Menu

Is Foersters Algebra II textbook like Algebra I?

Do you need it to match Common Core?  

Common Core shifts some things around compared to what I would call traditional math.  

About half of what I would call traditional Algebra I is shifted into 8th grade plus a lot of Statistics I am unfamiliar with.  

Then from there on, it looks like math classes are shifted by about a semester (to be about a semester more advanced) than what I did when I was in high school.  

My oldest is in 8th grade and I look at the topic lists by grade on Khan Academy.  There is a separate list for the state we live on right now (Engage NY) but as far as I know it’s the same as Common Core.  

Do you mean detailed solutions? Smith Algebra (Memoria Press sells the text/ videos/ tests) has a pretty good solutions manual (I bought mine separately), is very traditional in scope and less intense than Dolciani.

Larson's "Algebra Within Reach" has solutions you can see online: http://www.algebrawithinreach.com/ia6e/content/solutions-soluciones/

The layout of the Larson books is a little different: https://www.amazon.com/Intermediate-Algebra-Within-Reach-6th/dp/1285087410/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1543580854&sr=8-1&keywords=algebra+within+reach#reader_1285087410

It’s been a couple of years but it seemed to me that the algebra 2 book had many fewer word problems than the first book. I did not like the algebra 2 book quite as much though it is certainly solid. 

I too remember the solutions as hit or miss. You could go with the Math Without Borders materials. We used the algebra 2 right before he updated it, and it was just so-so for my student. 

• Thanks 1

I've only used Foerster's Alg 2 book. The word problems seemed grouped together - perhaps in their own section each chapter?? I can't remember exactly. I didn't have any issues with the SM, but I can pretty much handle all the problems in the book myself anyway. The SM was just a quick way to check the answers.