Menu

Nail polish, makeup, hair etc for uncoordinated girls?

Dmmetler

I have mild CP, and basically just entirely skipped makeup, etc because I didn’t have the motor skills to do it. Now, my own, not terribly coordinated, ASD-like, anxious, hypersensory kid is trying to experiment, and I can’t help her. She’s behind in age-most girls do their experimentation in elementary school, not high school, and she doesn’t want to ask the girls on her cheer team for help, but she likes the way it looks when they do her makeup for her. She finds places like Sephora just too much for her sensory system-I think it’s the scents of so many products in the space, so sending her there for tutorials isn’t an option. 

Any ideas? 

Can she use youtube? That's how my oldest learned how to do her makeup.  I just bought her stuff and she practiced.  Although I will say the first couple of years she got ready for school but looked like she was really going clubbing.  Whoops. 

She is VERY uncoordinated and adhd so she never realizes that foundation gets smeared on the walls and mascara ground into the floor. Hopefully you won't have that issue too:)

• Like 2

On 2/7/2019 at 8:45 AM, dmmetler said:

she doesn’t want to ask the girls on her cheer team for help, but she likes the way it looks when they do her makeup for her. 

Do you have photos after her makeup was done for her? I get sensory overload from Sephora and Ulta Beauty. What I did was pay for a freelance makeup artist (who does mostly bridal) to come to my house with her extensive makeup kit and teach two to three friends and me about makeup. A friend brought her own makeup set along and the makeup artist could give her tips on how to use her existing makeup collection correctly for different occasions. 

ETA:

If you don’t mind color me beautiful, my friends and I had fun attending a session and getting our colors done. Makeup lessons and hair styling lessons were included for us as we signed up for a whole day class.

Edited by Arcadia

I can tell you what I do or would do and you can see what you think.

hair-I go to the top person at the JCPenney salon (because it's really nice here and where lots of women go and they have pay grades and ranks), use that TOP PERSON and let the do what they want. And tell them you want it to be able to be styled a couple ways. Like one is your everyday, do nothing to it style, and the other is your I did something to it style. So my do nothing style is natural waves with layers, use a wide tooth brush (Wet Brush) and done. My styled is blow dry straight, sometimes with a metal roller brush. It's simple enough I can do it and it looks swank with my woo-woo Jennifer Anniston cut, haha. But that's what I would do, just let the teach her. The stylist there taught my dd. Honestly, I take my ds there too. They taught him to use a spray for taming and to use a brush. It's a good way to learn.

make-up--It's nice that she wants to try it, because it's a normal developmental thing to do. I later ditched it entirely. I think make-up is going out of vague to some degree and would ask that top stylist at the salon for a recommendation on who to teach her. I think at our salon they will do it. I would have two looks, one an everyday simple (clear mascara, lip gloss) and a more special (eye shadow, etc.). I had my dd start with clear mascara around that age. It gives them a bit of pizzazz with running or being a mess.

nails-I used to do them when I was in high school and they're a cheap pleasure. She can probably learn from her peers pretty easily and experiment.

If she's going to play with make-up, she needs make-up removal wipes she can tolerate. 

Edited by PeterPan