Menu

My bank card has been compromised....

Heathermomster

Apparently, someone down in Florida was caught using my debit card number which is attached to my family checking account.  This happened to me about five years ago, and I was re-issued a new card.  All of my transactions are credit.  I don’t use the card online, and I never make debit transactions.

How is this happening?  DH thinks that the payment system at a store where we shop may have been compromised.  Outside of not using the card at all, how can I make this stop?  DH and I both ran our free annual credit checks this morning and everything looks fine.

Thank-you,

Our cards seem to get hacked every few years, although not our debit card.  The card companies have been very good about crediting back the charges.

I've just resigned myself to the fact that this will happen again at some point, and make sure I stay on top of it.  I have apps that notify me the instant a charge is made, so I can double check it and make sure the charge is mine (or someone in our family), immediately.  This at least puts my mind at ease that I'll catch it early.  I wonder if you can get an app like that for your debit card?

You're right, it's such an inconvenience! 

• Like 1

It happens to us at least once a year. We stay on top of our statements, and the credit card company texts DH about any weird charges (usually online Walmart). They also send new cards by express mail. It's a huge inconvenience, but we've just accepted that there's not much we can do about it. We almost never use debit cards anymore because those are harder to sort out. We try to only use the one card so that there's a backup card if we need to buy groceries or make a time-sensitive online payment.

• Like 1

My credit card gets hacked about once every 1-2 years.  I don't think you do make it stop.  It's just the cost (so to speak, since I don't pay anything) of doing business with a credit card.  

I assume that if you're using your debit card on credit mode, that you aren't liable for the cost.  Is this correct?  If so, then I wouldn't worry about it unless it's happening very frequently.  That it's only happened one other time in five years tells me that you're doing something right.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EKS said:

My credit card gets hacked about once every 1-2 years.  I don't think you do make it stop.  It's just the cost (so to speak, since I don't pay anything) of doing business with a credit card.  

I assume that if you're using your debit card on credit mode, that you aren't liable for the cost.  Is this correct?  If so, then I wouldn't worry about it unless it's happening very frequently.  That it's only happened one other time in five years tells me that you're doing something right.

I am not sure about the highlighted. Back in the days when I still used debit cards like credit cards, someone bought a Playstation /xbox around Christmas time. The money came out of my account. It was eventually replaced after the fraud investigation but initially you are out the money. If someone charged thousands and it came out of your account, it could cause issues. My credit card gets compromised almost annually around Christmas time but it's not cash money and I have to say my credit card company is a lot faster in resolving these issues than my bank was.