Menu

Injury on private property. Call business?

AbcdeDooDah

Dd16 slipped last night on icy stairs at grocery store. Went to ER because we thought her arm was broken.  Xray was clear but she still can't use her arm. We'll follow up in a few days to check for tissue damage if it doesn't get better.  

The insurance will ask where it happened.  Should we give the business a heads-up? We've always paid the medical bills for injuries on private property so I'm not looking for a payout. I know they have cameras so I was thinking a heads up would be good so they can review the footage. If the insurance company goes after them, they might think it's a false claim.  I don't know.

Edited by AbcdeDooDah

7 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

The insurance will contact the store and will be looking for the store's insurance to pay.  It's why the store has insurance on their property. 

My kids didn't tell anyone, they just came home and we went to get it checked out. They might assume it's fake. I guess that's for the insurance to figure out. I don't know how they get it all sorted out in the end.

23 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

My kids didn't tell anyone, they just came home and we went to get it checked out. They might assume it's fake. I guess that's for the insurance to figure out. I don't know how they get it all sorted out in the end.

A claim that has been triggered by an actual injury seen by a doctor is not going to be assumed fake.  And as you said, there are cameras. 

• Like 1

I would let them know, so they aren't surprised at getting a call from the insurance company or possibly a notice that you are suing them  - they'll know it's really your insurance company suing for medical damages on your behalf.  That happened to a friend once when a neighbor's dc got hurt playing on my friend's property.  She was really upset that the neighbor was suing her without ever even telling her the child had gotten hurt, but it turned out the other family's insurance was just looking for reimbursement of the medical claim from her insurance.  The neighbor didn't know anything about it.

43 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

Well, they read the message. I kind of expected an "is she okay?" but whatever. 

For their legal protection policy, it may need to go to their corporate office before they respond.

Edited by Tap
  • Like 3