Menu

Call the vet or wait?

Storygirl

Our 18 month old golden doodle is pacing around between rooms, with her tail between her legs. A little while ago, she was moving from place to place in the room, circling and circling to get ready to lie down (normally, she might circle once or twice, but just as often, she does not circle before resting). But then she would pop back up and start pacing again, almost immediately.

Okay, she just did that again, after a longer bout of pacing. She was on her pillow for two or three seconds and then got back up and is now pacing again.

I was gone this morning at a meeting and have been back for about 2.5 hours. I didn't notice this immediately, but now it's been going on for awhile.

DH says she seemed less energetic when she got up but acted normally on her little morning walk. She has not eaten her breakfast. She had a normal poo about an hour ago, and then I took her out again, since she was pacing, and she seemed to urinate normally (I was too far away to see clearly, but she squatted as usual). She chased her ball enthusiastically as usual when she was outside.

She also leaned on me heavily for a bit and tried to climb in my lap on the couch (this is not allowed, and she normally does not do it).

Her eyes and ears look a little sad and droopy.

I am guessing she is some kind of pain, but I don't know if I should wait and see if it goes away, or if I should get her to the vet.

She had her stomach tacked (gastropexy) when she was spayed in early June, so I don't think it is bloat.

She was just resting on the floor, and I timed it. Less than three minutes this time, and she is up and pacing again.

History -- she collapsed one day this spring before Easter and was hospitalized for a few days with dangerous levels of liver enzymes. The vet did blood work to look for a liver shunt and decided it was not the issue. She has been on a Denamarin liver supplement since then, but we stopped that after her liver bloodwork was normal at her annual exam in September.

This spring, she also had hormonal issues and a false pregnancy, and she had a few rounds of feeling poorly due to hormones over about two months, until she was cleared to be spayed.

Okay, she was down again and then up within a minute. Now she is pacing again.

Edited by Storygirl

She has never eaten a foreign object, like a sock or glove. She will carry those around in her mouth sometimes but has never chewed one up. She has chewed up a pencil before (not recently), and she will shred paper into bits, like a napkin.

Maybe she swallowed something? But I can't think of anything it would be. She was either in her crate or in someone's presence all morning.

Oh, man, I just figured it out. One of her dew claws is twisted and bloody. I can't stand to watch her pace in pain for the next two hours, so I called and amm taking her to the vet early. Hopefully they can make her a little more comfortable until the vet can see her.

I'm so sad, but it can be fixed. Hopefully that is all that there is.

• Like 6

We're back home. They had a cancellation, so we were able to see the vet sooner. The toe was not broken, and they were able to easily remove the nail, which was twisted sideways. Her leg is wrapped from toes to knee, and we have to keep the bandage on for a few days and administer some meds for 10 days. The funny thing is that she was not limping at all before (or I would have figured out the problem sooner), but now she is hopping around on three legs. The bandage must feel strange.

Other than the hopping, she seems fine now and is no longer pacing. She seems ready for a nap and doesn't want me to stop petting her.

The vet said it was probably pretty painful, like a human nail bent all the way back. I don't know how she managed to do that to herself!! But she's feeling better now.

Thanks!

#expensivepedicure

• Like 14