Menu

How to help my neighbors with their cats

Kanin

My neighbors have 3 cats. They are well taken care of (switched to grain free food, have heated beds, toys, etc), and my neighbors love them more than anything. The neighbors watch my cat when I go out of town, and I watch theirs when they're away. It's really convenient for all of us.

Anyway, this time, I noticed that the litter boxes were more full / un-scooped than usual. The boxes are usually kind of a mess, but this time it was really bad. Both neighbors are somewhat disabled, and to make things worse, were recently in a car accident. I think this is likely contributing to the litter box situation.

My neighbors are really wonderful people. I don't want to hurt their feelings or embarrass them, but I'm concerned about the cats, and also about my neighbors hurting themselves by scooping the cat litter, taking heavy bags to the trash, etc.  How can I help them? As much as I don't enjoy scooping litter, I would volunteer to do it a couple times a week, and to take the bags on my usual trash run. 

As a second question, should I buy new litter and clean the boxes (which will be a huge task... but I'm not sure my neighbors are up to it right now) while they're away? I'm just watching them for one night and one day, so they didn't even ask me to scoop the litter, just to feed the cats - I just happened to notice the state of the litter boxes.

Is there a tactful way to bring this up?

You are so awesome. ❤️

Yes, I would definitely take care of the litter boxes while they are gone. That would not be too out-of-the-ordinary for someone watching someone else's cats, even if they didn't specifically ask you to do it. I think it's the kindest thing to do for the cats and for your neighbors. 

As far as ongoing cleaning goes: You might say something like, "I was wondering if you needed help with anything--I know it's been harder for you to get around (or I know things have been more difficult) since your car accident. Maybe I could stop by and help with the kitties a few times a week--maybe scoop the litter boxes and carry out the litter? I know it can be heavy."

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 11

Would they be willing to pay one of your kids to do the regular maintenance of the litter boxes? That way they don't feel like they are being an inconvenience to you and your child earns extra money?

My very first job was taking the newspaper from the middle of the driveway where it got tossed and setting it by the door of our elderly neighbors. 😄

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mainer said:

Thanks guys. No kids in my house, so I'll be the volunteer. I guess I better go "suit up" for some serious battle! Hopefully they're not too miffed that I took over.

I can’t imagine anyone feeling anything other than gratefulness.

It's very kind of you. :)

8 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

What about buying them an automatic litter box?  That way, the litter is scooped automatically every day, all they have to do is take the scooper contents to the trash.  I admit I haven't ever used one of those, so maybe that would be more trouble than it's worth, but if you check out some of those options, you might find something that works.  If you think they would be weird about something like that, maybe suggest that it was gifted to you but you can't really use it for whatever reason.

They're expensive and you're supposed to have one litter box for every cat plus an extra. You can get by with less than the ideal, but not 1 box for 3 cats.