Menu

some general Android phone questions

kfeusse

I am looking at getting our daughter a new cell phone before going off to college next fall.  I was wondering if anybody could give me some recommendations on android phones with the following features:

a great camera

a way for us to track her phone while she is on the road or someplace

good amount of internal storage for apps 64GB maybe. 

there might be other features to consider, but this is where I want to start. 

thanks. 

We always buy Motorola phones. They have an almost "pure" version of the Android OS (Operating System) and are usually "a lot of bang for the buck".  The phone I got, 2 weeks ago, is a very low end model (Motorola Moto C Plus) which is not sold by Motorola in the USA. We live in Colombia. It is sold here and in Germany and in the UK and probably in other countries in Europe and the "3rd world".  The other phones in the house are mid price range phones. A week or 2 ago, my wife was looking at photos she took when we were in Walt Disney World.  DD and I were in a Coaster and coming down, and from that distance, I was amazed at the detail  of the camera in her 3rd generation Motorola Moto G phone. It was easy for her to zoom in and it was very obvious that it was DD and me.

We had 2 Mid price phones damaged or destroyed in September, before my 4 year old Samsung ran down the original battery and then couldn't be resuscitated. One phone was dropped and bad damage to the Display. And then my wife plugged something into her phone and it wasn't correct, so now it has some issues.

So, I thought, I will buy the least expensive Motorola they have in the superstore where we buy phones.  I ended up not going and my wife called me and she was with the Motorola person and asked me which one I wanted.  I told her, "I would be very happy with the least expensive Motorola, the Motorola Moto C, but I would be happier with the Motorola Moto C Plus..  What did I get for the extra $30 USD she spent (prices here include 19% VAT tax).  I got a battery that is huge (4000 mAh), a better Display, a different processor, etc. 

I believe the most bang for the buck is always with the least expensive models, in any brand. I also believe that phones, cars, and other things, are more reliable and less prone to failure, the fewer features they have. 

My phone has this, so I suspect that just about any Motorola Moto phone (or Lenovo phone, Lenovo owns Motorola Mobility) will have this:    You can install a Micro SD Memory and you can then Format it, either where it can be used externally, in another device, or, to extend the normal RAM (or is it ROM?).  I chose the later and it is encrypted and can only be used in my phone. In my case, I had the 16 GB Micro SD that I had used in my 4 year old Samsung until it died, and I am using that. So, in my Moto C Plus, it extended the Internal Memory, from 16 GB to about 30 GB.   It is showing 7.95 of 30.69 GB used at this moment.  It is showing 45 Apps installed at this time. Many were installed by Motorola (Lenovo) and I probably installed approximately 15 Apps.  Not sure how many Apps I installed....

Note: My wife has a theory that if one is installing a Micro SD card into a phone and they say the maximum capacity of a Micro SD card it can handle is "X"  that instead one use a maximum of ".5X".  I think that she read that some years ago. EG: If it says the maximum capacity of a Micro SD card is 64 GB, buy one that is 32 GB.  I am not sure if her theory is correct or not...

If you buy a Motorola phone, I would suggest buying directly from the Motorola USA web site. Motorola.com  That way you will get a phone that is Unbranded to a carrier, Unlocked, and that has a manufacturers guarantee.

We have a neighbor, an Electronic Engineer for a Provider here. He told me several years ago that he believes the Motorola and Samsung phones connect best to their towers and  have a lot of bang for the buck.  He buys Motorola or Samsung phones. His current phone is a Motorola.

Samsung adds stuff (Apps, etc.) to their phones and modifies the Menus, so they are a little  harder to use, but after using one for 2.5 years, it seemed "normal" to me.

My phone has Android 7.0.  I would suggest that you get Android 7.0 or a later version of Android, because a phone with an older version of Android is an older phone and the battery will be older and it will not have the latest and greatest hardware.

There are probably plenty of Apps that you can Track her with.  I have the "Find my Device" App installed, in case my phone is lost or stolen. For Tracking her, you would need to install a different App. There are probably plenty of Free Apps on Play.Google.com that will do the job for her. 

The main reason I preferred this model was because it has a big (4000 mAh) battery.  The better Display and the other features are also nice.

OH....    It has a REMOVABLE battery.  That is IMO a huge plus. Many phones require the phone be disassembled, to get at the Battery. That's a PITA.

Some of the current Motorola Moto phones, like mine, have REMOVABLE batteries. Others, I think like the Motorola Moto G series phones my wife and DD and DIL have, have batteries that are NOT easily replaced.

It is becoming harder, to buy phones with REMOVABLE batteries...

• Like 2

Follow-on: If WiFi is important to your DD.  My very low end Motorola phone only has the basic 2.4 frequency. Our HGU has 2 frequencies for Wi-Fi and I believe the Motorola Moto G (version 4 or 5) that DD has can use both WiFi frequencies.

We have 50 Mbps FTTH (Fiber to the House) Internet service. On my low end Moto C Plus, on the 2.4 frequency, when I do a test on Speedtest.net I usually see average speeds of about 40 to 43 Mbps.  A day or 2 ago, I saw momentary speeds of up to 49 Mbps.

My old Samsung used a Micro SIM and my new Moto C Plus uses a Nano SIM.  DD printed out a Template from the Internet and she did the surgery and now my SIM is a Nano SIM...   I have had the phone for almost 14 full days and am very happy with it. One can buy a phone with a better camera (I rarely use the camera, but for many people the camera is extremely important), and more RAM and a faster processor, but this model will do what I need to do quite well.

Edited by Lanny
add "average"

The Nokia 6.1 doesn’t have a good camera but do have the latest android operating system. If your daughter has smaller hands, I would suggest going somewhere like Best Buy to try all the android phones there for the comfort level when surfing and taking photos. I find a width of 2.64 inches is already maxing out on my comfort level. My husband’s iPhone 7 Plus that I am using, as my phone is spoilt, is causing me palm and wrist strain.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Arcadia said:

The Nokia 6.1 doesn’t have a good camera but do have the latest android operating system. If your daughter has smaller hands, I would suggest going somewhere like Best Buy to try all the android phones there for the comfort level when surfing and taking photos. I find a width of 2.64 inches is already maxing out on my comfort level. My husband’s iPhone 7 Plus that I am using, as my phone is spoilt, is causing me palm and wrist strain.

Physical size of the phone is extremely important.  A woman can put the phone into her purse, but she still needs to be able to hold it in her hand, to talk.  My old Samsung phone that died had a 4.5" display.  I always put my phone into the right front pocket of my pants, with my wallet.  It had a 2000 mAh battery.  My wife has a phone with a 5" display.  My new phone has a 5" display and is about the same size as hers. I think hers is a little thicker because she has a protector on the back of it.   DD has a phone with a 5.5" display.  I think I would be uncomfortable holding that, for more than a few minutes, to talk, and it may be too big to put into my pants pocket. 

On the other hand, these  phones are so big, that they are almost "Phablets".  I am not sure what size displays "Phablets" have now, or if they even sell phones called "Phablets" now.  Much of what I do with a SMART phone is NOT using it to make voice calls, especially calls going via our provider.  We use WhatsApp a lot, for calling and for messaging, and I have the "MagicApp", with our magicJack phone number on my phone and I use it to do different things that have nothing to do with making regular voice calls or sending SMS messages as I did when I had "dumb" phones..

The Display on my new (14 days old this afternoon) Motorola C Plus is better than the least expensive model, the Motorola C.  In addition to the detail, it is MUCH brighter. That can be a huge advantage, if one is outside, in bright sunlight and is trying to see the display.

My wife went with my Stepson 2 weeks ago when he had LASIK surgery and on the way home they stopped in the superstore where we buy phones that are Unbranded and Unlocked and have a manufacturers warranty here in Colombia.  I think it is much easier, if one does some research, before going into the store, about the features that are important to them, and if so, that makes it easier to make a decision. In our case, she went directly to the Motorola person and I had narrowed it down to one of the 2 least expensive models, from reading the Specs of both models on the Motorola web site.  

Would a phone with more RAM or a better display be nice? Yes, but after having 2 Mid range phones damaged or destroyed last month, I didn't want to go that way and for me, the Camera is something I very rarely use, so paying more money for a better camera wasn't in the cards.  Motorola has one or more current models that have 5000 mAh batteries (I think removable) which is awesome if one is a heavy user and on the phone all day. My phone has a 4000 mAh battery, which is twice the capacity of the battery in my old Samsung that died.

If we had not moved from Samsung to Motorola we would go with Samsung phones. They are more expensive for what you get, but in our experience, they are very good. We have a lot of respect for my old Samsung phone, which was the last Samsung phone in our house and our neighbor the Electronic Engineer for a cell provider here, occasionally will buy a Samsung, although mostly he buys Motorolas. 

I love my Huawei P10. Would definitely recommend it. It has 64GB storage. The camera is extremely good.  They do some lite versions too that are cheaper and worth looking into. It's decently high spec without being too ridiculous price wise. Not found any feature missing yet. The battery life is decent too. Finding cases can be challenging but that the only negative I've found in the 10 months I've had it.

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:51 PM, Lanny said:

We always buy Motorola phones. They have an almost "pure" version of the Android OS (Operating System) and are usually "a lot of bang for the buck".  The phone I got, 2 weeks ago, is a very low end model (Motorola Moto C Plus) which is not sold by Motorola in the USA. We live in Colombia. It is sold here and in Germany and in the UK and probably in other countries in Europe and the "3rd world".  The other phones in the house are mid price range phones. A week or 2 ago, my wife was looking at photos she took when we were in Walt Disney World.  DD and I were in a Coaster and coming down, and from that distance, I was amazed at the detail  of the camera in her 3rd generation Motorola Moto G phone. It was easy for her to zoom in and it was very obvious that it was DD and me.

We had 2 Mid price phones damaged or destroyed in September, before my 4 year old Samsung ran down the original battery and then couldn't be resuscitated. One phone was dropped and bad damage to the Display. And then my wife plugged something into her phone and it wasn't correct, so now it has some issues.

So, I thought, I will buy the least expensive Motorola they have in the superstore where we buy phones.  I ended up not going and my wife called me and she was with the Motorola person and asked me which one I wanted.  I told her, "I would be very happy with the least expensive Motorola, the Motorola Moto C, but I would be happier with the Motorola Moto C Plus..  What did I get for the extra $30 USD she spent (prices here include 19% VAT tax).  I got a battery that is huge (4000 mAh), a better Display, a different processor, etc. 

I believe the most bang for the buck is always with the least expensive models, in any brand. I also believe that phones, cars, and other things, are more reliable and less prone to failure, the fewer features they have. 

My phone has this, so I suspect that just about any Motorola Moto phone (or Lenovo phone, Lenovo owns Motorola Mobility) will have this:    You can install a Micro SD Memory and you can then Format it, either where it can be used externally, in another device, or, to extend the normal RAM (or is it ROM?).  I chose the later and it is encrypted and can only be used in my phone. In my case, I had the 16 GB Micro SD that I had used in my 4 year old Samsung until it died, and I am using that. So, in my Moto C Plus, it extended the Internal Memory, from 16 GB to about 30 GB.   It is showing 7.95 of 30.69 GB used at this moment.  It is showing 45 Apps installed at this time. Many were installed by Motorola (Lenovo) and I probably installed approximately 15 Apps.  Not sure how many Apps I installed....

Note: My wife has a theory that if one is installing a Micro SD card into a phone and they say the maximum capacity of a Micro SD card it can handle is "X"  that instead one use a maximum of ".5X".  I think that she read that some years ago. EG: If it says the maximum capacity of a Micro SD card is 64 GB, buy one that is 32 GB.  I am not sure if her theory is correct or not...

If you buy a Motorola phone, I would suggest buying directly from the Motorola USA web site. Motorola.com  That way you will get a phone that is Unbranded to a carrier, Unlocked, and that has a manufacturers guarantee.

We have a neighbor, an Electronic Engineer for a Provider here. He told me several years ago that he believes the Motorola and Samsung phones connect best to their towers and  have a lot of bang for the buck.  He buys Motorola or Samsung phones. His current phone is a Motorola.

Samsung adds stuff (Apps, etc.) to their phones and modifies the Menus, so they are a little  harder to use, but after using one for 2.5 years, it seemed "normal" to me.

My phone has Android 7.0.  I would suggest that you get Android 7.0 or a later version of Android, because a phone with an older version of Android is an older phone and the battery will be older and it will not have the latest and greatest hardware.

There are probably plenty of Apps that you can Track her with.  I have the "Find my Device" App installed, in case my phone is lost or stolen. For Tracking her, you would need to install a different App. There are probably plenty of Free Apps on Play.Google.com that will do the job for her. 

The main reason I preferred this model was because it has a big (4000 mAh) battery.  The better Display and the other features are also nice.

OH....    It has a REMOVABLE battery.  That is IMO a huge plus. Many phones require the phone be disassembled, to get at the Battery. That's a PITA.

Some of the current Motorola Moto phones, like mine, have REMOVABLE batteries. Others, I think like the Motorola Moto G series phones my wife and DD and DIL have, have batteries that are NOT easily replaced.

It is becoming harder, to buy phones with REMOVABLE batteries...

Good grief, Lanny!  Are you an engineer.  You are always so insightful with technical questions! LOL!  Honestly,  I saw the title of this thread and before I opened it I thought I'd tell the OP to hunt you down for your insight!  I wholeheartedly agree that the more "parts" or "gears", etc a product has the greatly the likelihood it will break and need to be replaced and with that comes more expense.  Case in point - I like the new (kinda like) refrigerators that have the screen on the front French doors like the Samsung but I wouldn't get it b/c it's a break/malfunction waiting to happen. 

Lanny, if getting a Samsung Android, Samsung did away with the "hard home" button as well from the S8 and newer, I believe.  I thought that getting the hard button would be better though in this case. I haven't upgraded my phone but need to as my S4 is 5 years old next month!  I have the removable battery and, you're absolutely right, it's nice to have.  We bought extra factory batteries on Amazon when we bought our phones.   Would you recommend an S7 or Motorola? 

Lastly, based on all of the specs above, what is the most important and in what order?  Memory, storage, battery removable, frequency....  I'm overwhelmed with all of the specs.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sheryl said:

Good grief, Lanny!  Are you an engineer.  You are always so insightful with technical questions! LOL!  Honestly,  I saw the title of this thread and before I opened it I thought I'd tell the OP to hunt you down for your insight!  I wholeheartedly agree that the more "parts" or "gears", etc a product has the greatly the likelihood it will break and need to be replaced and with that comes more expense.  Case in point - I like the new (kinda like) refrigerators that have the screen on the front French doors like the Samsung but I wouldn't get it b/c it's a break/malfunction waiting to happen. 

Lanny, if getting a Samsung Android, Samsung did away with the "hard home" button as well from the S8 and newer, I believe.  I thought that getting the hard button would be better though in this case. I haven't upgraded my phone but need to as my S4 is 5 years old next month!  I have the removable battery and, you're absolutely right, it's nice to have.  We bought extra factory batteries on Amazon when we bought our phones.   Would you recommend an S7 or Motorola? 

Lastly, based on all of the specs above, what is the most important and in what order?  Memory, storage, battery removable, frequency....  I'm overwhelmed with all of the specs.

Yes, I was a Software Engineer. Worked with Embedded Firmware, which is what makes the Hardware work. Without Software, the Hardware is pretty useless.   So, yes, I was looking at the Specifications on the web site of Motorola Colombia, after my 4 year old phone croaked.  My wife and I have A LOT of respect for that phone and the original battery that worked for 4 years!  Because I was an Engineer, the only way I know how to look at a component or device is to look at the Specifications. If the manufacturer is honest, it should give one a good idea of what it is going to do. Between models of the same manufacturer, Motorola or Samsung or whatever, the specifications should be pretty accurate. Among different manufacturers, they may not be 100% comparable, but one has nothing else to go on.

That is an interesting question. I went and got my now deceased 4 year old low-end Samsung phone. Now in use as a Paperweight, until it is added to the old cell phone display on the wall in the hall...   Yes, it has a Physical "Home" button.  And my new (2 weeks now) low-end Motorola phone does not have a Physical "Home" button.  Both kinds work, without issues.  I wonder now, from your question, which type is more reliable and my guess is that the phones without the Physical switch may be a little more reliable. I see the Physical switch as a potential point of failure, like the Power switch on my new Motorola phone. That is a switch that I touch, a lot, to bring the Display to active, or, to put the Display to sleep. 

Smart that you bought extra batteries, when you bought your phones.  If you have been rotating them, keeping all batteries in active use, that really extends the useful life of a phone.

I think my priorities, when looking at different cell phones, based on my recent decision to go with a very low end Motorola, would probably begin with being UNBRANDED to a provider and UNLOCKED and a manufacturers warranty in the country you live in.

Then the Battery Capacity and a Battery that is Removable and User Replaceable.  With that, you could buy an additional battery, as you did in the past.  I am not a big fan of using heat to get the Display off and taking the phone apart to replace a battery.  People who do that all day, every day, can do it, without damaging a phone but others might cause some great damage.

The Display quality is important.    I got better quality, going to a model with the much larger battery capacity.   It really helps, if you are in bright Sunlight, if you can crank up the Brightness and see the display.  Over the years, that has probably been my biggest issue, when I tried to use my cell phone outside the house in bright  sunlight.

I understand (according to my several years old edition of Android Phones for Dummies) that many phones now do not have Removable batteries OR the ability to install a Micro SD.  For me, I want the ability to install a Micro SD memory. 

The latest version of the Android OS (Operating System) that a phone has, will be an indicator of when the phone was made and how fresh, or stale, the battery is. My new phone has Android 7.0.  I think the latest version of Android is 8.0 but am not sure about that. I think my phone was made early in July 2018.

RAM is nice. The more the better.  I was not willing to pay more for that, because we had 2 mid price range phones damaged or destroyed in September, before my 4 year old phone died and, because I am not a Power User and am not on the phone all day. And, because I rarely take photos.

A faster processor is nice, but I  would not pay for that unless I was into gaming, which I am not, or constantly on my phone, which I am not.

Probably any very recent phone from Samsung or Motorola will have all of the Bands you need (and more) and I wouldn't worry about that.  

I don't know anything about the Samsung models you mentioned.  I would suggest instead that you look at which company, Motorola or Samsung, provides the best specifications for the least amount of money.  Probably that will be Motorola. But, it might not be.

Depending upon the importance of the Camera to you, where that fits into the list of priorities will depend upon the frequency with which you use the camera. For me that was a very low priority, because I rarely use the camera, but for many cell phone purchasers, that is THE most important issue and one they should carefully research, reading Reviews on the web. A good Review will have a lot of data about the quality of the photos the Reviewer took.

There is one other thing that one should do when contemplating purchasing a particular model phone:  Read some of the reviews and then look at the issues the users are having with that particular model.   I would avoid getting a brand new model, the first month or 2 they are available for purchase. There are usually some glitches that will be fixed, in Android or the Firmware, when the Users are actually complaining about different issues.

I would narrow the possibilities down, as much as possible, BEFORE going into a store to buy. That makes it much easier.    There are so many brands and so many models and if one does not know what their priorities are, it is easy to get swayed by a special price on something that is not as good for the purchaser as another model.

This is the next step up from the one I got 2 weeks ago, on the web site of the store where we buy phones. It has an even bigger battery than mine, 5000 mAh, but I am not sure the battery is removable, and I assume that it is not removable. It has a larger display, a Fingerprint Reader and some water repellancy.   Today it is about $30 USD more than my new phone (that includes 19% VAT tax), but if one has a particular credit card, it can be bought today for about $107 (which includes the VAT tax).  https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-e-plus-gen-4

NOTE: This is really strange. Motorola USA charges $10 USD MORE for that phone, if it is locked to Verizon or Sprint, than if it is UNBRANDED and UNLOCKED. That seems crazy. An UNBRANDED and UNLOCKED phone is always worth MORE money...

NOTE #2:  I was very curious about the Samsung S7 that you mentioned. The Google SERPs page seems to indicate that it came out with Android 6.0 so a "new" phone that has been on the shelf will have a battery that is unused, but has deteriorated some. The good thing is that it looks like Android can be upgraded to a much later version version https://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s7-oreo-update

I think one would be OK with Android 8.x but would be very wary about being the first person on my block with Android 9.x or one of the first people on my block. There are, frequently, glitches with brand new hardware or software.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sheryl said:

LANNY!  I'm going to have to re-read this again.  This is waaay techy for this non-techy person.  LOL!   I am going to read this again and I'm sure I'll be back in touch! ?  

Sheryl: Way too long, but I gave detailed explanations, about different features and specifications. 

If possible, I would try to get a model that has: A removable battery and the ability to install a Micro SD memory and has a recent version of Android (7.0 or later). I would only buy a phone that is Unbranded and Unlocked and has a manufacturers warranty where you live. Those are my top priorities.

A large battery, such as the 4000 mAh battery in my new, low-end Moto C Plus, is very nice to have.  There is a 10 watt charger and it takes approximately 2.5 hours to go from 15% to 100%    (I think my wife and DD have Moto G phones that have a "Quick Charger" and those are much faster when they charge the battery)

For many people the Camera is the most important feature of the phone and if you use the Camera a lot, then you will want to study some online reviews, to see what they wrote about the camera in a particular model.

A newer model will probably have Radios that are better optimized and perform better. And, hopefully, more efficient battery consumption. Here's an example of the improvements in WiFi Radios: My 4 year old Samsung would indicate about 26 (?) Mbps when I tested in our house.  My 2 week old, low-end Motorola usually indicates approximately 40 to 43 Mbps when I test on Speedtest.Net  (our house has 50 Mbps service from our provider).  I have seen momentary speeds of up to 48 or 49 Mbps on my new phone.  I assume that newer Samsung phones also have Radios that are better performing than my old Samsung.

20 hours ago, Lanny said:

I think one would be OK with Android 8.x but would be very wary about being the first person on my block with Android 9.x or one of the first people on my block. There are, frequently, glitches with brand new hardware or software.

It is  Android 9 Pie now. The problem with android is that most android phones (Motorola, Samsung) gives two free OS updates. So once my husband’s old android phone (not Google pixel) can’t be upgraded to the latest android OS, he would go for the latest Nokia phone. His employer requires them to have the latest OS for security reasons. Can’t opt out of OS updates for their cellphones. The good thing is their IT dept would support any glitches. 

Do you have extended warranty for credit card purchase in Colombia? My AMEX claim for my iPhone 6s went through and they will pay for the repair cost for my 19 month old 128gb iPhone 6s, repair cost quoted to me by Apple is $299 before tax. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

It is  Android 9 Pie now. The problem with android is that most android phones (Motorola, Samsung) gives two free OS updates. So once my husband’s old android phone (not Google pixel) can’t be upgraded to the latest android OS, he would go for the latest Nokia phone. His employer requires them to have the latest OS for security reasons. Can’t opt out of OS updates for their cellphones. The good thing is their IT dept would support any glitches. 

Do you have extended warranty for credit card purchase in Colombia? My AMEX claim for my iPhone 6s went through and they will pay for the repair cost for my 19 month old 128gb iPhone 6s, repair cost quoted to me by Apple is $299 before tax. 

Nice that the company your DH works for will pay for that.  And, yes, usually a later version of an OS is more secure. Occasionally, a later version has a Security glitch, but hopefully they catch that, quickly.   Our neighbor, an Electronic Engineer for a cell provider here (about 25 years now I think) usually buys Motorola phones, but occasionally he will buy a Samsung. We are all on Motorola phones now, with the exception of one Lenovo phone (Lenovo owns Motorola Mobility)

No, I don't think the credit cards here include that extended coverage. That would be very nice!   I had that when I lived in the USA.  The superstore where we buy cell phones and TVs and other things (including, sometimes, groceries) has, on some cell phone brands, a warranty in case there is a huge issue that would cost 75% or more of what one paid for the phone.  I think if that's the case, they will give a 70% credit, for the price one paid for the phone, towards another phone of the same brand, of equal or greater cost.   I registered for that insurance, the day after my wife came home with my new phone. That's for 12 months from the date of purchase.  I think it would cover, for example, if the phone was dropped and the Display cracked, replacing the display. Or, if there was some terrible issue with the phone that was costly to repair. 

Very cool that AmEx will pay to repair your iPhone!    $299 USD is way more than my new low-end Moto C Plus cost.  Approximately 3X the cost, which included 19% VAT tax.