Menu

Media mail ?

BakersDozen

A friend was told this when she went to the Post Office today: "The curriculum I wanted to mail (to a buyer) does not qualify for book rate. Anything that is primarily for writing in -- even crossword puzzle books, Sudoku, etc. -- is not a "book."

Has anyone else had this happen? I looked on the USPS site and while there is a clear list of what qualifies for media mail it seems that workbooks are ambiguous. I've shipped curriculum, including "write in" books, for years and never had an issue.

• Like 1

When I sent my friend workbooks, the staff did ask whether it was a set of curriculum (with the textbooks and CDs) and said I could be charged normal rates if found to not qualify for media mail. Mine was a boxed set so was quite obviously a full set of curriculum for an elementary school kid.

The ones I received via media mail were either textbook only or textbook with workbook set.

“Upon such inspection, matter not eligible for the Media Mail rate may be assessed at the proper price and sent to the recipient postage due, or the sender may be contacted for additional postage.” https://about.usps.com/notices/not121/not121_tech.htm

The post office definition is a little unclear, but I'd consider it a type of book.  I've often received and sent workbooks as media mail.  I guess I don't specifically tell the post office  "This is a workbook" when I'm sending one via media mail, but it never occurred to me to do that.

I thought it curious that comic books, specifically, do not count as media mail.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

My boxes are sealed when I go to the USPS, and I say "media mail" and they say "just books?" and I say "yep" and everyone's happy.

I had a friend do this and the postal worker cut open her box and told her the educational materials she was shipping were not media mail. It was shocking.