Menu

Fully accredited distance learning for a 7th grader

Hello! We have a 12 year old and need good secular fully accredited middle school that is done half online and half through books. Also, we need to sign the child up for it now, because we are moving back to U. S., and fall semester has already started, so we need one of those that let us start at any time... We love classical curriculum, but without the religion... Can someone please recommend a school like that? 

Thank you very much!

• Like 1

Do you need or do you want a fully accredited program?  Most 7th graders do not need an accredited program (most high schoolers don't either.)  I suspect that virtual public schools have to accept students yr round for situations like moving into the state, so Connections Academy (not classical) should be an option.

• Like 3

Are you homeschooling now? If so, what are you currently using? If not and you're going to be new to homeschooling, the first step is to understand your home state's laws. Every state has their own laws that need to be followed. (None require accreditation.)

Since you don't need an accredited program, your list of options is much larger than Connections Academy. You can also use multiple providers and not just one. For example, you could look into Derek Owens for just math.

Not homeschooling. Child was in school in Europe. I homeschooled her when she was little, in Florida, and now coming back. I would like a full, half online/half books program and I thought diploma at the end of each grade is necessary for further education. Didn’t really want to teach her myself and create curriculums and daily plans on my own, but have her inrolled in a full program, than just work with her, help her..... I am looking at FL Virtual school and K12... I could go with FLV Flex, but than we don’t get a diploma, unless I write one for her myself, I guess. And you are saying that a diploma for a finished 7th grade isn’t necessary, as I understand. That does make it easier... 

There are no diplomas for finishing each grade level in the USA. There are  Transcripts of grades. You can more or less do what you want in Middle School.  However, beginning in 9th grade (High School) EVERYTHING counts and you need to get it right. I assume you are moving to FL and would not be interested in TTUISD (now called TTU K12) which is Distance Learning (Asymmetrical).  Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Anja🌺 said:

Not homeschooling. Child was in school in Europe. I homeschooled her when she was little, in Florida, and now coming back. I would like a full, half online/half books program and I thought diploma at the end of each grade is necessary for further education. Didn’t really want to teach her myself and create curriculums and daily plans on my own, but have her inrolled in a full program, than just work with her, help her..... I am looking at FL Virtual school and K12... I could go with FLV Flex, but than we don’t get a diploma, unless I write one for her myself, I guess. And you are saying that a diploma for a finished 7th grade isn’t necessary, as I understand. That does make it easier... 

You don't need a diploma for every grade. A diploma is issued at the end of 12th grade when graduating from high school. Prior to that, students need a transcript of courses taken each yr.

If a student is going to homeschool through 12th grade, parents, depending on the state, can issue the diploma themselves and generate their students' transcripts. I have graduated 5 students from our homeschool, our 6th is a 12th grader, and all have received a diploma printed off our home computer. I create their transcript. They have not taken accredited classes. They have been accepted to universities without any problems.

Where things get muddy is for students who want to attend high school midstream. It is much easier to start in 9th grade than in 10th bc public schools may not give credit for courses not completed in a traditional brick and mortar setting. (They may not even accep accredited online courses.)

• Like 2

FLVS (Florida Virtual School) uses connections Academy, so a program through them would be very accepted by FL public schools, and there would be the option of doing FLVS as a charter student once you are in FL. 

• Like 1