Menu

Amazon Free Shipping on tiny order = KUDOS

Lanny

I was going to post this, before reading Quills thread about her sad experience and I wrote the Amazon phone number down, in case this goes awry...   This is apparently the first thing that will be delivered to DD at her Dorm at UNC.

She is going to take a Swimming course for P.E. and she has Myopia. She found some Swimming Googles with corrective lenses on Amazon that have many excellent reviews, that were $16.99 and Free Shipping, if one has $25 or more in qualifying items.  I needed $8.01 or more in qualifying items.  A few days ago, she got her new Lenovo Laptop from UNC, so I thought a Laptop Cooling Pad would get me over the $25 minimum purchase to qualify for free shipping and be good for her to have.  I found one with many good reviews for $8.99 and qualified for Free Shipping.

Although in previous years, we have purchased many things from Amazon USA, I hadn't purchased anything from them in a long time. There were offers of 30 days of Free Prime, etc., but I stuck with the Free Shipping. The ETA was 22 August to 27 August..  The order was placed on Saturday, 17 August, in the late morning E.D.T.  Before I turned the Laptop off yesterday, in the early evening, I checked for email. Probably about 7 P.M., E.D.T.  There was an email from Amazon that they'd shipped the 2 items in a package from Florida and that the ETA is tomorrow, Monday, the 19th of August. Both items were sold by 3rd party Sellers but were "FBA"

If they actually deliver that package to her Dorm tomorrow, that IMO is very impressive service. Fingers crossed...

OT: I will suggest to her that she contact the bank and change her account address from Colombia to NC and then she can apply for a PayPal account and pay on eBay and other places with PayPal.

4 minutes ago, Caroline said:

I think there is some sort of discounted prime for college students. Your daughter might want to look into that. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201895520  -- free six month trial

some features - https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Student/b?node=668781011

at least one of my sons did it, as he wasn't using my prime account

• Like 1

Before I started shipping a lot of items to a college dorm, I'd run a few cheap things first. One of our state colleges has a problem with the mail actually making it to the student. The only way one mom friend was able to get anything to her child was to send certified mail - and I'm sure that was a pain for the child's end too. We haven't had a problem at the college our oldest goes to, and I hope no one else does either. 

• Like 1

This summer I discovered that Amazon would not deliver to DD’s dorm. Fed Ex and UPS would, but USPS wouldn’t, and I guess Amazon uses enough different shippers to not guarantee it. Full time students got mail on campus, but if you were ordering fairly bulky stuff for a dorm, hauling it back to the dorm could get old fast. 

• Like 1

My dc received Amazon items delivered by the postal service at the dorm, but Amazon items delivered by UPS went to a central location on campus.  All items started the shipping process with UPS, but final delivery varied.  Usually, the lighter weight items were delivered via postal service.

• Like 1

my girls mail was only at a central location.  dorms didn't actually have mailboxes.   I could still send stuff that wouldn't ship to PO boxes, because technically - it wasn't a PO box.  I never had any issues of them receiving their items (but it's a smaller school.)

Thank you for the information that there may be issues delivering things to university dorms!    I will try to find the UNC Housing Page for deliveries and read it.

The small package from Amazon that I ordered Saturday morning is in the USPS in Chapel Hill and scheduled for delivery before 8 P.M. today (Monday) so this is the first delivery and should prove interesting.

I am still amazed that I resisted all of  Amazons "upsell" attempts for faster shipping and if all goes well, it will be delivered in 2 days.   🙂

Thanks again for the heads up about packages arriving.  I went to the UNC Housing Page about Mail and Packages arriving.  Correct that I had them shipped to her dorm address, but Packages will go to the Package Center that serves her dorm, on campus, and she will pick them up there.  They will send email to her when packages are available for pickup.    Sounds simple and easier than going to the post office or somewhere to pickup packages. 

• Like 1

USPS Tracking says the package was delivered to the Mail Room at 341 P.M., E.D.T.  🙂

Wow...  I resisted all of the Amazon attempts to get me to upgrade the Shipping and it arrived in 2 days. 🙂

This is the first package to be delivered there for DD. From the Housing web page about Mail and Packages, Mail seems to be delivered to a box in the Dorm, but Packages go to one of 3 Mail Rooms on campus. If all goes well, in a day or 2, DD will get an email from them telling her that she can pickup that package.

• Like 1

Lol, I hear people around where I live complain constantly about how "slow" shipping is and they would rather have the instant gratification of buying something in the store even if it isn't exactly what they wanted to buy.

When you've lived overseas for any amount of time, wanted something you simply cannot buy in the country you are in and 2 - 3 weeks minimum is your new normal for shipping times, 1 - 3 days for shipping seems like such a small price to pay for getting the exact item you want, lol. I remember coming back from overseas and just being amazed at how quick things are shipped "nowadays" and that was in 2007!

When we order from Amazon in the morning, if it ships from the DFW warehouse, it typically arrives the next afternoon. Any other Amazon warehouse and it take 2 - 4 days tops. We've had a few problems here and there but Amazon has always righted it in the end for us. We have been happy Prime members for close to 10 years now. I do have to say though that Prime Day was a bit disappointing this year which was just as well for us since unexpected expenses left us with no wiggle room for impulse purchases on Prime Day. I can also remember ordering books from Amazon when it was just a weirdly named online bookstore lol.

There are lots of ways to get a discounted rate for Prime. Just google "Amazon Prime discount rate".

• Like 2