Menu

If you've set up a website for a business, could I pick your brain?

Laurie4b

I need to set up a website for a health coaching business I need to get off the ground and I know there are places I can use like Wordpress or Wix that have templates that will make the process easier. I was wondering what other people's experience has been. Here's what I want to do with the site: 

I want to provide free information about a variety of health-related issues in separate categories like exercise, sleep, eating, etc. and would like people to be able to click on a topic that interests them and browse the posts. I don't want a comment section because I don't want to be moderating it. 

In addition to the free info, I want a separate 'button" or something that gives a way for people to contact me if they are interested in having a health coach for motivational support during the process of change. 

I would need to be able to post photos, but also may want to do videos down the road. 

If you've done something with similar requirements, could you let me know what you liked or disliked about any online site that you used? Thanks so much 

I suggest that you go with WordPress.    It is worth spending the time to learn how to use it. I suggest that you pay for a Shared web hosting account (very inexpensive) and that you have your own .com domain name. That gives you 100% control. ALWAYS keep backups, on your local machine and in the Cloud (DropBox or Box, etc.)   Our domain names are registered with Name.com but you can also use GoDaddy or other domain registrars.

• Like 1

I went with WordPress and used the Cheer Up theme.

Google "tutorials for WordPress and the Cheer Up theme." I'd bought the story that creating a blog or website is easy.

It's not easy. It's a challenge, but you can do it. Trust me, if I could do it: you can do it. It took me time, but dh -- darn him -- didn't rush in to save me.

Give yourself time to watch the tutorials. Give yourself time to learn. Because I'd bought the "it's easy" line, I was mad at myself for not grasping how to do it sooner.

Don't be mad at yourself: it'll take time, but it's worth it to know the scoop.

PM me if you need more info.

Alley

• Like 2

Thanks for all the input! It was much more and faster than I expected!

This probably isn't a good sign for my tech skills (I do have my own team because everyone else in the house is quite competent) but I can't see anyone's signatures for some reason, so Amanda, I couldn't check your site out. I tried clicking on your name, but didn't see the signature on that page either. 

If anyone can direct me to what setting I would need to use to see signatures (I used to be able to!) I would appreciate it!

• Like 1

Laurie - here you go. Lifemap Counseling - we've had a slight issue with too many cooks in the kitchen in there recently, so as soon as I have some time, I need to clean a few things up in there, but you can get a general idea. Also, everyone has been incredibly lazy and not given me any blog posts recently, so the blog is super outdated. 

• Like 2

squarespace is easy, like as in super easy.  It's decently customizable and imo the themes are largely pretty neutral, although many of them are photography-heavy so you'd need to either be a decent photographer or be willing to find and use a lot of public domain photos (no just pulling something random off google, for instance)

anyway, I really like squarespace

• Like 1

If you are a complete newbie to building a site  try something like squarespace. I love WordPress but I think it's too easy for people that are new to it to get bogged down in the technical side of it and also just how much you can do. 

I also suggest you plan on paper before you start building. Figure out what pages your site needs to include and think about the information that people visiting your site need and why they would be visiting your site. Write the text you want on each page and edit it down as much as possible. Gather photos too. I've noticed it's really normal for people to want to  dump every tiny piece of information they can think up that relates the the subject on a web page when it needs to be the most streamlined writing possible. 

Once you've figured out the content you need to include you can get to building. Most of the site builders have templates that you can choose from as a starting point for the layout and they can usually be switched independent of the content until you find something you like.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1