Menu

Making an appointment: use same dr. or use a PA?

Night Elf

Ds wants to go back to the dermatologist because his acne is getting worse again. We have the high dosage of Retin-A that we've been using but I think he should probably go back on antibiotics. He can't wash with benzoyl peroxide because it makes his face red and tingly. He also has some eczema on his wrists and back of his thumbs and knuckles that I'd like to have seen.

Last time we went, we saw a MD and she was super nice. She was patient and explained things to my ds in a way he could understand. She listened to his questions and answered them fully to his satisfaction. The soonest I can get him in to see her is May 10th.

Or I can go with a PA who can see him on May 3rd. We have no experience with this person. 

What would you do? FWIW, ds stopped washing his face and using the Retin-A so it's no surprise his acne has returned. It's all over his face again. The Retin-A is making a small difference but he would like the opinion of a professional that it will clear up just using this topical.

One week longer is not a huge wait time--I'd go with who you know you and your son are comfortable with and trust-- so Dr.

I have nothing against PA's -- My shoulder surgeon is a 'man of few words'-- very sweet-- but not an 'explainer'.  He is paired with a wonderful PA assistant who is awesome at explaining.  I rather see her for my appointments!

I think you could do either.  It's probably fine to wait the extra week, knowing your ds likes her.  On the other hand, if all he wants is a renewal of a prescription, then it's probably fine to meet with the PA.  (But if he's looking for some new ideas altogether, then I'd probably wait the extra week and meet with the doctor.)   My dd's would return pretty fiercely once she took a break from her skin routine.  One thing about the benzoyl peroxide -- if you start by using it very sparingly, just a little twice a week, and then slowly buildup to every day, skin usually adjusts to it and doesn't become red and tingly anymore.  That was our experience anyway, and is what the doctor told us.

I suggest waiting if he can stand it.  Finding a doctor or PA who is patient, explains things well, etc. can be so hard.  

This has nothing to do with PA or MD. We've had very good experiences with PAs, particularly, for some reason, in dermatology.   It's just... if you know you like the person and trust their advice, stick with them if you can. 

Edited by marbel

I'd probably wait for the doctor, since she is known, but then maybe the visit after that see the PA. I like my doctor a lot, but a couple of times we saw the NP on her team because of scheduling issues, and the NP had some more hands on experience with our question and gave some fresh eyes.