widespread-digital, I worked in a photo lab.  Our paper only came in  8” and 4 or 6” (I’m not 100% sure there) rolls, so any image had to be printed on one of those. 5x7s always required hand cropping because they were printed on 8” paper.  Even 8x10s had to be hand cropped because the (then-static) image ratio required printing at 8x12.

I don’t know what materials a “digital lab” may be using these days, but I’m sure they’re still limited on paper sizes, even if not quite as much as the old days.  An odd size is likely to still require hand cropping (by them or at home) because of that.  Personally, I think it’s better to do that oneself rather than have a stranger decide where to best crop.

For example, if someone wants a 4x4 and digitally crops their photo to a square ratio, but the printer has 5 or 6” paper, the image is going to be stretched and not leave much, if any, room to be cut down.  In that case, it would make much more sense to get a 4x6 printed of the entire image and trim to size at home.

If you’re able to find a specialty service that accommodates non-standard sizes, I’d recommend inquiring as to whether they adapt the digital image or crop the physical paper.  

• Like 1

On 12/5/2019 at 12:32 AM, Garga said:

How is it 4x7?  What kind of camera did you use?

I’m asking because mpix.com has some odd sizes and they’re under categories like “smartphone sizes” and “DSLR Digital Sizes”, but I can’t quite find anything that is proportional to 4x7, so I was wondering how you got to that size.  

On 12/5/2019 at 6:18 AM, Carrie12345 said:

Pre-widespread-digital, I worked in a photo lab.  Our paper only came in  8” and 4 or 6” (I’m not 100% sure there) rolls, so any image had to be printed on one of those. 5x7s always required hand cropping because they were printed on 8” paper.  Even 8x10s had to be hand cropped because the (then-static) image ratio required printing at 8x12.

I don’t know what materials a “digital lab” may be using these days, but I’m sure they’re still limited on paper sizes, even if not quite as much as the old days.  An odd size is likely to still require hand cropping (by them or at home) because of that.  Personally, I think it’s better to do that oneself rather than have a stranger decide where to best crop.

For example, if someone wants a 4x4 and digitally crops their photo to a square ratio, but the printer has 5 or 6” paper, the image is going to be stretched and not leave much, if any, room to be cut down.  In that case, it would make much more sense to get a 4x6 printed of the entire image and trim to size at home.

If you’re able to find a specialty service that accommodates non-standard sizes, I’d recommend inquiring as to whether they adapt the digital image or crop the physical paper.  

Thank you, I will look at amazon and etsy. It's just a selfie from my phone, but it's in wide angle to fit more than one person. I did find a slightly oversized option on Shutterfly (??), but it cut off my dog's nose, instead of cutting off the top of the sky. That's still better than cutting off the sides of my kids!  Unfortunately, I can't order a larger size and cut it myself at home, ordering with all that white space is not an option.

How about if you make a powerpoint of the print with a colored background?  You import it into power point, add a giant 8 X 10 rectangle, move behind picture, center everything how you like it, print out high res jpeg from PowerPoint, export that and have a print made from that, frame in 8X10 frame.

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1