Menu

Anyone have a sparkling water maker they like?

PrincessMommy

Following, because I've been thinking of one.  I love the New York Seltzers (vanilla and root beer flavor) because they are minimally sweet.  Don't like plain soda seltzer, don't like any of the artificially flavored seltzers (even the Stevia taste gags me), and want to stay away from the packed with sugar ones.  New York Seltzers are expensive though!  I want soda water with just enough flavor/sugar to not make it have that bitter taste.  Seems like making it myself is the only way to get it without paying so much!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

I have a standard soda stream that I like.  If I were buying another, I would try to get one that has glass bottles that can be run through the dishwasher (the bottles are not all interchangeable from unit to unit)

I can't seem to find one with glass.  The plastic ones can't be run through the dishwasher?  ugh

6 minutes ago, happi duck said:

Which one?  Did you find one with glass bottles?

This one:

https://www.amazon.com/SodaStream-Fizzi-Sparkling-Starter-Bottle/dp/B07HMKZS2J/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2NKLGT5SWUKF8&keywords=soda+stream+aqua+fizz+machine&qid=1551370781&s=gateway&sprefix=soda+stream+aqua%2Caps%2C152&sr=8-2

but it doesn't have good reviews.  I found it cheaper and with better reviews at BB&Beyond but I don't know what to believe. 

Edited to add:

Here's the link to BB&Beyond:  https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/sodastream-reg-aqua-fizz-sparkling-water-maker-starter-kit/1062776707  

I may buy it there just for ease of returns if there's a problem.

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, happi duck said:

@goldberry

Iirc, New York Seltzer is a sodapop.  You might want to double check the sugar content.  I'm pretty sure it's on par with Coke etc.  

I hope I'm wrong!

The one I like most is 23g compared to 39g for cola.  I actually could go even less if I was doing it myself.  I just want to get rid of the bitter taste!

• Like 1

Some of the soda stream plastic bottles can be run through the dishwasher; they are specially marked; but all of the bottle heights are not compatible with all of the machines.  The bottles have an "expiration date" because of the pressure they are repeatedly put under. 

The bottles don't need to be thoroughly washed each time if they just contain water and carbonation (so long as you are not adding the flavors to them, which I usually do not--we reserve a few bottles for that).   I would like the ability to occasionally run the bottles through the dishwasher when someone who has greasy hands or a virus has handled the bottle.  

Awhile back regentrude suggested Sodastream .  I got that and like it. I have the plastic bottle for making the fizzy water, and two glass bottles for storing.  We don’t have a dishwasher and the bottles only have water in them.  I keep the lid on, so nothing else would get in.

26 minutes ago, Pen said:

Awhile back regentrude suggested Sodastream .  I got that and like it. I have the plastic bottle for making the fizzy water, and two glass bottles for storing.  We don’t have a dishwasher and the bottles only have water in them.  I keep the lid on, so nothing else would get in.

Do you move it from one bottle to the other and then cap it off?

1 hour ago, PrincessMommy said:

Do you move it from one bottle to the other and then cap it off?

Yes.  When I make it I often do 3 bottles at a time.  Fill each glass carafe (which have top made to keep in fizz), then use the final plastic bottle of it to fill drinking glasses right away.  I don’t like foods to have long exposure to plastics even if supposedly less bad plastic.  

• Like 1