Menu

Math again.... R&S or MEP

lulalu

I have had the hardest time picking what math to stick with. 

I need some hand holding. 

For K we used Miquon orange book and MEP reception. It was perfect. Ds loves miquon. 

For 1st we used Singapore and Miquon. Not bad, but I don't want to continue with Singapore. I need more guidance day to day. Miquon has gotten harder as the concepts have gotten harder. 

So I am still searching for a plan for 2nd. I have all the Miquon books and we are working slowly through them. 

R&S I love the looks of the TM. The TM looks perfect! I like how simple it looks. 

MEP I like how it is free. And the depth. But it looks very teacher intense, and the tm needs a lot of tweaks. 

Help! Ds loves math, gets stuff easily, but needs repetition. He would do math all day if I let him. 

Have you tried Saxon? My only caution with R&S is that since it is mastery based, it may not follow a regular sequence than most of math books.  It'll get you to high school math but at a different pace and it does not include new concepts like technology, etc.  We tried it one year and my kids tested behind in the IOWA tests, so I changed them to Saxon (it put us back on track).  I'd say it'll all depend on your long term goals.  I still think R&S is a good curriculum, it was just not what we were looking for an advanced math track.

• Like 1

We liked MEP quite a bit.  It didn't require a lot of changing in the teacher's manuals.

However, I might be inclined to do a mix of Miquon & Gattegno in your case.  The print books are only about $9 each (there's free ebooks for them on issuu) and the material would go well with Miquon.  You'd be able to stay with the same set of books and blocks that you've been doing.  Most of the lessons are oral with optional writing, so you wouldn't have to double up there if you didn't want.

• Like 1

What I have done for two of mine in second grade-- used the R&S 2 TM's orally, writing some of the problems on a whiteboard or another sheet of paper.  Doing all those R&S 2 math workbooks would have been torture for them.  They got math concepts easily, and didn't need all that repetition. I also used C-rods to illustrate many of the concepts laid out in the R&S TM's.  This took about 10-15 min. daily.  R&S was my review and drill part of math. 

We also did a sheet of MEP daily (mostly) -- somewhere in the last part of Year 1 and on into Year 2.  A math lover will go further into Year 2.  Especially in Year 2, there are extra problems in the Teacher's Notes that help make sense of the worksheets. 

And, we would pull out Miquon occasionally.  Just for fun.  The discovery aspect of Miquon is energizing for some thinkers, and frustrating for others. 

I did NOT try to coordinate any of this topically (R&S, MEP, and Miquon all teaching the same topic at the same time)-- it does not work and you will go bonkers. 

• Like 1

I mean, I'd do MEP over R&S any day. But I'm also coming at it from a secular perspective.

I did not find MEP that teacher intensive. Certainly not more than Miquon. Like, if you can wrap your head around Miquon and make that work, you'll be fine with MEP. But I can also understand wanting something all laid out. I would say... MEP is free. Why not start with MEP, give it a fair try for at least a month or two, and then make the call? You really don't have anything to lose. Even if it's not a great fit, they'll have learned something, you'll have learned something, you'll still be doing the Miquon. Really, it'll be fine.

But, if you want straightforward and traditional, I would do Saxon or CLE over R&S. I think doing something more traditional balanced with the depth of Miquon is probably a decent combo no matter what you choose. So even if R&S appeals, then it's all good.

• Like 1

When you say you need more guidance day to day with singapore, do you mean a schedule with a stop and start, a script, alternative ways of presenting a problem?  I'm wondering if dimensions math might work for you.  Or maybe you just need to find a schedule for singapore, which can be found at various blogs for free.

37 minutes ago, Syllieann said:

When you say you need more guidance day to day with singapore, do you mean a schedule with a stop and start, a script, alternative ways of presenting a problem?  I'm wondering if dimensions math might work for you.  Or maybe you just need to find a schedule for singapore, which can be found at various blogs for free.

I need something that says do this much on this day. And do this together before giving the worksheet kind of thing. Singapore has too many books and parts for me to plan a day out too. 

I don't need a script although I can use one. 

On 8/13/2019 at 12:32 AM, HomeAgain said:

We liked MEP quite a bit.  It didn't require a lot of changing in the teacher's manuals.

However, I might be inclined to do a mix of Miquon & Gattegno in your case.  The print books are only about $9 each (there's free ebooks for them on issuu) and the material would go well with Miquon.  You'd be able to stay with the same set of books and blocks that you've been doing.  Most of the lessons are oral with optional writing, so you wouldn't have to double up there if you didn't want.

I have looked at and done some on Gattegno book 1. Is there a guide for about what grade each book covers? 

How much do you cover in a day? Just do one exersice a day? 

2 hours ago, lulalu said:

I have looked at and done some on Gattegno book 1. Is there a guide for about what grade each book covers? 

How much do you cover in a day? Just do one exersice a day? 

No, there isn't, because it presents things in a different order than traditional curriculum.  Multiplication of fractions is included in book 1, but days of the week/telling time isn't until book 2: operations with numbers to 1000.  There is no book 3 available because it was very outdated, but book 4 begins steady work with fractions and decimals.  http://www.educationalsolutions.com/math-sets/gattegno-math-book-set So I'd call book 1 & 2 material for K-3rd or 4th, and then about a book a year after that.
We cover about 1 exercise a day with practice or unfamiliar material.  One book will last just about a year doing 1 a day and they're good 5-10 minute warm ups that can stretch out to an entire math lesson if you want.  Because they're non-consumable we've revisited activities that were fun.  I made a poster & set of cards for multiplication, but there is a company in England that sells those and workbooks for each level.  I just figured it wasn't worth paying for something that we did end up using rarely.

• Like 1

I love Rod and Staff.  Level 4 has instructions written to the children.  I do not make my children to every problem.  I glance the teachers manual to see if there is anything I want to go over.  We are using level 3 and 4 this year and workbook grade 1 for my 6 year old; with manipulatives.  Rod and Staff gets math done and makes sure basic facts are mastered.  We don't do flashcards; the problems in the book are enough.  I have also tried Right Start and Singapore.  I kept coming back to Rod and Staff and have decided to stick with it.  I actually ordered and resold right start twice because everyone said how great it was; but we never did the math games and my kids were not mastering facts and the manipulatives were too much for me.

• Like 1

If you need "do this much on this day" then MEP definitely will do that for you. One page = one day. And even for my slow kids, we found that mostly doable. Remember that you can skip or do the other activities really quickly. In fact, if you're doing Miquon, I'd say you can just skip a lot of that stuff. Lots of people do in the earlier grades.

• Like 2