Menu

News: Russian River California mandatory evacuation

Arcadia

From CBS https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2019/02/26/atmospheric-river-flood-warnings-russian-napa-rivers/

“GUERNEVILLE (CBS SF) – Sonoma County officials ordered the residents from more than two dozens communities located along the rain-swollen Russian River Tuesday to immediately evacuate their homes and find safety on higher ground.

Thousands of residents were covered by the order that covered 25 communities including Guerneville, Jenner, Monte Rio and Rio Dell. Evacuation centers were set up at the Sebastopol Center for the Arts and the Sonoma County Fairgrounds in Santa Rosa.

Here are the communities covered by the order:

• Asti
  • Bailhache
  • Chianti
  • Guerneville
  • Guernewood
  • Guernewood Park
  • Hacienda
  • Jenner
  • Jimtown
  • Korbel
  • Lytton
  • Northwood
  • Northwood Lodge
  • Rio Dell
  • Rolands
  • Sheridan
  • Duncans Mills
  • El Bonita
  • Mirabel Heights
  • Mirabel Park
  • Monte Rio
  • Montesano
  • Summerhome Park
  • Vacation Beach
  • Wilson Grove

Officials anticipate the river at Guerneville will reach the flood stage of 32 feet by 7 p.m. Tuesday night. The river is expected to crest at just over 46 feet Wednesday night, 14 feet above flood stage.”

Edited by Arcadia

From abc7news https://abc7news.com/weather/crews-rescue-2-people-from-mudslide-along-russian-river/5158387/

“Crews rescue 2 people from mudslide along Russian River

ABC7 News was on the scene at Bohemian Highway near Monte Rio, not far from Guerneville, where crews rescued two people who got stuck in a big mudslide Tuesday afternoon.

"Well I fell into the mud when the tree fell over the top of me. It happened so fast you don't even know, you know. It's like I see an image of a tree. It's not there. It's there. You know what I mean," said Kear Koch, mudslide survivor.

The landslide closed bohemian highway indefinitely.

Another section of the road is expected to be closed for weeks due to flooding”

• Like 1

Thanks for everyone's concern! I am to the East in the larger Sacramento area but we used to live near the Russian River and still have relatives there so we are watching this closely. And I have been having issues with the board. Fortunately, today I can post. The other day I could not reply to any thread. For the moment, we are okay. After all, we had out scare in 2017 with the Oroville Dam disaster.

Just checked on the situation along the Russian River. The last time it got this high was in 1997 and we lived in Sonoma County back then. Water was running in the streets 1- 2 feet high. Luckily, the house was a little higher with a sloping driveway and no water got in. 

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 2

Thanks for posting this, Arcadia.

Guernville area is my old stomping grounds, and I know well what it looks like under water. Flooding used to be a pretty regular occurrence, although 14 feet over flood stage...wow. What a mess. I hope people are safe. 

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Liz CA said:

I am to the East in the larger Sacramento area but we used to live near the Russian River and still have relatives there so we are watching this closely.

Flood map https://socoemergency.org/flood-map-available/

Sonoma County Emergency and Preparedness Information https://socoemergency.org/

ETA:

Sonoma Sheriff Facebook page

“Good morning. Guerneville is officially land locked. Due to flooding all roads leading to the community are impassable. You will not be able to get into or out of town without a boat today.”

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1