Menu

It's that time of the year when I somehow get it in my head to...

unsinkable

Scare myself silly.

I've never seen the Conjuring. How bad is it? I want to see it bc someone whose opinion I respect says it is a great horror movie, on his must see horror list.

My fright level: If you've seen the movie "It Follows"...

I saw it in the movie theater and I hid under my coat and texted my DH to tell him goodbye in case I had a heart attack. 

Sooo...with that being said...should I watch the Conjuring? Or is it on the same heart attack inducing level of It Follows?

UPDATE: I watched it. See post below!

Thanks for all the advice!

Edited by unsinkable
Updated
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I haven't seen that one. Normally I steer clear of horror in movies, TV and books but lately I have been watching The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix. Mostly I started because of who the actors are but the story line has kept my attention. Luckily none of the scary parts have transferred over into my dreams, which is the biggest reason I don't watch horror, so I guess I'll keep going and see how it ends. 

Good luck on your scary watching!

• Like 1

I haven't seen It Follows so I don't know how to compare  them but I watched The Conjuring recently and yeah, it's scary. There's a lot of jump scares and tension that is fun but frightening, ymmv. The last 30 minutes or so weren't so scary for me because ...kind of a spoiler! If you want to see why, just highlight the area in between here...

they seemed to throw every scary exorcism trope into the movie at that point and it just got to be over the top and the demonic character didn't even seem like it had a reason for being evil, kwim?

and here.  end of spoiler ?top. 

My older teens watched with me and they weren't bothered. Maybe I'm just a baby, haha. Have you tried reading through the Imdb parent's guide for it? That might help you decide. ? 

Edited by Mothersweets
  • Like 1

So we just got back from watching the new Halloween.  Thought of you...

I think we all go through "it's October, I should be doing this" phase.  If you don't like horror, maybe some mystery/suspense?  Lifetime has a lot of mystery this time of year, not too overtly scary.  

How about the movies Laura and Rebecca?  Two very good mysteries, black and white films, no jumps, just good old fashioned story telling.  If I think of others, I'll post.  

• Like 1

Update:

I watched it earlier this week...in broad daylight...with the Head of Homeland Security (see avatar) nearby.

It was scary but it is hard to compare to watching in a theatre, where you are (kinda) trapped in the dark with no breaks. At home, I could stop the movie, take a break that cuts the tension, etc. Plus I had the pupper. LOL

I am not sure if I "liked" it, even as a horror movie. I don't like the mother/mothering themes and I hate demonology stuff. It makes me super uncomfortable.

But I feel like I accomplished something, strangely enough!

On 10/21/2018 at 4:20 PM, stephanier.1765 said:

I haven't seen that one. Normally I steer clear of horror in movies, TV and books but lately I have been watching The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix. Mostly I started because of who the actors are but the story line has kept my attention. Luckily none of the scary parts have transferred over into my dreams, which is the biggest reason I don't watch horror, so I guess I'll keep going and see how it ends. 

Good luck on your scary watching!

I started this, to work my way up to the Conjuring. 

I saw 1st episode...I'm not sure I want to continue. LMK if you finish and if it is worth it.

On 10/21/2018 at 6:05 PM, Mothersweets said:

I haven't seen It Follows so I don't know how to compare  them but I watched The Conjuring recently and yeah, it's scary. There's a lot of jump scares and tension that is fun but frightening, ymmv. The last 30 minutes or so weren't so scary for me because ...kind of a spoiler! If you want to see why, just highlight the area in between here...

they seemed to throw every scary exorcism trope into the movie at that point and it just got to be over the top and the demonic character didn't even seem like it had a reason for being evil, kwim?

and here.  end of spoiler ?top. 

My older teens watched with me and they weren't bothered. Maybe I'm just a baby, haha. Have you tried reading through the Imdb parent's guide for it? That might help you decide. ? 

Thank you! now that I finsihed, I read your spoiler and I agree!

• Like 1

On 10/21/2018 at 10:08 PM, readinmom said:

So we just got back from watching the new Halloween.  Thought of you...

I think we all go through "it's October, I should be doing this" phase.  If you don't like horror, maybe some mystery/suspense?  Lifetime has a lot of mystery this time of year, not too overtly scary.  

How about the movies Laura and Rebecca?  Two very good mysteries, black and white films, no jumps, just good old fashioned story telling.  If I think of others, I'll post.  

I like horror, but I dont. It is hard to explain. My favorite genre would be action movies, especially "caper" movies but I will watch most genres of the movie is good.

Thanks for the recommendations! I haven't seen those.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2018 at 3:04 PM, Chris in VA said:

I am hard to scare, and I thought The Conjuring was pretty good. Skip the sequel, btw--not scary and kinda dumb. 

I'll have to look to see if It Follows is available on my computer here! 

It Follows was very good but...yeesh, my heart!