Menu

Seven year olds...

Absolutely no judgment what so ever.

I wondered (male or female) what children the same age as my daughter are into learning wise and there general preferences for fun ?

Do they love Math? Reading? Or do you struggle to get them to concentrate on anything at all educational?

What do they like to do as hobbies? Cartoon faves etc?

My daughter likes reading but hates writing and she loves swimming, tennis, minecraft, roblox, barbie roleplaying, singing, dancing, keyboard and noodles 😂

My 7yo son lags behind in reading but plods along steadily. He sits down, focuses and does his school work just fine and moves on to play. He doesn't mind if it's math, writing or reading. He loves to play with Legos, trains, marble runs and anything engineering. Loves squirrels and birds.

My 9yo daughter still does school like she did when she was 7. She loves reading, history and science but hates writing and math. She drags it out and cannot seem to comprehend that if she'll just do it, she'll be done. It's not just school work that she drags out. She can also drag out chores and even try to put off getting a flu shot. Loves gymnastics and climbing trees. Loves American Girl, Legos, Paw Patrol, and creating anything and everything out of every possible material known to mankind.

My seven year old is first of all VERY inquisitive. He is the type of kid who will ask "why" to everything, wants to know how everything works and won't rest until he gets a good answer. Teaching him how to look for those answers in books and trustworthy websites has saved me a lot of headaches. Our Google home works full time answering to his endless questions too. The downside is that he will also question a lot of what we tell him to do. Because I said so does not qualify as a good enough answer.

He's different than my other kids who are wild and are always running around. He doesn't like getting dirty and playing outside is not something he's very much interested in. I have to convince and sometimes bribe him to do it. We are the outdoorsy family type, but he is very much not at this point. He would much rather stay inside and play with legos and magna-blocks. He does like to swim in the indoor pool where he takes his lessons, but an outdoor pool not so much. When he's out he complains all the time that it's hot, even when it's really not. Granted, we live in Hawaii. He tells me he wishes we lived in Alaska. It's that bad.

Getting him to do things he's not interested in can be really hard. He loves math and science and likes history when it's interesting to him. He loved learning about ancients and middle ages, but moving on to early modern times with the same program, he hates it. Apparently it's boring. But writing and grammar are definitely his least favorites. Not even the fun Grammar Galaxy format helps, and as much as he loves reading fiction, he hates writing it, or any other type of writing.

This boy will read for hours, but only the books he chooses to read. Right now it's the Jedi Academy series. He has a Star Wars obsession I blame on his dad. I've tried to assign him books to read independently with no luck. As soon as he realised Charlotte's Web doesn't involve any super powers or epic battles, he was out. He will let me read to him as long as he gets to keep playing with his legos, and I don't mind. He will let me know how boring the story is though, several times.

• Haha 1

My 7 year old will read anything and everything, especially if it's a chapter book her older siblings have read and talked about. Right now she is obsessed with horses and the Warriors series of books (about wild cat "clans"). We found a free coloring page website and she and her 11 year old sister have printed off dozens and dozens of horse and cat pictures to color like their favorite book characters and plaster them on their bedroom walls. She tolerates math and does well with it but insists she doesn't like it - again, thanks to older siblings and their attitudes towards it. Up until this summer she was the spoiled youngest sibling, and she still is to some extent. She often doesn't try new things or give her best effort because she knows sooner or later one of her older siblings will help and/or do it for her. She does lots of trampoline jumping. She has a phenomenal memory - it had been a while since we had read a certain Harry Potter book aloud and so when I picked it up again I asked if anyone remembered where we had left off and when no one else answered she piped up and quoted the last sentence of the chapter we had read last! She is figuring out friendships and how to play in a group but can still be a bit awkward. We don't do T.V., just occasional movies, so she doesn't really have favorite characters unless they are in books. 

On 9/5/2019 at 9:59 AM, queenligoo said:

Absolutely no judgment what so ever.

I wondered (male or female) what children the same age as my daughter are into learning wise and there general preferences for fun ?

Do they love Math? Reading? Or do you struggle to get them to concentrate on anything at all educational?

What do they like to do as hobbies? Cartoon faves etc?

My daughter likes reading but hates writing and she loves swimming, tennis, minecraft, roblox, barbie roleplaying, singing, dancing, keyboard and noodles 😂

My 7yo will say that her favorite subject is math. She also likes to read.

For fun she reads, plays outside and with her sisters, draws, types Pokemon stories (thinks about Pokemon a lot actually), listens to audiobooks, etc. She doesn't seem to have her own favorite shows, but watches whatever her sisters like, ranging from preschool shows with the 3yo to those insufferable pre-teen Disney shows with the 8yo.

My DD is almost 7.

She loves anything science or art related. It isn't work to her its play.

She is very good at math but will tell you she doesnt like it, having to sit down with paper and pencil. She will do math problems all day, orally, on her own. 

She would rather play then do school. She is a physically active outdoor type so sitting to do something isn't fun for her unless it's part of her play.  She needs to learn, though, that not everything is fun and games. Some-things are hard work. Being so young, plus an only child, she gets a lot of free play. Which is important. 

On 9/6/2019 at 4:23 PM, MeaganS said:

My 7yo will say that her favorite subject is math. She also likes to read.

For fun she reads, plays outside and with her sisters, draws, types Pokemon stories (thinks about Pokemon a lot actually), listens to audiobooks, etc. She doesn't seem to have her own favorite shows, but watches whatever her sisters like, ranging from preschool shows with the 3yo to those insufferable pre-teen Disney shows with the 8yo.

my daughter likes pokemon too 😄

On 9/6/2019 at 5:19 PM, Mommyof1 said:

My DD is almost 7.

She loves anything science or art related. It isn't work to her its play.

She is very good at math but will tell you she doesnt like it, having to sit down with paper and pencil. She will do math problems all day, orally, on her own. 

She would rather play then do school. She is a physically active outdoor type so sitting to do something isn't fun for her unless it's part of her play.  She needs to learn, though, that not everything is fun and games. Some-things are hard work. Being so young, plus an only child, she gets a lot of free play. Which is important. 

yeah my DD is the same , would rather play.

im still trying to get into the hang of scheduling but honestly she is more hooked on roblox and role play recently and like the lady above with her son asking inquisitive questions ALL THE TIME so does she.

i love how the questions are so inadequaten depth smetimes, and other times i think...ugghh i don't know?!?! 😂

Mine loves to ask questions too. So many questions.  Sometimes she isnt happy with the answer unless it comes from the dictionary.

Today she asked me what a word meant and I told her. Later we were at a pool and she asked me about the same word. I asked if she remembered what I told her earlier. She said yes. I asked why did she ask again. She said, "well, I never asked you that question here." What? (I roll my eyes).

On 9/9/2019 at 3:34 AM, Mommyof1 said:

Mine loves to ask questions too. So many questions.  Sometimes she isnt happy with the answer unless it comes from the dictionary.

Today she asked me what a word meant and I told her. Later we were at a pool and she asked me about the same word. I asked if she remembered what I told her earlier. She said yes. I asked why did she ask again. She said, "well, I never asked you that question here." What? (I roll my eyes).

i LOVE this haha i adore these sorts of questions and responses!

Yesterday we had our dinner and i asked my daughter to finish her chicken... i asked for 3 pieces to be eaten on her plate.

she bit a piece and said...'that's one...' and put the rest of the same piece in her mouth and said  ' two...'   and smiled very cheekily at me...

so i said 'no that is one piece.. not two'

and she replies 'technically mummy i have had two cos i made it into 2 halves...from the one'

so i said 'ok il go get another two breasts seen as you are only eating one and i asked you to eat three...'

she said, 'fine i wont be silly i'l just eat another 2 pieces...' and rolled her eyes at me lol

My seven year old son LOVES reading- he is a voracious reader and will read anything he can get his hands on. His favorites have been Harry Potter (he is just finishing book two, and we will stop him after that for now as the books get darker in nature), The Chronicles of Narnia, and he also loves more twaddley books like Dog Man and Captain Underpants. 

He is learning cursive (so far, he hates it), is on 3a of Singapore Math. He does NOT love Math, but he is very good at it. He loves science, nature and the outdoors. As for cartoons, his favorites are Teen Titans and Gumball. He also loves Minecraft (though were severely limit his access to any electronics) and LEGO. He spends a lot of time riding his bike and hanging out with his dog. He also loves his PE class where he can hang out with all of his friends for a couple of hours. 

My 7 year old is all over the place. Just this morning "I haaaaatteeeee language arts. Do I haaaaave to?" Three minutes later: laughing at the language arts page because she actually really enjoys it. "Math? No! I don't want to do math! I hate math so much." Five minutes later "can I do another page?" Halfway through page "this is boring!"  One day: reading a ch book no problem. The next day: "I can't read that! It's too hard!" to the same book. 

She loves (usually): My little pony, Trolls, gymnastics, board/strategy/card games, and baking. She doesn't like: having to stop/slow down to do something not her idea. 

I love that she loves baking and she actually does an incredible job. I print her out a recipe and she does it fully independently aside from me pulling the finished product out of the oven. Now we just have to get her to be as independent and thorough at cleaning up after these baking projects!!

Mine, 7 year old girl, really likes watching 5 minute crafts videos on youtube and trying to do some of them.  She also likes the how do they make it type of videos on youtube (like "how marshmallows are made" or whatever) and other types of how-to.  She likes to read the Magic Tree House books and play soccer informally with her brothers in the living room.