Menu

if you have 6-8 kids

and half of them or more are teenagers,...how much do you spend on groceries these days?

we spend around $700/month (that includes all paper/cleaning/personal hygiene products and food/treats for 2 dogs). I just don't know if that's reasonable, or not

That's very reasonable. We spend at least that much on groceries alone.

We have 6 dc and the oldest 3 are 14, 13, and 11. There are 2 adults and 1 senior here, too (9 people total)...I aim for $800-900/month and that's usually just about right if I try to shop the sales carefully but without being a frugal nut and getting a good amount of fresh fruits and veggies. I do my best. lol

I don't spend a lot less than that for our family of four. I do buy mostly organic, but not all. I buy very little meat, no juices, only a couple of prepared things (tortilla chips, salsa, cereal)... I do buy tons and tons of produce.

I'm impressed that you keep it that *low*, honestly!

ETA: I *could* spend less. But we can afford to spend this much, and health and convenience are higher priorities for me right now than minimizing food costs.

Edited by abbeyej

USDA Food Plans -- Cost of Food at home... http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publications/FoodPlans/2008/CostofFoodSep08.pdf

According to them, $600/month for a family like mine (two adults, two pre-teen children) is "thrifty". (They list four levels: thrifty, low-cost, moderate, liberal -- liberal would be $1185...) The data above is from this past month. You can see a month-by-month breakdown for the last 14 years here: http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/USDAFoodCost-Home.htm

They indicate an increase of about 50% over the last ten years...

and half of them or more are teenagers,...how much do you spend on groceries these days?

we spend around $700/month (that includes all paper/cleaning/personal hygiene products and food/treats for 2 dogs). I just don't know if that's reasonable, or not

Looks like some of us who don't fit your qualifications feel compelled to reassure you.:) I can't fathom spending as little as you (or Camy...wow!) on food for a family of teens. I spend more than you and my oldest is just 13 ~ and we only eat meat a couple of times a week. Granted, I shop at a natural foods co-op and wine is integral to my diet.;) But eating well (organic, local, etc) is important to me. There are other areas where I'd rather cut corners.

Hey Jodi,

We spend $700 per month for our family. This includes all food, tolietries, cleaning supplies, outside food needs for the family (taking meals, pizza at co-op) and those trips with kids through Burger King or Firehouse Subs. This month, between 3 Thanksgiving Feasts, 1 election teen party, taking meals to friends, and some other obligations, I've already warned dh that we'll either go over a bit or live out the last week on beans and rice, pasta and sauce. :tongue_smilie:

Given prices these days, $700 seems very reasonable though it's twice what I used to spend. Again, :tongue_smilie:

HTH!

Lisa