Menu

2019 Summer Camp Thread!

SKL

This year I started getting emails and flyers in January about summer camp!  I have our plans about 2/3 decided.  [updates added]

I am trying to leave some weeks "free" this summer, as my kids are 12yo and should be able to occupy themselves up to a point.  However, I need to keep them busy and away while I work on my Mega June Work Deadline(s).

Full time day camps / sleep-away camps:

• Chess camp.
  • Zoo camp - wildlife biology (should be interesting for my kid who wants to be a veterinarian.)
  • Culture camp.
  • Residential musical theater camp.
  • [2 week break for Independence Day / travel / whatever]
  • Junior Medical camp.
  • [updated] Cooking camp.
  • Academic review / study skills - 2 weeks.

I need to decide what, if anything, to do about academic skills review over the whole summer.  Will I have the discipline to keep after them to do online work?  If so, I think that would be best.

I was looking at Brave Writer last year, but didn't end up doing it.  I might do it this year.  Also, does anyone know of anything similar for math?  I know there are online options for kids to work on their own, but what about someone on the other end to provide accountability?  I guess I could try Sylvan again, but I don't feel like that was worth the time (we had to drive an hour for each session).

Every year I say we're going to do challenging games, science projects, sharing many books, etc., but usually we don't do much.  Hopefully this year will be different ....

We have travel planned for late April, so I am not sure we will do any in the summer.  If we do, it will probably be stateside.  Would love to study the geology and history bla bla bla, but my kids would rather not, so we'll see ....

Sports - we will continue TKD for both, gymnastics for Kid 1, horse riding for Kid 2.  And probably swimming in between, but not team.  If I could find a local age-appropriate program for sports conditioning / running, I would try it, but I don't think we have anything nearby.

Would love to say that we're going to do lots of scout badges, but I think we're going to drop scouts after this next cross-over.

What are you guys planning?

Edited by SKL

DD14 is an alternate for Governor’s School. We’ll find out in the next few weeks if she has a slot based on confirmations (students can apply to multiple programs, so it’s fairly common for slots to open up by the deadline for confirming your attendance). If she doesn’t do that, she’s applying to another program she’s done in the past (unless she stalls too long and it fills up), and would also enjoy. That one is harder logistically.

She also has to decide if she’s going to cheer next season, and if so, where. That usually comes about April, and will weigh into the summer schedule. 

Trinqueta is going to do UDallas' Summer Latin in Rome program. She's very excited and has already made quite a bit of progress on Duolingo's Italian lessons. I'm glad that we managed to get all the parts of the application in by their early application deadline and got the 5% discount. There's still a bit of paperwork to have notarized so that she can travel without a parent, but most of the stuff that's my responsibility is taken care of.

https://udallas.edu/travel/

• Like 1

I don’t know what DS will do because we are waiting to hear from competitive programs. There will be some manner of creative writing camp somewhere. 

Dd (8) will do nature camp, sports camp, Shakespeare camp.i wish there was a local math and science type camp but no, it’s all frolic-around-in-nature here. 

4 minutes ago, chiguirre said:

Trinqueta is going to do UDallas' Summer Latin in Rome program. She's very excited and has already made quite a bit of progress on Duolingo's Italian lessons. I'm glad that we managed to get all the parts of the application in by their early application deadline and got the 5% discount. There's still a bit of paperwork to have notarized so that she can travel without a parent, but most of the stuff that's my responsibility is taken care of.

That’s so exciting! I love Rome though there were about 14 years between the two times I visited (DS newborn, DS 14). The number of tourists now is astounding, I walked away from several sites bc people people everywhere. Have her eat some artichokes if in season. It had just ended when i went last year. 

• Like 3

I signed the kids up for the June Brave Writer book club course.  I hope they cooperate.

I'm torn about a cooking camp I found.  It's full time during a week when they are free.  They could really use an intensive cooking course!  Theoretically I should be teaching them, but it isn't happening at the rate it should.  One of them seems destined to be a Nuker Ninja all her life, LOL.  Hmm ... I guess I'll probably sign up for it ....  That will still leave 3.5 weeks camp-free ....

ETA I did sign them up for the cooking camp.

Edited by SKL

I'm gonna use this thread to think out loud about summer ideas, not just camps.  Feel free to do the same!

I ordered 3 "summer bridge" books.  I thought they didn't make them for kids in Jr. High, but apparently I was wrong.  One of the books is terrible and I'm returning it (Lumos Learning - Summer Head Start).  The other two look pretty good to me.  Each has the kids doing 2 pages a day.  I intend to give each kid a book and require them to keep up with them.

I also bought some Kumon workbooks labeled as grades 6-8 - pre-algebra and intro to geometry.  I am thinking these will be good for relatively painless review, and I would do some of the work with them.  I also bought a book for grammar called The Dragon Grammar Book.  It seems light but not too babyish.  I will also try to get through several other books I bought last summer (or earlier) and did not get to.

I should look through the old workbooks I have and see if any should be attempted this summer - otherwise I will probably just hand them all down to my nieces.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

DD got into her 2nd choice program, so will be spending 3 weeks taking Cultural anthropology and European history for college credit on a university campus with a group of other teenagers. We have the meeting for "school" (really, a homeschool team that competes in the private schools league) cheer Tues.

I also want her to spend some time preparing for the PSAT over the summer.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

We have a weekend get-together in another state this summer - too far to drive there both days.  Rather than book a motel room, I looked up overnights they might have.  I found an overnight at a science museum that also includes a live "broadway" stage production.  So for that weekend, it will be picnic get-together, theater, science museum, and the next day at the zoo.  Yay, I am pumped, LOL.  I also signed us up for an arctic-themed zoo overnight at another zoo not too far away - because my kid is crazy about polar bears.  Still waiting for info on the third driveable zoo's overnights.

I should update our scouting thoughts.  I decided to give it a try and see what we could complete over the summer.  I signed us up for some things that will meet certain badge requirements while just being good things to do:  CPR/first aid training, self-defense training (bad guy situation), and volunteering at the Special Olympics.  I have other scout-related ambitions which I won't bore you with here.

On the sports side, I mentioned before that they will do horse riding/gymnastics and TKD.  I may have found a trail running activity for Thursday nights.  Still open are summer music lessons and what, if any, Brave Writer we will do in July / August.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, SKL said:

We have a weekend get-together in another state this summer - too far to drive there both days.  Rather than book a motel room, I looked up overnights they might have.  I found an overnight at a science museum that also includes a live "broadway" stage production.  So for that weekend, it will be picnic get-together, theater, science museum, and the next day at the zoo.  Yay, I am pumped, LOL.  I also signed us up for an arctic-themed zoo overnight at another zoo not too far away - because my kid is crazy about polar bears.  Still waiting for info on the third driveable zoo's overnights.

I should update our scouting thoughts.  I decided to give it a try and see what we could complete over the summer.  I signed us up for some things that will meet certain badge requirements while just being good things to do:  CPR/first aid training, self-defense training (bad guy situation), and volunteering at the Special Olympics.  I have other scout-related ambitions which I won't bore you with here.

On the sports side, I mentioned before that they will do horse riding/gymnastics and TKD.  I may have found a trail running activity for Thursday nights.  Still open are summer music lessons and what, if any, Brave Writer we will do in July / August.

Your scout-related ambitions are not boring.!

I am amazed at what you accomplish. Is Brave Writer an online program somewhere? I'm looking to get my son writing practice over the summer.

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

Your scout-related ambitions are not boring.!

I am amazed at what you accomplish. Is Brave Writer an online program somewhere? I'm looking to get my son writing practice over the summer.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Check out bravewriter.com.  I have not used them in the past, but signed my kids up for one of the book clubs in June.  I am waiting for info to come out in late May before I decide the rest.  I wish they would publish their book lists sooner so I could plan ....

My 15 year old will be taking a couple of online courses that she couldn’t fit into her school year schedule: health to meet high school graduation requirements, and Spanish 3 to meet college admissions requirements.

She will keep going with lessons for her three instruments, and may possibly keep teaching her one student.

In July, she will be a camp counselor volunteer for a couple of weeks at a downtown science museum. Then in August, she will volunteer at a local school with a dual language Spanish immersion program. 

Other than a family vacation in July, she wants to swim to drop time for next year’s swim team season, and hang out at the beach with friends. Mid August, marching band camp, then school starts again the following week!

Edited by Mabelen
  • Like 1

On 2/12/2019 at 4:12 AM, chiguirre said:

What a great program! The price is really good considering what it offers. 

Edited by Mabelen

• 3 weeks later...

Well I am tired of waiting for certain plans to solidify, so I am going to update again.

I have one kid signed up for clarinet lessons with a fancy teacher this summer.  Am waiting on calls back re trumpet and piano lessons.  My trumpet player really needs the lessons.

I was looking at other people's posts in the curriculum forum, and got inspired to look at Mr. D Math.  I signed up for one kid to do self-paced pre-algebra online.  Also based on Hive recommendations, I'm going to have my kids do typingclub.com.

I also bought a 3-month subscription to History Unboxed - American History.  I think they are doing American History next year, so I want them to go in with some knowledge.  I also have some DVDs I want them to watch re US history / government.  I also have some study skills materials, including a DVD and some books / workbooks.  We'll see how much gets done.

We are signed up for a second zoo overnight, this one with a school friend.  Also my kids will attend a 2-day church youth retreat at Kalahari.

We are planning at least one campout on some land we co-own, inviting school friends.

We are signed up for a couple of volunteer gigs and hopefully will do more.  Hopefully enough that both girls will earn at least 1 AHG service star over the summer.

I have already started my kids on the AHG Creative Writing badge and am eager to start several others as soon as school is out.  For sure we are doing Family Helper and Creative Writing, plus at least 3 others depending on interest / opportunity.  Also hoping to finish the God and Church program, & plan the event / leadership stuff Kid 1 needs to do for the level award.  Might also push some sports pin work.  Meanwhile I am also looking into a nearby Scouts BSA girl troop.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi, does anyone want to debrief?  Today is my kids' first day of school, so I feel like thinking out loud about how the summer went.

On one hand, I feel like we accomplished a lot.  We were very busy much of the time.  We touched on all of the areas we wanted to, to a greater or lesser degree.  As usual, they did a lot of science, especially biology / zoology and engineering.  We did 5 or 6 "road trips" that included visits to zoos, museums, natural wonders, or camping.  We did all the recreational things and experienced the arts.  We read some good books and watched movies together.  We made pretty good progress on many scout requirements.  We kept up a reasonably healthy level of activity, and the house ... well, it's not worse than it was when school let out.  🙂

On the other hand ... I am bummed about some things we did not finish.  I wanted to do more academic review/prep.  What got done:

• About half [5ish weeks] of their summer bridge books.  (Mostly math & reading, a little vocab/spelling and geography.)
  • Some mental math / basics review using a younger math book.
  • Mostly daily journals.  (But the entries are short.)
  • A 2 week review course at a private school - math, language, and study skills.  I am not sure what all was covered, but I'm sure it was better than nothing.
  • 2 short Brave Writer courses, but they did not fully participate due to time constraints.
  • 2 History Unboxed boxes, minus the projects.  The goal was to get through 3 boxes before school started.
  • Grammar review - using a couple of MCT books I had lying around.  Parts of speech, parts of sentence, phrases, clauses, and a few other things.
  • Spanish - an extremely small amount of review at culture camp & at home.

I wanted to do about twice as much of everything.  But that's how I am, year after year.  I still plan on finishing up some of the goals that will feed into the school year, but I need to let the rest go.  😞

My kids did a lot of thinking about high school plans.  They went from being almost sure they wanted to go to the Lutheran high school, to being mostly sure they want the public school.  I have been 50/50, but I am now also leaning toward the public school.  This will probably be helpful in placing my kids according to their strengths and interests, and I am hoping that may mean less intense review and study for one of them.  Maybe.

So now we embark on our last year at the Lutheran K-8 school.  This will be a special year for them, as upperclassmen.  The school does a variety of special things with the 8th graders, from pairing them with a KG child to mentor, to the 8th grade vs. faculty volleyball game, to the Washington D.C. trip.  In addition, the majority of the kids will be "confirmed" in the spring (Lutheran first communion etc.), and they will of course have a big fuss over graduation.  I hope my kids are able to really enjoy the special parts and not get too buried in the day to day slog.  And I hope they won't get sucked into girl drama either.  🙂  We shall see.

• 2 months later...

DD did fine with the 3 week program, but wants something less intense next summer. It probably doesn’t help that she was dealing with growing knee pain all summer that finally came to a head and forced her to quit cheer in August, because she spent a lot of time this summer working on tumbling skills. 

• 3 months later...

This is just my take on Brave Writer. I love the community. I was a skeptic at first for this language arts curriculum.  But then it became a multipurpose device for my child's homeschooling (summer camp). There was just really something in this tool that set free a writer's inner voice. It helped my child to easily figure out his thoughts and ideas and how he wanted it to be shared with the world.