Menu

New to classical education model....Classical conversations vs Claritas at home Cycle 1

lindsay1126

Hello,

So I am not new to homeschooling, but am new to the classical method.  I have an upcoming 4th grader, 2nd grader, 4 year old disabled and highly delayed son, and a 2 month old.    I have been mainly CM/eclectic .  Not sure why I have been so intimidated by classical, but I am ready this year.  With that said, I feel I need guidance through the memory work, for at least this year.  I  (of course) had heard of CC, but I have never been a co op person.  We have our home school group for meetups and field trips, but not weekly co op stuff.  I was looking at doing it at home, when I came across Claritas.  

I have searched the forum, and read all the posted about Claritas, but there is not many.  I wanted to know if there was any new thoughts on the 2 programs.  How do they compare?  If you did both, which would you prefer for home?  If you only did one what was your thoughts?

I like that CC has a cute timeline song. I played it for my girls and they LOVED it.  I don't care for their 3 cycle setup as, I would like to follow 4. 

I like that Claritas has the seven cross videos, to make it easier for morning memory.  Our family only uses KJV so their scripture would be wasted on us, as I plan to use Bible quest so I can use KJV for Bible memory.  I love that they match up with SOTW, as that is what we will be using as a history spine next year.  I wish they had a cute timeline song, like CC.  My girls love anything put to music, and I just don't know if they will take to the chanting the same way. 

Here is our picks for the meat of curriculum this year

LA, spelling and Reading: CLE (2 & 4)  I will be letting my oldest be reading quite a few children version classics this year.

Math: TT (5 & 3)

History: SOTW vol 1  and lots of family read alouds, and at level readers

Science: either Science Shepherd or Gods design for life (leaning towards SS, since it will be one less for me to teach.

Handwriting: Pentime (2 & 4)

Writing: WWE (1 & 3) My oldest is struggling with writing. She fights me to write a few sentences, so I am hoping this helps.  

Latin ( Prima Latina for both)

Keyboarding: Typing.com

Kids choice elective: Coda kids, Learning coding with minecraft

Art: Art cards from MP

Music: haven't decided

Any tips, recommendations and always curriculum choices will be much appreciated.  Thank you!

If I was doing either of them, I'd do Claritas.  They're not mired in shady dealings and bogged down by a lack of adherence to law.  I don't support companies that I find immoral.

You will find that not many of us put such a heavy emphasis on memory work with bites like that.  Our memory work is directly integrated into our studies: science definitions, Latin chants, poetry.  It is enough for us to use first cycle as exposure to history, the second cycle to dive deeper into history, and the third cycle to research history.  In our house, I want my kids to have an accurate picture in their heads of a weaving timeline but not necessarily focus so hard on memorizing dates.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

They're not mired in shady dealings and bogged down by a lack of adherence to law.  I don't support companies that I find immoral.

Do you mind telling me what you mean?  I am really new to this, and really no nothing about the country.  I wouldn't want to support a company like that either.  

I had planned to align their science with what was being taught in the memory work so that it would coincide.  I guess I was just thinking having it set to music would help my kids ease into the memory work. I had planned to do more normal memory work next year.  Thanks for you suggestions. 

Welcome to the Well-Trained Mind community and the forums!

Many people use a blend of Charlotte Mason and classical methods and materials, so you may find it is not too hard to move into a more classical direction this year.

The only things I see not listed, and you may have just forgotten to include them, are Grammar and Geography. But many families wait to start Grammar until 4th or 5th grade, so that's fine, too. And Geography can be folded in with a simple workbook at this age, if just wanting to make sure you touch on that topic from time to time. For Music possibly music lessons with an instrument of high interest to the student, like piano or violin? Or join a kids community choir? Or solo-learn to play the recorder with Nine-Note Recorder Method (by Penny Gardener)? Or if wanting music appreciation, you might enjoy working your way through the Classics For Kids website, or the Meet the Great Composers book 1 and 2.

It looks like you have a great line-up to me! You are covering most everything needed -- and more, with some fun electives.

LA
   Reading: CLE (2 & 4) --  oldest be reading quite a few children version classics this year.
   Spelling: CLE (2 & 4)  I will be letting my
   Handwriting: Pentime (2 & 4)
   Writing: WWE (1 & 3)
   Grammar -- ??
Math: TT (5 & 3)
Science: either Science Shepherd or Gods design for life
Social Studies:
   History: SOTW vol 1 and family read alouds
   Geography -- ?? (I'm guessing the map work that is in the SOTW activity guide?)
Foreign Language: Latin ( Prima Latina for both)
Fine Arts:
   Art cards from MP
   Music: haven't decided
Electives:
   Keyboarding: Typing.com
   Coda kids, Learning coding with minecraft

As far as memorization -- lots of options for memorization songs for things like Geography, Science, and Math Facts, etc.

As far as Home Again's comment re: "shady dealings, shady dealings and bogged down by a lack of adherence to law.  I don't support companies that I find immoral," -- I believe she is referring to some legal and tax issues that have come up in the past few years with Class. Conver. 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Thank you for all the help. I will check out the music tips.  I had looked into the song fact cds, but was hoping for something that went along with what we were studying. Thats why I was leaning to Claritas, bc they are supposed to line up with SOTW for history points better the CC, but I prefer CCs timeline song (I know that sounds stupid, but my girls just loved it)  I am just so new to this, I am just trying to understand things better.  

I do CLE for LA (which covers both grammar and spelling) and reading. Yes, we have done some basic geography in the past, but was planning on utilizing either Claritas or CC and SOTW for mapping.  I had also looked into map trek, but wasn't sure if it would line up with SOTW.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lori D. said:

As far as Home Again's comment re: "shady dealings, shady dealings and bogged down by a lack of adherence to law.  I don't support companies that I find immoral," -- I believe she is referring to some legal and tax issues that have come up in the past few years with Class. Conver. 

This, along with PERPL.
CC uses non-profit churches to host their for-profit company.
They knowingly misclassify their employees as "independent contractors" while micromanaging them.  This is why payment went up in CA (because the penalty is stiffer there) and they dance around it in other states.
Their director contracts extend CC's authority in a Buzz Lightyear fashion, covering the universe.
They use teen "volunteers" to work for their for-profit company, doing more hours per day than child labor laws allow, and volunteers aren't allowed to work for for-profit companies anyway.
They have a PERPL policy, where if anything is Personal, Explosive, Religious, Performance related or Legal, they are not to write it down.  Sorry, but all legal should have a paper trail and they willingly have a policy to delete any email covering it.
They have harassed non-members/former members who have brought up the tax information to churches, going so far as to ban one from a homeschool convention (that they weren't running) and sending threatening letters to others.
They straight up mislead people in order to make themselves sound better.  Their brag from 2018 (or 2017?) had stats that their Challenge students did better on the SAT than the national average.  In extremely small print on the bottom of the page it had the more accurate note that they had about 18 students nationwide who sent in their scores for the stat page.

The list continues, but it comes down to a for-profit company trying to pass itself off as a ministry, taking advantage of churches and quite literally being the moneylenders doing business in the temple while doing their best to evade tax laws and refusing to protect their people.  Jesus should come and flip their tables.  They don't get my money because I don't pay for people to abuse others spiritually like that.

Edited by HomeAgain
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, parent said:

Hmm, I didn't like the CC timeline song at all, not my music style.  Also just didn't like the cult-ish and exclusive feeling of CC, and I thought it was extremely overpriced.  It was something like $600 for the year and seemed like it was predominantly a memory program (28 weeks, I think?)

I would never pay to use their co op, I was just going to buy the memory work part, to help.  Not after reading the other post.

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

This, along with PERPL.
CC uses non-profit churches to host their for-profit company.
They knowingly misclassify their employees as "independent contractors" while micromanaging them.  This is why payment went up in CA (because the penalty is stiffer there) and they dance around it in other states.
Their director contracts extend CC's authority in a Buzz Lightyear fashion, covering the universe.
They use teen "volunteers" to work for their for-profit company, doing more hours per day than child labor laws allow, and volunteers aren't allowed to work for for-profit companies anyway.
They have a PERPL policy, where if anything is Personal, Explosive, Religious, Performance related or Legal, they are not to write it down.  Sorry, but all legal should have a paper trail and they willingly have a policy to delete any email covering it.
They have harassed non-members/former members who have brought up the tax information to churches, going so far as to ban one from a homeschool convention (that they weren't running) and sending threatening letters to others.
They straight up mislead people in order to make themselves sound better.  Their brag from 2018 (or 2017?) had stats that their Challenge students did better on the SAT than the national average.  In extremely small print on the bottom of the page it had the more accurate note that they had about 18 students nationwide who sent in their scores for the stat page.

The list continues, but it comes down to a for-profit company trying to pass itself off as a ministry, taking advantage of churches and quite literally being the moneylenders doing business in the temple while doing their best to evade tax laws and refusing to protect their people.  Jesus should come and flip their tables.  They don't get my money because I don't pay for people to abuse others spiritually like that.

Oh my, that is HORRIBLE. I had know idea.  I will defiantly not be supporting a company like that.  I had no idea.  So timeline or no, that will NOT be an option in our home.   Thank you for letting me know.  😡😤

So, I have been praying about it, and feel that I may try to build my own memory work  and find .  Could anyone give me links to where I should begin. I would love to have songs go along with them.  We have always used CM Scripture memory box, so I know how to do that.  It just intimidates me to introduce more than one scripture at a time.  Do you all just drill them unitl they know them?  I wish there was a timeline song and cards to line up with SOTW.  That would be perfect for us.   

Lastly, do you have any recommendations on a KJV scripture copy work book? I can find the

, I was just wondering if anyone had one they really liked.  I like pentime well enough, but for my oldest it is covering state information for their copy work. I would rather it be either scripture, or something we are learning about. Should  I let her pick our scripture that interest her to copy and also to be learning on her own?  How much do expect them to know every month?  Our church will start its youth program in September, and they will be asked to learn very lengthy Bible verses monthly for that as well.  

Any tips, links, recommendations or advise would be much appreciated!  I feel like a first time HS mom all over again.😉

7 hours ago, parent said:

I liked the idea of a timeline song, and found this one that you use to 10 little Indians tune.  https://religiousaffections.org/articles/articles-on-children-and-family/the-much-requested-timeline-song/  

I will check that out. Thanks. 

Don't get caught up into believing that classical education is a prescription of checking off a to-do list. Most descriptions of classical curriculum market a formula vs an educational philosophy.  There is nothing "classical" about just incorporating memory work. I would recommend doing memory work that is meaningful. Recite poetry, listen to speeches and memorize sections, memorize scripture, etc.

FWIW, I wouldn't move away from your CM roots. Incorporating CM and classical philosophies can result in a solid pedagogy.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

Don't get caught up into believing that classical education is a prescription of checking off a to-do list. Most descriptions of classical curriculum market a formula vs an educational philosophy.  There is nothing "classical" about just incorporating memory work. I would recommend doing memory work that is meaningful. Recite poetry, listen to speeches and memorize sections, memorize scripture, etc.

FWIW, I wouldn't move away from your CM roots. Incorporating CM and classical philosophies can result in a solid pedagogy.

Thank you!  I know I always over stress my self out.  The only aspect of CM, I really believed in was living books.  I love to read, so I wanted to read a ton of real books vs boring text books.  Which I now realize can still be done with classical along with the more rigorous work I felt a child needed.  Like I said, not sure why I hadn't looked into classical earlier, and REALLY understood the methodology, bc it fits me much better than CM. 

BTW, I love the idea of memorizing real things.  I have always appreciated a person who could recall a poem or part of a speech to use as a point in discussion, I am excited to be doing this along with them.  

FWIW, I still used bits and pieces from the CC CDs after our first year in CC (we dropped it after that because we didn't like it).  I don't mind the timeline song, and we did use it. We also used the Latin memory songs and the skip counting songs. You can do this without being part of CC--most of the time it was "car school" for us.

The memory work out of context was not very  helpful for us, and I hated jumping around in science. 

You can always grab a copy of The Well Trained Mind to get an idea of what Susan Wise Bauer thinks a classical ed could look like. It's very helpful in providing a framework of what to study and how.  That said, don't give up things that are working for you and you love.  

9 minutes ago, cintinative said:

You can always grab a copy of The Well Trained Mind to get an idea of what Susan Wise Bauer thinks a classical ed could look like. It's very helpful in providing a framework of what to study and how.  That said, don't give up things that are working for you and you love.  

I am reading through the copy the library had, but think I will be ordering her new edition, so I can have updated resources. I used her framework to add the subjects she listed, as well as using SOTW and the 4yr cycle.  Really its how to add memory that is throwing me off, and I am not sure why.   How many times a day, do you expect your kids to read their memory work a day?  How long should it take them to memorize things?  How much a year should I be striving for as a beginner?

If you really want memory cards, Olive Grove makes beautiful ones that coordinate with SOTW.

If you would like integrated memory work, Creek Edge Press makes Enrichment books that do not directly correlate with SOTW, but offer memorization pieces and phrases for each of the 4 years of history.  They do not have a sample of it on their site but I bought one last year to consider using and could take pictures.  It's a lot for each week but you're supposed to pick and choose based on what you're studying.  There are history sentences, poetry (and things like president lists), science definitions, Latin vocabulary/grammar, and then art projects, nature study, geography, music, and habit training.

Unfortunately there's not a lot out there for full songs like CC has besides Claritas.  It doesn't mean that's all that's out there, though. 🙂 We like HistoryTeachers on Youtube, Animaniacs (Parts Of The Brain song is on our list this year to memorize.  Last year it was Wakko's America to memorize states and capitals), and They Might Be Giants' Here Comes Science.

• Like 1

I'm not sure about the bites part but I will speak to the us (or lack of homogeneity of us) part. 

With my dd (now 20, so this was 15 years ago when the boards were totally different, multiple iterations of boards ago, haha), I was able to do memory work easily. Memory work was commonly done and discussed on the boards here, and we were all pre-CC, pre even Andrew Cambell's book on memory work, hehe. My dd had ADHD but no severe developmental or language delays. She could memorize easily and we did Scripture memory, poetry, etc. Memorizing facts didn't seem especially to fit her; we focused on narratives. 

My ds has ASD2 and significant language delays. His ability to repeat a sentence is clinically linked to his language issues. He could *script* and repeat large amounts of audiobooks, tv shows, etc. sure. But to read a verse together, understand it, and repeat, no he couldn't. He has failed at Awana and my home efforts so many times I no longer try. Well I say that. I'm going to try again this year, but I'm basically going to put the verses on cards and have us read them. God knows our efforts. If you look at the free information the SCM lady provides about her memory work system, she talks about working with her dd with (I assume ASD, some kind of delays) and that's pretty much what she did, giving up on the forced side and just literally reading them together and calling it good. 

So I think you have two issues. One is organization, and I find the free system from Simply Charlotte Mason pretty sensible. Google and you'll find it. It might suit you. Two is what is developmentally appropriate for your kids, and that's between you and them.

On the writing resistance for your oldest, no I would not anticipate WWE to be curative. It doesn't address executive function problems and is basically a large working memory drain. If the person has working memory deficits, EF deficits, language issues, physical issues that should be addressed by an OT or eye doc, anything else going on, there are going to be more compassionate interventions. Working memory can be built with games, metronome work, etc. I would NOT put a dc who is struggling in a situation where they feel uncomfortable and pair what should be the joy of writing with the displeasure of the process not going well. If it doesn't go well or feel right, pause and find out what's going on. Scribe or use tech, including dictation software. 

We have tons of conversations over on LC about adaptive technology, teaching writing with ADHD, dyslexia, and other issues, intervening for language disabilities, etc. You might find it helpful to come over. Sounds like you'd fit right in. :smile:

4 minutes ago, lindsay1126 said:

I am reading through the copy the library had, but think I will be ordering her new edition, so I can have updated resources. I used her framework to add the subjects she listed, as well as using SOTW and the 4yr cycle.  Really its how to add memory that is throwing me off, and I am not sure why.   How many times a day, do you expect your kids to read their memory work a day?  How long should it take them to memorize things?  How much a year should I be striving for as a beginner?

Honestly, these questions are going to depend.  Last year we did this:
Latin - we did response questions with First Form.  We started with doing 1-5, adding slowly as he memorized them and rotating through eventually to doing 5-10 questions a day at random.  We'll continue to review them and add a few more this year from Second Form.
Memory pieces - I pick a few that I know will integrate well into our studies or are just plain fun.  It took about two weeks for him to learn the Jabberwocky around age 6 because he got to play with a sword.  Next year I have 5 pieces total:
Gettysburg Address
If (a poem)
In Flander's Fields (as we study WWI)
Polonius' speech: "Neither A Borrower Nor A Lender Be" from Hamlet
Parts Of The Brain

And we'll review last year's pieces as well.  So 5 pieces over 30 weeks covering 3 subjects, giving us a slow pace but each are decent sized and give a lot to think about.

I'm not worried about memorization of specific acts and facts, only the ones that can be applied routinely.  We slowly work through elementary until a kid is doing a notebook record of their work, and I'd rather that, where they are interacting with the material and can reference it for years to come, than just memorizing dates or science definitions.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, lindsay1126 said:

Most people have some kind of morning meeting or recitation time. I usually kept my materials in a dishpan and we just went through them quickly, maybe 10 minutes. 

Remember, SWB herself never did EVERYTHING. She also received help from her blessed, amazing, wonderful human being mother and an involved, supportive dh. You're wise to take the *principles* of WTM that resonate with you. For me it has always been the attention to foundations and the breadth of exposure. My dd was always advanced, even by WTM and Veritas Press standards, and my ds is completely off the rails, in his own world, haha. And yet what I learned in WTM still applies with ds, that exposure is good and that foundations matter. It's how I've navigated the incongruity of his disabilities, like the ability to recite paragraphs from a book but not understand a single line when he reads it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So when doing memory, do you just work on one item at a time? Or do you work on several on different topics your covering? Do you just read through all your menory pegs in morning? Do you have them do them more than 1x a day? Can someone share their morning time routine? Do you do it again at lunch? Thanks.

• Like 1

Here, check out the video and explanations on this page. It's not the only system, but it's a way. You'll probably know what you want to do at that point. https://simplycharlottemason.com/store/scripture-memory-verse-cards/

I wasn't so sophisticated. I literally just had the dishpan and ran through them once a day. I put bookmarks in each resource I was using (poetry, prayer book, etc.). I made the poetry and scripture sometimes onto cards that I laminated, so we'd just have the card of the week. We didn't do a ton of review, just enjoying and moving forward. Nope, just once a day.

So yes, I would have something you're working on for the week (or month if it's longer). My dd could just memorize by my ds needs more help with chunks, tossing a ball while we work, etc. 

https://simplycharlottemason.com/scmforum/topic/where-to-start-with-autistic-child/  This thread is very beautiful with responses that I find calming, sensible. You have to ADAPT to make it work for your kids and it's good to realize that people are doing heavy adapting out there.

So I'll give you an example. My ds has narrative language deficits. He can listen to a Bible story till he's blue and he can't tell you what happened. He has been this way for years. So clearly, working on that foundational skill of narrative (which we are with therapy materials!!) is more important than something flashy like STEM projects or something. We do fun stuff, but we attend to foundations. That's what my WTM experience always reminds me, that we all need our foundations, that skills don't magically poof and develop.

Whatever, that's a rabbit trail, lol. I just really like Sonya S's attitude about disabilities and being calm and meeting them where they are.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, lindsay1126 said:

So when doing memory, do you just work on one item at a time? Or do you work on several on different topics your covering? Do you just read through all your menory pegs in morning? Do you have them do them more than 1x a day? Can someone share their morning time routine? Do you do it again at lunch? Thanks.

I think what a lot of us are saying is that we don't use memory pegs.  In our house, we do math, then language arts, and then we have what I call an enrichment period: current memory piece (with older ones reviewed at the end of the week), logic, myth projects...
We do Latin memorization within Latin.
We touch on previous science vocabulary through questioning during science time, focus on new definitions.  If our current memory piece is science then we may move it from the enrichment block to this time.
We go over parts of speech memorization during grammar.
We concentrate on music pieces, theory, composers, during music.
We do geography during history.

It doesn't need to be wonky and stilted.  One day vocabulary is introduced, the next day I ask for it to be read back to me, the third day I may ask for the definition.  There is absolutely no point to memorizing without context.  None.  If it's not in your normal scope, not something you want to focus on, not a good use of your time, you don't have to do it or put emphasis on it.  Multum non multa. Much, not many. A disconnect between the memory work and your actual daily studies is just going to stress you out.

• Like 1

I am a very non-schoolish homeschool teacher. We are absolutely the opposite of unschoolers, but I focus on making our learning environment organic......meaning that I try to have our subjects flow and integrate reinforcing each other rather than a list of unconnected subjects. So, my kids might be using a poem or scripture verse or a question from their catechism as copywork and handwriting practice. That same selection could be done repeatedly over several days to also become their memory work. 

You can incorporate a tea time once per week and have them recite their selections during tea.

I would like to emphasize what Peter Pan wrote 

3 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Remember, SWB herself never did EVERYTHING. She also received help from her blessed, amazing, wonderful human being mother and an involved, supportive dh. You're wise to take the *principles* of WTM that resonate with you.

You will burn yourself and your children out if you attempt to directly follow what is in the WTM. It is not meant to be a road map, but a smorgasbord to adopt what works and reject the rest.

FWIW, my kids have received a very rigorous and academic education with a mix of CM, classical, and Jesuit philosophies. But, never has the focus been on making their educations rigorous like you stated below

3 hours ago, lindsay1126 said:

Which I now realize can still be done with classical along with the more rigorous work I felt a child needed. 

For young kids, a rigorous education can be designed around topics that interest them and make them want to explore and learn more.  You said the only thing you liked about CM was the living book approach. Don't lose sight of what elementary ed should be---lighting a fire (the desire to want to learn).  Multum non multa will take kids a long way. (My kids spend about an hr per grade level on school, so 2nd is only 2 hrs of direct academic work, etc.)

• Like 3

We've used Claritas as our Memory Work "launch pad" if you will. We used cycle 2 and cycle 3 so far and I have cycle 4 coming any day now. I loved the memory work aspect but never could pick out the pegs for myself. I didn't want CC as I researched them a few years ago and it left a sour taste in my mouth. (And after reading Leah Bortin's book I just couldn't tolerate any more from that whole company.) So far, we've loved the music that goes along with the Memory Work book and it takes us about 7 minutes in the mornings to run through the songs a couple of times. The fact that it's a 4 year cycle really sold me on their product. I also LOVE the fact that I've never once received an email from them outside of my Order Confirmation emails. They have zero interest in franchising their model and it's really evidenced in that they don't try to bog down your email with countless ads for their curriculum. 

• Like 3

Other than the timeline, math facts, and Latin, we have done poetry memory work through First Language Lessons and now through Linguistic Development through Poetry Memorization and grammar memory work through FLL and Grammar for the Well Trained Mind. We played games to learn the elements as part of The Elements by Ellen J McHenry.  Honestly, that is about it. I still consider myself a Classical homeschooler.  😃

ETA: I did use catechism for copy work but didn't require memorization. Our church has a Bible memory program as well.

Edited by cintinative

18 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

FWIW, my kids have received a very rigorous and academic education with a mix of CM, classical, and Jesuit philosophies. But, never has the focus been on making their educations rigorous like you stated below

I didnt mean rigorous in that way.  My kids have a ton of time to be kids.  I just meant more tangable work.  My girls are excited about their new subjects.  I also gear many things (thus the minecraft coding class to their interest).  I plan to slow down when we get to ancient greece bc they love myths, so we can spend extra time reading some great books there too.  Thank you for all your help, every bit is much appreciated. 

I wanted to thank all you who responded, you have helped tremendously! Things make much more since to me now.  I have decided to expand on my CM memory box and make everyone their own binder and we will start with scipture (in which we are studying as a family), latin from our prima latina course, and some math facts.  Once we get comfortable I will add some poetry related to our studies.  Thank you again!

• Like 2

Just a heads up that CC does not have all their memory work set to songs.  History, Latin, math skip counting, timeline song, presidents song, states and capitals are set to music.  Geography, science, English grammar, and math formulas are not.  I believe that Claritas has everything set to music.  

I will say that the CC timeline and history songs really stuck with my kids, as did the presidents song. We used another states and capitals song.  For those things that I wanted them to memorize, using the songs was incredibly helpful and they still remember the info.  

• Like 1

• 4 years later...