Menu

RV rental?

DawnM

Ok, I am trying to think of something that might work next summer.

My parents live in AZ.  They have bought into a retirement center that is graduated so you can end up in full nursing care at the end if necessary.  They are in their late 80's.

I just got back from visiting them (I am in NC) and my mom would like to come out and visit us and her siblings who live in SC.  However, they are in no position for a road trip and even air travel would be very difficult for them.  My dad needs a bathroom every 30 min. due to bladder issues, and neither has any stamina.

I was trying think of how they could get out here.  I could fly back and help them fly here I guess, but I also thought of renting an RV and letting them have comfort and a bathroom while traveling?  And yes, I know I would have to get them back to AZ too.  They would come out for most of the summer next summer if they do this, so 3-4 days of travel and then 6-8 weeks here, and then travel back.

Thoughts?  Would this wear them out more or make it more relaxing?  Have you RV travelled?  Thoughts?  We would most likely get a hotel for sleeping at night, at least for them, and not RV camp.

It's very expensive to rent an RV. Add in fuel and hotel costs and . . . yeah, that's going to be an expensive trip.

Depending on how much everyone used the toilet and how long the drive took you'd probably have to stop somewhere along the way (maybe multiple stops) to dump the tanks and refill water. It's not hard, but you'd have to locate campgrounds along the way. Usually there's a smallish fee ($10 or so) to dump and take on water.

I have no idea if RVs can be rented one way. Hopefully someone else does. I can tell you all about traveling in one (we've owned one for 12 years), but all I know about renting them is that it's very expensive.

When my mom was sick and doing at-home dialysis we took a trip to see my sis from MD to IL (800 miles).   She never really felt well on dialysis and she refused to fly .  I thought this would be a good solution as we could go at our own pace.  We could stop and I could help her get her dialysis up and running (with an iv-type bag) and we'd proceed the rest of the way on our trip.  We could take frequent stops as needed.   Oh, and I took the kids with me - who were probably 12 and under (only 5 of them at the time).  

It was a mistake.  Her needs were much greater than I realized (or she let on) and it took FOREVER to get there.  I think the car broke down in WV too.    I was exhausted and had a sty on my eye from all the long driving.   Then I had to think about the return trip home.  Ugh.   I would not recommend a long car trip with 2 people who are medically frail. 

Perhaps if money isn't an issue-  take a sleeper train?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

Yes, we know they are expensive.  But if there isn't another way......and I really just need a conversion van or small RV not the giant one.  

In our years of RV'ing we've seen maybe three or four conversion van rentals. I don't think they're very common at all, although they may be getting more common--it's just been in the last year that we've seen them at all. The overwhelming majority of rentals (like 99.9 percent) we see are Class Cs. On a van type RV the bathrooms are teeny tiny. If either one has any mobility problems or are much overweight--those could be real issues. Think smaller than a phone booth (with a door that's even smaller). With a Class C the bathroom will be a bit larger, but you might have an issue with them getting in/out of the vehicle. The stairs on most RVs aren't thoughtfully designed as far as spacing and steepness. Also, whichever you got you'd have to consider seat belts, depending on how important those are to you and how much you're willing to risk a ticket. Most van RV's only have the two seats in front. There are four passenger ones, but I really doubt you'd find one of those as a rental. But I could be wrong.

I'd check into the train option.

Edited by Pawz4me

Ok, thanks.  The train probably isn't an option.  

I just looked it up.  3 transfers and a total of 70 hours and 20 minutes.  No way they can do that.  And $1847 per person for a Roomette, which is bunk beds.  Neither of them can climb up a bunk.

And 2 of the transfers are at 2 or 3 in the morning!  Yikes.

Edited by DawnM

4 hours ago, DawnM said:

Ok, thanks.  The train probably isn't an option.  

I just looked it up.  3 transfers and a total of 70 hours and 20 minutes.  No way they can do that.  And $1847 per person for a Roomette, which is bunk beds.  Neither of them can climb up a bunk.

And 2 of the transfers are at 2 or 3 in the morning!  Yikes.

oh boy, that won't work.   I hope you find a good solution.  

• Like 1

I think the RV would wear them out. It would be several long days of travel. I think you would also need to find a really nice one to rent. We have rented from Cruise America and it was fine for us and our kids but I was tired of rattling around in the tin can it was after a week of travel. We also only got about 10 miles to the gallon. I think your parents would fair better with a direct flight. The airlines are pretty good about having wheel chairs available if you let them know. If your dad needs a rest room so often, he should take it up with his doctor.  There might be some medication he could take which might slow things down when he is in transit. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, datgh said:

I think the RV would wear them out. It would be several long days of travel. I think you would also need to find a really nice one to rent. We have rented from Cruise America and it was fine for us and our kids but I was tired of rattling around in the tin can it was after a week of travel. We also only got about 10 miles to the gallon. I think your parents would fair better with a direct flight. The airlines are pretty good about having wheel chairs available if you let them know. If your dad needs a rest room so often, he should take it up with his doctor.  There might be some medication he could take which might slow things down when he is in transit. 

He is a doctor 😁 He has some bladder issues that are just part of where he is in life.  They have tried surgery and he is on some meds.  This is the best we can get right now.  

They have used wheelchairs in airports for about 6 years now.  

I just am thinking they aren't traveling at all anymore.  Last year I helped dad get to his brother's funeral, but it was difficult.  I flew with him.  He struggled.  My mom is in even worse health.

It prob won't work at all.  sigh.

It is so hard to be far away from our parents when they age and I was only and hour and a half away from mine. I can't even imagine what it would be like if they were across the country.  Even plane travel is not a guarantee. My husband had to spend the night in the Baltimore Airport a couple of weeks because he missed his connection. He's in his early 60's and it took its toll.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DawnM said:

I just am thinking they aren't traveling at all anymore.  Last year I helped dad get to his brother's funeral, but it was difficult.  I flew with him.  He struggled.  My mom is in even worse health.

It prob won't work at all.  sigh.

It sounds like they are probably not going to be able to travel for a vacation. If this was going to be a permanent move, you might be able to get some sort of medical transport. 

The last time my mom did any traveling, my dad drove their RV. She got in the RV at home and didn’t leave it for an entire week while they were on the road. They did stay at camp grounds with full hookups along the way. My dad decided that an RV is too big for him to drive, so they will not be doing any more traveling. (He would be fine to travel, but mom cannot)

• Like 1

Dawn,  That is sweet they are planning a trip here!  As a pp mentioned, it's expensive to rent an RV.   I checked in to this several years ago wanting to make a family cross-country trip to west coast and many states in between.  

You mentioned flying is out.  Is it due to your Dad only?  I ask b/c you mentioned renting an RV which I think would be more difficult for them.  Yes, RV's are equipped with bathrooms but 3-4 days!  There are bathrooms are airplanes and it will only take 3-4 hours to get here.  

Is there something I missed?

1 hour ago, sheryl said:

I read a bit more.  Why don't you fly out and bring them back?  Then return them and fly home.   

Is there another family member that could take 1 of the 2 trips in either direction?

As mentioned, they aren't flying well either.  

1 hour ago, Lang Syne Boardie said:

How many family members? Could everyone fly or drive out to see them this summer, as a once-in-a-lifetime family reunion? 

My mother's 5 sisters and brothers and their entire families live fairly close to me (within 3 hours) that is about 30 people plus the 3rd generation down, which I am not even including.  So, no.

And my kids are getting to the point where they have jobs or internships or school and can't take off like they used to.

• Like 1

Dawn, perhaps you can talk with your parents "team" and find out what they would suggest.  I still think a plane flight that is 2 hours long is the best route.  In fact, aren't there services with the airport to help with people who have certain needs?  It's like sending a young child on a plane without a parent.  There are people there to "supervise" and buddy up with that child.  I would think there is something similar for the elderly.  The flight attendants will help "on" the plane.   My Dad wore "Depends" for a while.   It did help.  Would it help your Dad?  

It would be a great opportunity for your parents and y'all.  Why not brainstorm on 2-3 scenarios and present to their providers asking which one may be the better fit?

12 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Dawn, perhaps you can talk with your parents "team" and find out what they would suggest.  I still think a plane flight that is 2 hours long is the best route.  In fact, aren't there services with the airport to help with people who have certain needs?  It's like sending a young child on a plane without a parent.  There are people there to "supervise" and buddy up with that child.  I would think there is something similar for the elderly.  The flight attendants will help "on" the plane.   My Dad wore "Depends" for a while.   It did help.  Would it help your Dad?  

It would be a great opportunity for your parents and y'all.  Why not brainstorm on 2-3 scenarios and present to their providers asking which one may be the better fit?

They have done the wheelchair and help before.  It is just really taxing on them.  And my mom hates to fly.  And it is a 4.5 hour direct flight, not 2 hours.

They don't have "providers" they live in an ind. housing at a retirement center, like Sun City type place in SC.  They are in assisted living.

5 hours ago, sheryl said:

Train? 

See above, already looked into it.

5 hours ago, sheryl said:

I'm talking about their medical team.   Make suggestions and ask for their opinion.

There isn't a medical team.  They have a couple of doctors, but not a team.  And I am 99% Sure they would say, "If you feel up to it, go!"  

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1