Menu

What’s the right balance with exercise?

sassenach

I got a Y membership about a month ago and I’ve been trying out a variety of classes. Some are more cardio based, some are weight training, and some are stretch/balance, though of course there is cross over. 

What’s the best ratio if I’m going 4 days a week? Is weight training pointless if I’m only going once a week?

I think 2x a week is critical for weight lifting. New research is showing weight lifting is better for the heart than cardio! I was able to change my bone density by taking a weight lifting class 3x a week. One stretch type class a week is fabulous too. Have fun trying classes!

• Like 2

I would do two days of lifting, two days of stretching and do the cardio at home. If you have the space, you could find a treadmill, elliptical, Nordic Track ski machine, or a recumbent bike on Craig’s list. Walking also is a good option.

• Like 1

I wouldn't just into 4x per week right away if you haven't been doing much lately. Start at twice a week, then 3x per week and try a variety of different classes to see what you like and what instructors you enjoy. The best exercise is the stuff you do regularly over a long period of time. 

Hope you have fun exploring all the options!

• Like 1

Weight training is very important for women, especially as we age. It helps to strengthen your bones. Don't neglect it entirely! But bear in mind that most classes are going to include some kind of weight component, even if it's just body weight (think squats, push-ups, burpees). So "weight training" doesn't have to mean going into the wellness center and lifting weights.

Above all, listen to your body. If you are very sore after a class, give yourself a day or two of rest. I generally find that I am more sore two days after a strenuous workout than the day immediately following. I'd also highly recommend a yoga class at least once a week or every two weeks. The strength you will gain there, as well as the ability to listen to your body, will be invaluable in your other workouts.

• Like 1