Menu

Key to Algebra or Jacobs (or others?) for review of pre-algebra/ intro to algebra

I think I've ruled out Math U See.  My great plans for serious teaching of algebra may be somewhat foiled by the fact that I have to have major surgery next week.  Within a week or two, I'll be more available, but I'm not sure how much mental energy I'm going to have.  She's pretty shaky with foundational skills, but I honestly don't know what skills she has and doesn't have.  I want clarity, confidence boosting, but I also need it to be engaging.  I think Jacobs would appeal the most, but I'm worried that the steps would be too big.  I haven't been able to get my hands on actual copies of either of these to really look at them.  The small steps in Key to Algebra look like they might be good.  But I'm really not sure.  

If she is shaky on foundational skills, you may want to back up and do the other Keys to books before. I wouldn't think you would want to move forward into Keys to Algebra yet. Just so you know the first 1/3 of Jacobs does focus on pre-algebra skills. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Yeah, I'm not 100% sure what she knows and what she doesn't know.  She got an A last quarter of seventh grade math and passed the seventh grade math end of year test.  

Maybe do a placement test for a couple of curriculums to see if there are glaring holes--you'd be seeing the specific results to know the nature of any errors or what frustrated her. I know Math Mammoth has them on their site. Other publishers might offer them as well. If she doesn't have glaring holes, then maybe you can just go with Jacobs, Foerster, or Keys to Algebra.

• Like 2

Just throwing it out there that Singapore's DImensions math series is visually pretty appealing. 6 to 8 cover pre-algebra through algebra. So you could do a placement and she where she lands. 

Singapore Math Live is adding DM 7 & 8 to their offerings so there are lectures and solution recordings.

https://www.singaporemath.com/Dimensions_Math_s/339.htm

https://www.singaporemathlive.com/dimensions-math.html

• Like 2

16 hours ago, calbear said:

Just throwing it out there that Singapore's DImensions math series is visually pretty appealing. 6 to 8 cover pre-algebra through algebra. So you could do a placement and she where she lands. 

Singapore Math Live is adding DM 7 & 8 to their offerings so there are lectures and solution recordings.

https://www.singaporemath.com/Dimensions_Math_s/339.htm

https://www.singaporemathlive.com/dimensions-math.html

I have never heard of Singapore Math Live--mind blown. I may need that in the next year or two.

My impression of the Keys is that they are more for reinforcement of procedural skills than primary instruction.  Jacobs is extremely gentle, but it's important to understand that the instruction is mostly in the problem sets, so works best when there is an instructor that not only instructs but sees the big picture.  The best way to do this that I've found is to do the Set II problems myself before I sit down with the kid.

• Like 1

Yeah, I REALLY like what I've seen from Jacobs.  I think it would definitely be the best textbook for her.  Sorta looking for an older edition though.  I don't want to pay the prices for the newer editions on amazon for working this summer when I don't know what my recovery is going to look like.  I'm concerned I may have major brain fog after major surgery and not be able to really work effectively with her.  

My dd did preA last year and did great. I bought the first 7 Key to Algebras and she has done the practice tests at the end of books 1, 2 and 3 with boredom. Too bad! I wanted her to get a bit of exposure to Algebra topics before hitting that next year, but so far, nothing new. On one hand, perhaps I should be happy and it will all work out fine as is, but on the other hand, I paid for the books hoping to get a head start in next year's topics. We'll keep moving through, but I thought I would share since you are in a similar boat, heading a similar direction!

• Like 1

I used Keys along with LoF PA for my DD’s first run through PA (she followed it with AoPs-I wanted it very solid), and the two worked well. I agree that Keys is more problem sets than instruction. The workbook format is nice for kids who struggle with copying from a book or just plain find it tedious, and there are relatively few problems per page, which is nice. She also liked being able to finish a “book” so quickly.