Menu

Writing Curriculum suggestions - not IEW

Bay Lake Mom

I would like to find a writing curriculum for my 6th grader that teaches basic skills such as writing a book report, a letter, a short story...  

We have started our year using IEW SWI-B. We are about a month in, and I find it to be so boring and annoying. I don’t feel like she is really learning anything, and we are both tired of key word outlines. I would love to have her working on writing projects that have a purpose so she can see why these skills are important. She has also been using Fix It Grammar, and she likes it so we will continue with this. 

Any suggestions?

Abeka, BJU, How to Report on Books (love this), Mrs. Renz book projects (now on tpt maybe, used to be free on her blog).

What you might do is a combo like the Creative Writer stuff from PHP plus How to Report on Books plus a couple projects. You're probably just wanting her to write 1-2 letters, so anything meaningful to her will do. A writing handbook will have formats.

https://www.amazon.com/How-Report-Books-Grades-5-6/dp/1596730862/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1543424086&sr=8-1&keywords=how+to+report+on+books

The Creative Writer: Level One: Five Finger Exercises (The Creative Writer)                                     

https://www.abeka.com/abekaonline/bookdescription.aspx?sbn=303267&childSbn=174645

This is their 7th grade https://www.abeka.com/abekaonline/bookdescription.aspx?sbn=138835&gclid=CjwKCAjwzJjrBRBvEiwA867byiy1mYgj5ODDH8RRViMPROZbVt6oUQsXqVxQq1p97tLKq22ERqmbIRoCoYkQAvD_BwE  But you could piddle other things and go into it next year or grab the gr6.

• Like 1

In addition to Cover Story, Beyond the Book Report, and Winning With Writing all mentioned above, you might look at Jump In -- it covers most of your desired writing assignments:

expository writing:
- biography
- book report
- book response
- newspaper article
- a "how to" (process essay)
- compare and contrast

persuasive writing:
- cause and effect

descriptive writing:
- short description

narrative writing:
- short narrative

creative writing:
- poetry writing

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Targhee said:

I immediately thought of Beyond the Book Report, though it’s not one I have used

I thought of this too and I've never used it either.

8 hours ago, Lori D. said:

In addition to Cover Story, Beyond the Book Report, and Winning With Writing all mentioned above, you might look at Jump In -- it covers most of your desired writing assignments:

expository writing:
- biography
- book report
- book response
- newspaper article
- a "how to" (process essay)
- compare and contrast

persuasive writing:
- cause and effect

descriptive writing:
- short description

narrative writing:
- short narrative

creative writing:
- poetry writing

I'm loving jump-in with my 7th garder too.

I think doing some Bravewriter projects would be a good break too, although might not have the structure you want.

• Like 1

So, I really like the looks of Jump In!  It seems broken down into “doable” chunks. It’s affordable too!  I spent some time looking into Bravewriter, and although it does look lovely, I don’t think it’s quite what we need. 

I bought Jump In! On Amazon. It will be here Tuesday. Thank you all for your suggestions!

22 minutes ago, Bay Lake Mom said:

So, I really like the looks of Jump In!  It seems broken down into “doable” chunks. It’s affordable too!  I spent some time looking into Bravewriter, and although it does look lovely, I don’t think it’s quite what we need. 

I bought Jump In! On Amazon. It will be here Tuesday. Thank you all for your suggestions!

Hope it works great for you! 🙂

• Like 1