Menu

Biology with lab, is this still a one credit class?

CA requires 2-3 years (can't recall the exact number) of science with labs. Do labs have to be conducted during the entire 2 semesters for us to put down a credit of biology? What if we were to do only one semester? What sort of credit would I indicate on the transcript? WTMA offers 2 semesters, but since DD wants to take anatomy with 2 semesters of labs at WTMA, I'm not sure if it's going to be too overwhelming to concurrently take biology lab as well. We've been doing biology since January using Great Courses, but biology will be counted on her high school transcript. 

• Like 1

I am not sure about CA, but in general, yes, I believe that your DD would need to do labs each semester.  And, yes, I believe that it is a one Credit course and that one Credit includes the Labs.  The same for Chemistry and Physics.  So, one Credit for Biology, one Credit for Chemistry and one Credit for Physics = 3 Credits on the transcript.  

If you only did a Lab one semester for a subject, I do not believe that you could give a full Credit for that course.

Hopefully someone familiar with CA regs will see your thread and provide accurate information.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lab science is a one credit course and UC requires two and prefers three. SAT biology score can be use to get credit by exam (Each test clears one year:

Biology: Score of 540)

UC guideline for lab science though I don’t think anyone would audit https://hs-articulation.ucop.edu/guide/a-g-subject-requirements/d-laboratory-science/

At least 20 percent of class time will include teacher-supervised, hands-on laboratory activities that are directly related to, and support, the other class work, and that involve inquiry, observation, analysis, and write-up of investigations consistent with the practices of the scientific field. Teacher supervision may be synchronous or asynchronous, depending on whether the learning environment is classroom-based, fully online, or a hybrid.”

ETA:

Since your daughter is going to take computer science 

“ Computer Science, Engineering, Applied Science courses can be used in area D as an additional laboratory science (i.e., third year and beyond).” http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/requirements/a-g-requirements/index.html

Edited by Arcadia
  • Thanks 1

Here is what is at the bottom of the Biology page at WTMA:

*A student will earn a full laboratory science credit if taking a non-lab science and the corresponding lab together. For example, if a student takes Biology and one-semester of Biology lab, she will earn 1.5 laboratory science credits.

The amount of labs for one semester I suspect will be about the same as those spread out over a school year at a brick and mortar school. My daughter did Bio at PS and they probably did the minimum amount of labs -- maybe 6-8 max?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SanDiegoMom in VA said:

Here is what is at the bottom of the Biology page at WTMA:

*A student will earn a full laboratory science credit if taking a non-lab science and the corresponding lab together. For example, if a student takes Biology and one-semester of Biology lab, she will earn 1.5 laboratory science credits.

The amount of labs for one semester I suspect will be about the same as those spread out over a school year at a brick and mortar school. My daughter did Bio at PS and they probably did the minimum amount of labs -- maybe 6-8 max?

That was my thinking as well, if local schools do about 8-10 for a year, that would be a semester at WTMA. If I recall Jetta did 12 labs during the year, and I haven't had the chance look over Dicentra's labs. 

Normally I would just do biology for 9th grade (she's already had physics and is now in chemistry), but the one class DD has asked for is an anatomy class, which cannot be an asynchronous class. I was thinking of taking anatomy or bio at CC but that doesn’t seem like a good idea to take our first college course in science. 

Anatomy at the CC is going to be a pre-nursing/pre-allied health class. It will be A LOT of memorization. I took anatomy at SDSU and it was the hardest class I've ever taken. I don't know how bad it was at the local CCs, but I'd still be wary as a first college course. My class at SDSU had a lot of stressed out pre-meds/pre-pharm/pre-dental. Aside from the usual memorization of all the bones, muscles, joints, etc., we had to ID a lot of the stuff on cadavers, did quite a few dissections, and had to know a lot of tissue pathology (which was HARD, at least for me).

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

Anatomy at the CC is going to be a pre-nursing/pre-allied health class. It will be A LOT of memorization. I took anatomy at SDSU and it was the hardest class I've ever taken. I don't know how bad it was at the local CCs, but I'd still be wary as a first college course. My class at SDSU had a lot of stressed out pre-meds/pre-pharm/pre-dental. Aside from the usual memorization of all the bones, muscles, joints, etc., we had to ID a lot of the stuff on cadavers, did quite a few dissections, and had to know a lot of tissue pathology (which was HARD, at least for me).

That was my friend’s experience locally as well minus a cadaver (or maybe I just didn’t hear about that). It was overwhelming amount of homework and took a big chunk of school day. In her child’s case it was worth it since he was going eventually for medical field, so those classes were heavily prioritized on his high school transcript along with bio. 

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 2

Whatever you do, be sure to keep copies of all of your labs since you are not going the a-g certified course route. A local homeschooling mom (two in college now) who does college consulting says that her son's science course was audited. They wanted to see copies of all the labs that were completed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

That was my friend’s experience locally as well minus a cadaver (or maybe I just didn’t hear about that). It was overwhelming amount of homework and took a big chunk of school day. In her child’s case it was worth it since he was going eventually for medical field, so those classes were heavily prioritized on his high school transcript along with bio. 

I don't think our local CCs had cadavers. This class was just ludicrously and unnecessarily hard -- 50% of the class failed. I've never been more stoked with a B+ in my life. There was an insane time crunch to the exams. We had to rotate through a bajillion stations, and you had to ID what the arrow was pointing at in a very short period of time. It could be a sticky flag on a model, a tissue sample on a slide under a microscope with an arrow pointing to a small part of the sample (the worst for me -- I suck at pathology), or some obscure part of a muscle on the cadavers. We hard very little time and you either knew it or you didn't (and you couldn't go back later). No word bank for my old farty brain and I get massive test anxiety panicky like my poor kid. It was horrendous. I know the CC class wasn't nearly as bad (because I took micro at the CC and nobody complained about anatomy being as awful as mine was), but still no bueno for a first class IMO. They are known to be weeder classes.

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SeaConquest said:

I don't think our local CCs had cadavers. This class was just ludicrously and unnecessarily hard -- 50% of the class failed. I've never been more stoked with a B+ in my life. There was an insane time crunch to the exams. We had to rotate through a bajillion stations, and you had to ID what the arrow was pointing at in a very short period of time. It could be a sticky flag on a model, a tissue sample on a slide under a microscope with an arrow pointing to a small part of the sample (the worst for me -- I suck at pathology), or some obscure part of a muscle on the cadavers. We hard very little time and you either knew it or you didn't (and you couldn't go back later). No word bank for my old farty brain and I get massive test anxiety panicky like my poor kid. It was horrendous. I know the CC class wasn't nearly as bad (because I took micro at the CC and nobody complained about anatomy being as awful as mine was), but still no bueno for a first class IMO. They are known to be weeder classes.

Our CC runs a highly competitive nursing program. It takes perfect grades and many years of waiting to get into it. As you mentioned A&P is a required course, so it's very, very rigorous here as well and requires massive amounts of memorization.  

• Like 2