Menu

Venturing into Leggings for the first time....

vmsurbat1

What, exactly, is the difference between leggings and old-fashioned tights?   I want these for dancing practice so not expensive but with good movability.  Any suggestions?  Does Wal-Mart or Amazon or Target carry this stuff for a short (5'2"), middle-aged, slightly overweight lady? Are they sized like pants or panty hose?

Note: Expat Living overseas (hence my ignorance) who will be in the States for just 8 days--I need to get on this ASAP. 

TIA, O legging experts!

• Like 1

Leggings don't have feet.  If you need something to go into your dance shoe,  leggings will require you to have some sort of sock.

You can get them in various lengths -- eg, crops or ankle length.

I'm 5'3 and dumpy.  I purchase at Walmart.  The biggest factor for me is whether they will tend to creep down your hips and butt when you're active.  I don't wear them that much -- just yoga --so no clue if they hold up well.

Dd needs leggings that will hold up to heavy use (daily), and purchases at Athleta. 

Target vary per pair -- one pair of size medium might fit, and the next a disaster.  Also, they get holes quickly if you're wearing/washing often.

Edited by GailV
  • Like 1

Have you seen convertible tights? They are made for dancing, but have a hole in the bottom of the foot so they can be stretched right up over and then snugged around your leg. May be totally wrong for what you need, but I right I would put that out there.

Edited by SusanC
Irksome, nonsensical word choice
  • Like 2

Thank you, @lulalu, @GailV, @SusanC!  I had never heard of convertible tights--that started me down a rabbit trail.....  Turns out I don't need them, but one thing led to another and I discovered that No Nonsense makes leggings.  Since I've had good success with their pantyhose (for the price), I went with them--Black Friday Sale and all!  40% off + Free Shipping!

Now to get a top or two.... 😉

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Patty Joanna said:

I am relatively not-fat, but for one reason and another, purchased control-top tights for the first time and OH MY are they so much better than regular.  The band doesn't dig in, and they stay UP.  Also, if you live where it is cold, check out the fleece-lined leggings.  I just found out about these a couple of years ago and now I don't freeze when I wear a dress.  

Can you share a brand or, even better, a link to the tights and especially the fleece-line leggings?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Patty Joanna said:

I am relatively not-fat, but for one reason and another, purchased control-top tights for the first time and OH MY are they so much better than regular.  The band doesn't dig in, and they stay UP.  Also, if you live where it is cold, check out the fleece-lined leggings.  I just found out about these a couple of years ago and now I don't freeze when I wear a dress.  

Agreed! About fleece-lined! I am a “tends toward cold” person and fleece leggings are a huge help. I can even wear them under my roomier jeans to help ward off the cold if I will be outside. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kassia said:

Can you share a brand or, even better, a link to the tights and especially the fleece-line leggings?

I have a pair of Fila and Adidas fleece lined leggings - they are sporty, so cannot wear with dresses. They are warm and were very cheap at Kohl's.

• Like 2

I get leggings from JC Penney.  I think they are actually in the Juniors department, but they are sized pretty generously.  I only wear leggings around the house and to sleep in, but mine have held up fine.  After about a year they developed a hole in the inside seam, but I figured that was fair since I only paid about $10 for them and I don't baby them at all.  

Whatever brand you get, try them on and then check the view when you bend over.  Some leggings are very see through and you don't realize it until you start bending and moving in them.   

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

Whatever brand you get, try them on and then check the view when you bend over.  Some leggings are very see through and you don't realize it until you start bending and moving in them.   

OH MY! Thanks for the tip!  Will do! I'm gagging thinking about the spectacle I'd make of myself! 😏

• Like 1