Menu

Painted Brick?

DawnM

1 hour ago, Selkie said:

A lot of the new construction around here has brick on the front and maybe the sides, and then they put siding on the back to save money. Sometimes it is only the front that is brick, if the sides aren't very visible from the street.

Our house was unusual when we built it because it is brick all the way around. It was worth the extra expense to us - we love the way it looks and the brick has required zero maintenance.

that is true.  As I was driving my son to school this morning I realized there are brick-front houses (houses where only the front is a brick fascade).  But, I guess I never considered them "a brick house" like I do an all brick house.  LOL - we used to live in one, but I never thought of it as a brick house.  It has vinyl siding on 3 sides.  Ohh, do I see another crock-pot-like controversy coming? 😉

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, PrincessMommy said:

that is true.  As I was driving my son to school this morning I realized there are brick-front houses (houses where only the front is a brick fascade).  But, I guess I never considered them "a brick house" like I do an all brick house.  LOL - we used to live in one, but I never thought of it as a brick house.  It has vinyl siding on 3 sides.  Ohh, do I see another crock-pot-like controversy coming? 😉

The city I used to live in specified that all new houses had to have a brick front and be a minimum percentage of brick.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Hmmm. Is the reason merely aesthetic or actually practical?

Snobbery.    The idea is that if you can't afford a brick house then they don't want you to live there.   Literally.    

When I bought that house, I knew I'd move before raising a child there because of the snobbery.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Oh my. That’s too bad. I know our brick homes better withstand some types of damage and I thought perhaps that was true in your case. Sorry. 

To be fair, I think a lot of that is what is traditional in a certain area.  I live in Texas which has had access to cheap bricks from Mexico.  I remember years ago a visiting work friend talking about building a home in Connecticut.   The area had a rule of at least 3 acres for each house, so not small. starter homes.  He was talking about the cladding they were installing and how shocked he was by all the brick houses in my area.   I told him that 'people' would think 'Why didn't you save your money until you could buy a real house?' if someone built a wood house.  

We live in a very old wood house now.  DH vastly prefers wood and he cares more about the outside of the house.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shawthorne44 said:

Snobbery.    The idea is that if you can't afford a brick house then they don't want you to live there.   Literally.    

When I bought that house, I knew I'd move before raising a child there because of the snobbery.  

My previous neighborhood had that kind of snobbery - although not with brick.  The houses were built with a Williamsburg theme.  Including Cedar shingles and wood siding.  Such an expense for upkeep.  Fortunately, the previous owners replaced with asphalt shingles before they stopped allowing it.  They became pickier and pickier in the 7yrs we lived there.  I hated it. 

Edited by PrincessMommy

On 3/31/2019 at 5:50 AM, DawnM said:

What color is an update for walls right now?  Ours are just a tan and it fits with all the wood we have, but the houses I have been in lately that are new are mostly gray/blue colors.

I think that's what's in right now.  Lots of really pale grays and blues, but on the softer, warmer end of the spectrum.  For external brick, I'd think gray or white.  Inside, I'd look at pale gray, blue, and white.  It looks like lots of homes are getting staged with white everywhere and decorated with plants and natural straw-colored accents.  Stark white is a bit too clinical for me, but I feel that way about stainless appliances, so clearly my tastes are not current.  I do not want to clean some of these solid white kitchens and baths, but I think that's what might be selling right now. 

I am happy about the resurgence of mid-century modern things.  That's the architecture of my home and for us it's clean without being too extremely minimal. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

My previous neighborhood had that kind of snobbery - although not with brick.  The houses were built with a Williamsburg theme.  Including Cedar shingles and wood siding.  Such an expense for upkeep.  Fortunately, the previous owners replaced with asphalt shingles before they stopped allowing it.  They became pickier and pickier in the 7yrs we lived there.  I hated it. 

I was thinking about shutters in general the other day.  (I know you said shingles, but this is just how my mind works. Leap with me.)  At what point did we all decide that houses NEED decorative shutters on all of the windows? I love them in coastal towns where they're clearly functional, but I',m not sure they need to be a feature on every house that's built.  

• Like 4

Many of the homes in my neighborhood, built in the 80s, are all brick. The later ones built in a different part of the development (90s) are brick fronts, vinyl or wood. The newest, posh subdivisions are 100% brick.

Edited by Sneezyone