Menu

LA for 2nd/3rd grade

kaitneel

I am paralyzed by this decision 😩😩 

My daughter is a rising 2nd Grader but very advanced in areas of LA.

Grammar and writing is where I’m struggling. Last year she used Shurley English at co-op and she thrived with it! I have the manual for this year and I HATE it(not doing co-op). It’s written to the teacher to cover an hour long lesson 5 days a week.... that’s not happening. And do I really want to sort through that information every single week to pick out the one or two things I want to teach?? But like I said, my daughter thrived and knows more grammar then I do. 

So now I’m stuck. Do I stick with Shurley English? I’m also drawn to the new Abeka language 3 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️ Cathy Duffy has good things to say about their grammar and I like that my daughter could really do this on her own. OR do I just find a resource for simple grammar and maybe just focus on writing this year since she’s only entering 2nd grade and already has such a strong grammar background? Oddly that thought never occurred to me until right now 🤷🏼‍♀️ Also, at times I feel like maybe I want to use the good and the beautiful level 3. So add that in the mix 😂

I didn’t feel like Shurley touched on writing like I want so I’m thinking of using Evan moor’s daily 6 trait writing this year.

For other LA, we are using the sonlight grade4/5 readers this year and I don’t really need anything for reading or phonics. We stopped phonics in Kindergarten and just use AAS now which is working great for us. So at least I’ve made solid decisions in a few areas 😆

Hmm. I guess I don’t really know. I know that I don’t want an all in one curriculum that includes all aspects of LA since I’m happy with my reading and spelling. I could go in the direction of Abeka or I could go with a totally different classical/Charlotte mason style. 

I know I don’t like first language lessons. It looked incredibly easy and not as thoroughbred. 

I think I’m leaning towards Abeka bc I think she could do it very independently and I could just cross off what I don’t want her to do. I could focus my teaching time with her on writing skills and literature based writing. 🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️

38 minutes ago, kaitneel said:

I think I’m leaning towards Abeka bc I think she could do it very independently and I could just cross off what I don’t want her to do. I could focus my teaching time with her on writing skills and literature based writing. 🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️

Yes!  Do that.  You could also look at easy grammar, which would be a lot cheaper and still pretty independent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kaitneel said:

I could focus my teaching time with her on writing skills and literature based writing. 🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️

If you want to do that, why not just do that and not bother with ABeka?

I figured with doing some of the Abeka workbook she could continue to do the grammar on her own. She learns very well on her own and she would be able to read the box at the top and then practice with the grammar portion 🤷🏼‍♀️

3 hours ago, kaitneel said:

I figured with doing some of the Abeka workbook she could continue to do the grammar on her own. She learns very well on her own and she would be able to read the box at the top and then practice with the grammar portion 🤷🏼‍♀️

If you want only grammar, then I'd recommend something like Easy Grammar, although it's really important for *you* to make corrections before she does the next assignment.

I think easy grammar 2 is my top contender if I’m just looking for grammar. But on the other hand, I just watched a 15 minute video of the revised language 3 and I really really liked it. I think I’ve at least decided I’m going to sell the Shurley English and it’s between Abeka language (plus additional writing) or the additional writing and easy grammar. I think I’ve decided not to use the good and the beautiful today. It incorporates so much like art and geography and I just don’t need those things so it’s more pages of my deciding what to print and what to skip. 

Okay so this is good progress! Definitely using 6 trait writing grade 3. Could either use easy grammar 2 with that or Abeka language 3. I think I lean towards Abeka bc the new version just really incorporated a lot of sentence structure and I just really liked the look of it. 

I’m likely switching to MCT in another year or two. So I’m just looking for a good foundation here.

I have 🙂 we used it this year as a supplement to shurley. There are certain things I live about it like it’s lessons on reading beautiful books and good character but other things that didn’t work well for us. It’s not easy to separate a curriculum like that for an advanced reader. We just skipped all the reading and spelling rules pages and I sort of just picked lessons I wanted to do 2-3 times a week. It was truly enjoyable but I downloaded level 3 and I don’t think it’s going to work as my main curriculum. But for kids who are all at one level for LA I think it’s great 

On 5/29/2019 at 6:20 PM, kaitneel said:

Okay so this is good progress! Definitely using 6 trait writing grade 3. Could either use easy grammar 2 with that or Abeka language 3. I think I lean towards Abeka bc the new version just really incorporated a lot of sentence structure and I just really liked the look of it.

IMHO, it would be better to just do Easy Grammar than to buy the ABeka workbook and pick out the grammar stuff. You could add Easy Writing as a supplement; it has activities to give the children extra practice in using different sentence structures. You pick and choose the ones you want, in any order.