Menu

What's with the ads?

Baseball mom

December Frugalistas

19 hours ago, Michelle Conde said:

Well, I just finished wrapping up going over my budget from this year.  Besides my surprise surgery last week, dh slid off the road and busted two tires (thankfully he was not injured!) but that made him worry about us on snowy roads, so he unilaterally decided to get full new sets of tires for both cars.  I think mine could have made due for a while longer, but I can’t be unhappy with him for it.  And my car’s battery went out and had to be replaced.  Also, the electric scooters I got secondhand weren’t running properly.  I am pretty handy and will probably be able to fix them, but as I have been incapacitated the past few weeks, that did not happen before Christmas, so dh went out and bought some things for the kids.  So that was extra expense, but I guess we already have the main birthday gift for the three older kids for next year.

All told, I was pleasantly surprised that we were able to just cover everything without carrying a credit card balance (except the surgery bill which has not come yet).   Hopefully we will be able to pay that off fairly quickly in the new year and get back to trying to save up a down payment for a house.

Yes, great to make it through without debts! Tires add up and everything else. 

Well nuts.  We spent 96 taking the dog to the vet yesterday because she is swollen up where she pees.  Today she is bleeding from there.  Not sure if it is because she was liking it more or what.   She is going back in today.   I am sure it will be another $100. 

• Sad 2

Normally my in-laws don’t do gift cards but I got gift cards from sil’s family & mil/fil. I went on a shopping spree at Kohl’s yesterday. I really needed some new bottoms. I was able to use up Kohl’s store credit (had to return some stuff like dh’s big & tall dress shirts that were not long enough), Kohl’s cash, Kohl’s gift card and only paid a small amount on my personal debit card. I tried everything on so I know it fits. I got jeans, workout pants, and a pair of capris. 

I’ve redeemed a lot of Shopkick credit lately. Every time I went into a store I scanned items. 

I did use more money by driving a separate car but it was worth it for my mental health.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Normally my in-laws don’t do gift cards but I got gift cards from sil’s family & mil/fil. I went on a shopping spree at Kohl’s yesterday. I really needed some new bottoms. I was able to use up Kohl’s store credit (had to return some stuff like dh’s big & tall dress shirts that were not long enough), Kohl’s cash, Kohl’s gift card and only paid a small amount on my personal debit card. I tried everything on so I know it fits. I got jeans, workout pants, and a pair of capris. 

I’ve redeemed a lot of Shopkick credit lately. Every time I went into a store I scanned items. 

I did use more money by driving a separate car but it was worth it for my mental health.

Yay for getting giftcards and spending them on yourself.  We don't do that enough and you deserve it.  

• Like 2

Is everyone ready for January?

We'll be kicking off with our annual no-spend month.  I figure between all the holiday stuff and extras, January is always a nice chance to rein it back in.  I went through our budget and we should be able to put aside a nice amount if all works out.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

We'll be kicking off with our annual no-spend month.  I figure between all the holiday stuff and extras, January is always a nice chance to rein it back in.  I went through our budget and we should be able to put aside a nice amount if all works out.

Not at all.  I love this time of year normally.  I get all jazzed up with things I want to do.  Make goals, but I am really sick so I am going to start this next year late.  I do know we won't be spending less money.  Ballet is crazy expensive.  All my kids are moving up a level and the oldest is going on pointe.  I thought I had another year or so before that. 

The dog went to the vet again today, we went yesterday too.  So $200 on the dog this weekend.  Argh.  Poor girl though.  Hopefully her recovery is quick. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

I am mostly ready for January.  The only thing stopping me from being completely ready is talking to dh about January being a no-spend month.  I told him before Christmas but we've gotta sit down and make a plan for how to accomplish that since our anniversary is the 15th and 2 of our kids have birthdays.  The only spending that will happen is grocery, gas, and bills.  Any gifts/entertainment will come from gift cards. We actually have a good amount of gift cards from Christmas so we should be able to celebrate nicely without anything coming out of our pocket.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Not at all.  I love this time of year normally.  I get all jazzed up with things I want to do.  Make goals, but I am really sick so I am going to start this next year late.  I do know we won't be spending less money.  Ballet is crazy expensive.  All my kids are moving up a level and the oldest is going on pointe.  I thought I had another year or so before that. 

The dog went to the vet again today, we went yesterday too.  So $200 on the dog this weekend.  Argh.  Poor girl though.  Hopefully her recovery is quick. 

Hope you and the pup recover quickly.

• Like 1

First year ever we’ve ended the year with credit card debt. 😕 that’s because of the $1200 car repair. DH says his bonus will pay for it, but this is the first year end he’s worked for this employer, so we have no idea what to expect. I pray he’s right. 

• Sad 3

18 hours ago, SamanthaCarter said:

First year ever we’ve ended the year with credit card debt. 😕 that’s because of the $1200 car repair. DH says his bonus will pay for it, but this is the first year end he’s worked for this employer, so we have no idea what to expect. I pray he’s right. 

Hugs.  That really stinks.   Sending some good luck to your dh.  I hope he gets a great bonus. 

• Like 1

I'm requesting a no spend month too but DH might need some little parts for the car. I might give myself $100 for some fresh veggies and milk and that's it for groceries.

Mainly, I'm behind on putting all my receipts into my money tracking software (and there is A LOT with home repairs and Christmas and DH rebuilding a car for us so we can have a third) , and needing to redo the budget. I need to figure out where all the chips are laying. Being away from the computer when we had to leave home just put me sooooo far behind. I'd like to put off school an extra week to get things under control but sadly too that went completely downhill too when we were separated and moving around so a no spend month while we eat up everything we have and get on a decent school schedule sounds easiest.  

Then it will be easier to reorganize my cupboards. I'm afraid when we cleaned up after the quake we didn't reorganize food but focused on liquids, glass, bottles with seals broken. My library so far has all books unopened off spines etc. But the history is no longer chronological or fiction alphabetical by author's last name etc. I just need to find the books we will need for the next couple months and put them on their own little shelf and then do things bit by bit while keeping up on school.

• Like 2

Except I need a new drum for my ancient printer and the drum is half of the cost of a new printer. Agh! It's hard to homeschool with no printer.

• Like 1

Man this month I fell off the frugal wagon and got run over by it.  Gotta get back on that wagon.

My mom gave me money for Christmas.  She wants me to buy something I want/need that I normally wouldn't buy and not just use it for bills and groceries 

• Like 2

Dh SOLD his truck!!!!!!!! Yahoo and titled to new guy before new year so it won't be on our taxes for next year. That money went straight to dh's mom for the "new" old truck.  Now, we have $3500 left to give her, no taxes as his name was already on the title (long story short) it will cost us $24 to get that switched over.

Yesterday dh was driving in his old- 94 Civic- and the moon roof literally flew out of the car while he was going down the road. We've made the decision to go ahead and get rid of it. It's not worth it anymore to keep, it still runs but maintenance and little repairs aren't worth it on a car worth so little when it doesn't have air, not counting the taxes and insurance on it- granted is not much but we were mostly keeping it for ds to drive. He's going to put the moon roof back in (miraculously found) and sell it as is, looks like we might be able to get $1k out of it, we'll see, main goal is to get enough to do some maintenance for the 'new' truck- replace hoses and such, which will just be a couple hundred and put the rest in savings. Hopefully he can get it for sale by this weekend, he just doesn't have the time to mess with it, especially not going to college. 

Bunk bed is supposedly sold and doing deal on Thursday.

We've spent more than I'd like lately but there are some victories too, so I'm going to focus on that and fingers crossed 2019 is a good one.

• Like 3

Going through the house and squirreling away things for a spring yard sale as we find them. There’s really not a whole lot to get rid of, either worth selling or not. If I don’t end up with enough for a yard sale people will stop at, I might try to find a friend that will set up shop with me. 

As far as a no spend January, I think we’ll be doing that without trying, unless we see a really good sale on wire shelving units to replace the nasty wood ones in the basement.

Oh and I’ll be spending some on supplies for a project to make a former kitchen/laundry area upstairs into a more useable room (junky cabinets are out already.) This house used to be a tiny upstairs/downstairs duplex. Skim coat and paint. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Baseball mom said:

Man this month I fell off the frugal wagon and got run over by it.  Gotta get back on that wagon.

My mom gave me money for Christmas.  She wants me to buy something I want/need that I normally wouldn't buy and not just use it for bills and groceries 

On to 2019!  Clean slate. 

I hope you spend the the money on yourself and get something nice. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soror said:

Dh SOLD his truck!!!!!!!! Yahoo and titled to new guy before new year so it won't be on our taxes for next year. That money went straight to dh's mom for the "new" old truck.  Now, we have $3500 left to give her, no taxes as his name was already on the title (long story short) it will cost us $24 to get that switched over.

Yesterday dh was driving in his old- 94 Civic- and the moon roof literally flew out of the car while he was going down the road. We've made the decision to go ahead and get rid of it. It's not worth it anymore to keep, it still runs but maintenance and little repairs aren't worth it on a car worth so little when it doesn't have air, not counting the taxes and insurance on it- granted is not much but we were mostly keeping it for ds to drive. He's going to put the moon roof back in (miraculously found) and sell it as is, looks like we might be able to get $1k out of it, we'll see, main goal is to get enough to do some maintenance for the 'new' truck- replace hoses and such, which will just be a couple hundred and put the rest in savings. Hopefully he can get it for sale by this weekend, he just doesn't have the time to mess with it, especially not going to college. 

Bunk bed is supposedly sold and doing deal on Thursday.

We've spent more than I'd like lately but there are some victories too, so I'm going to focus on that and fingers crossed 2019 is a good one.

Yay for sell the truck.  Good vibes for selling the car fast. 

I hope 2019 is great for you. 

• Like 1