Menu

Advice on stopping cat from chasing dog?

Joker

We've had the cat about a year (she was a rescue) and the dog about 4 years (also a rescue). The cat is 12 pounds and the dog is 16, so roughly the same size. The cat only in the past few months started coming downstairs and feeling comfortable. Now, she's down all the time. She has started chasing our dog if she happens to get too close. Most of the time our dog has no idea where the cat is so it really scares her. This morning I watched the cat jump out of nowhere to chase the dog and now the dog is afraid to get off the couch. It's almost like the cat is purposefully hiding and waiting. 😲 We've tried lots of different cat toys to engage her but she is afraid of them. She only likes things that don't make noise. It's so weird - she's afraid of cat toys but not the dog! Thankfully there hasn't been anything more than chasing and hissing but I am worried about what might happen if we're not home and the dog can't run right to us. 

What can we do to stop it? I really don't like the dog being so afraid all the time. 

A quick squirt with a water bottle will do the trick.  Make a noise while you do it -- a loud hiss or a certain yelp (in order to avoid confusion, choose a noise you don't usually make, could even being shouting STOP) -- and the cat will learn that the noise means the squirt of water is likely on the way.  Soon you should be able to simply make the noise and the cat will  know to knock off whatever it's doing.

If the cat is really sensitive to noise, a quick hand clap might also do the trick, startling it into stopping.  OTOH, that's how my neighbor calls her cat in when it gets out (the sound carries well), so that might be a noise that you want to save for a positive reinforcement.

Edited by GailV
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I would tell the cat to knock it off. Our cat chases our dogs and we just  yell at him  (not in a mean way) and he stops. Our bunnies chase the cat and dog and we do the same with them. 

I think that there is a misperception that only dogs can be trained. 

I agree.  My little rescue kitty is so smart.  

• Like 2

I suspect they will work it out in time and reach something that resembles peaceful cohabitation. But there's also nothing wrong with trying some of the methods suggested to speed things up. While things are getting sorted out would it be a big problem to separate them while you're gone? Shut one of them in a bedroom or other room? If you have a crate it can be used for either of them, not necessarily just the dog. Most cats will settle down in a crate if you cover it with a towel (or sheet, blanket, etc.). Plus it helps condition them to being in a crate/carrier so they don't freak out so much when you need to take them to the vet. 

• Like 3