Menu

Oldest DS moves out Th

Momto6inIN

And I am having all kinds of emotions. On the one hand it's so exciting to watch him start off on this great adventure that is the next phase of his life. He's ready, he really is. This is the right decision and he's mature enough that he's been able to work and save and afford it himself. He's going to be living with some guys from church and they are solid upstanding young men. We have a great relationship that I cherish. I'm not worried about him figuring out grown up life at all, and it's so gratifying as a parent to see what a capable man he's become. I'm so so proud of him!

But ...

He's also my baby boy. And his baby sister is only 4 months old and she'll never remember living with him and this one short summer is all I'll ever have of all 6 of them under my roof and under my wings at one time. And 19 years just isn't long enough 😢😢😢

That's all. It just sucks.

• Like 8
  • Sad 8

11 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Hugs!!  It does suck.  We sort of went through that a couple of times.  I think they should all just stay home.  In my mom heart, anyway.

I know, right? In my head I'm glad he's growing up and I would never want him to be 40 years old and still living with his mommy. But my heart is like, "oh, it wouldn't be *that* bad ..." 

• Like 2

Eldest heads 12+ hours to college in two days and I know in my heart she won't ever be back for long. She's too annoying like me to not get on my nerves sometimes, but she has great taste in music, we've shared so many experiences, we get each other's jokes, she helps me remember people's names, and she's fun to be around a lot of the time. 

I'm so stinking proud of her and so glad she's able to soar onto this new adventure. But I'll miss her.

• Like 4

hugs.  

they can still have a good relationship.  my grandmother was one of ten girls - the youngest was born a week before the first grandchild.  both girls - both had the same name.  (they lived in different states and the only communication was by post.)

my two oldest were out of the house before dudeling was born.  he still has a relationship with them.  (more so with my dd who lives here than the one who lives in another state.)

even if he lived at home now - family activities with older teen/ya kids are different than activities with toddlers/preschoolers.  while we didn't do movies very often - i'd have to find a babysitter for him while we and the "adult/big kids" went to one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gardenmom5 said:

hugs.  

they can still have a good relationship.  my grandmother was one of ten girls - the youngest was born a week before the first grandchild.  both girls - both had the same name.  (they lived in different states and the only communication was by post.)

my two oldest were out of the house before dudeling was born.  he still has a relationship with them.  (more so with my dd who lives here than the one who lives in another state.)

even if he lived at home now - family activities with older teen/ya kids are different than activities with toddlers/preschoolers.  while we didn't do movies very often - i'd have to find a babysitter for him while we and the "adult/big kids" went to one.

Thank you, that helps me feel better! I really hope they have a good relationship someday.

• Like 1

hugs

I get the range of emotions - I now have 4 that have left home. 

My oldest had to leave home at 17 to go to university 400 km away. the next 2 left home at 18 because they were sent to remote areas for their work. DD left home at 18 for university 400 km away.

I never had all 7 living here at the same time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Momto6inIN said:

And I am having all kinds of emotions. On the one hand it's so exciting to watch him start off on this great adventure that is the next phase of his life. He's ready, he really is. This is the right decision and he's mature enough that he's been able to work and save and afford it himself. He's going to be living with some guys from church and they are solid upstanding young men. We have a great relationship that I cherish. I'm not worried about him figuring out grown up life at all, and it's so gratifying as a parent to see what a capable man he's become. I'm so so proud of him!

But ...

He's also my baby boy. And his baby sister is only 4 months old and she'll never remember living with him and this one short summer is all I'll ever have of all 6 of them under my roof and under my wings at one time. And 19 years just isn't long enough 😢😢😢

That's all. It just sucks.

The oldest moving out while the youngest is a baby was the same dynamic we had. My oldest moved out for college when my youngest was 2 months old. For us that was 7 years ago. For me it was hard being postpartum and knowing it would never be the same as when I had 5 growing up together. 

They have a great relationship now but it’s more aunt niece than sisters. The oldest lives 2 1/2 hours away. My 2 oldest (25 and 23) just took my youngest to Disney for her 7th birthday. They video chat and play video games together online when they can. 

It’s ok to be sad and mourn. Give yourself time and grace. 

• Like 2

Thanks every body! After I put the baby to sleep last night we ended up having a really good talk and so I was able to say All.The.Things. You know, all the stuff I don't want to say in front of his roommates but that really needs to be said when one chapter ends and another begins. I'm so glad we had that chance! It's really helped.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, hshibley said:

They have a great relationship now but it’s more aunt niece than sisters. The oldest lives 2 1/2 hours away. My 2 oldest (25 and 23) just took my youngest to Disney for her 7th birthday. They video chat and play video games together online when they can. 

This makes me happy to think about!