Menu

If you go to the gym and/or exercise regularly...

Loowit

what things do you take a day off for?  I woke up with a headache this morning and am debating whether I should stay home or not.  Part of me thinks I skipped all weekend because I had stuff going on with family, but I just don't feel like going.  It isn't too bad at the moment just a nagging ache, but I think it might get worse if I start working out.  Typically I only skip for contagious illness (colds and the like) or on really bad cramping days (I am not one where exercise helps).

I am just curious what other peoples lines are while I sit here debating whether to go or not.

10 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

If I’m just feeling slightly under the weather, I’ll take a brisk walk outdoors and do some gentle stretching instead of a sweaty pulse pounding workout. 

At almost 40, I am so much more prevalent kind to my body. 

This. I change my plans to something gentle, like stretch or restorative yoga. And it doesn't take much to make me change -- a headache? Sure, switch.  As long as I'm doing something, most days, I feel like I'm on the right track. 

• Like 2

I hit the gym every week 2-3 times. This year I've only missed twice to illness. I skipped the day after I was diagnosed with strep and 1 other time when I just couldn't even muster the energy to get dressed, if I can get dressed I go. Now, I've had several days I've not felt like going but my bargain with myself is to just show up and try, usually I end up feeling better than I thought but if I don't I will cut back on what I do. Once or twice this year I got there tried the workout, felt too hard, cut it back again and again and then realized I just wasn't up to it so I went ahead and went home. A headache or cramps I still go, unless I got migraines or something, which I don't. I don't like working out during heavy flow but find I usually end up feeling better. I just take some ibuprofen and get to it. There are plenty of days I don't really feel like going but it is very rare that I'm sorry I went.

• Like 1

Off for headache?? No, going will probably improve your headache. Our Y has a steam room, so that usually helps get rid of what remains after the workout.

If you're tired or it's the weather (barometric pressure, whatever), go in but do something lighter. That way you keep the routine/habit.

• Like 1

Oh, I’ll skip over any decent excuse - had a bad night of insomnia, gotta be out of the house early and don’t want to cram it in, convince myself that tommorow will be the better choice...😄

In reality though, I often choose a different workout if I can’t get myself in gear. I’ll take a long walk or do longer yoga or weed in the garden for two hours and call it good. 

• Like 2

I decided to skip the gym, but took a walk with puppy and DS.  I feel better that I did stuff, but my headache is still there.  I think it is a combination of air pressure changes and dehydration.  I am going take a nice long shower to steam myself, and then make DH go to the gym this evening when he gets home from work.

• Like 4