Menu

Campus safety report?

Dmmetler

DD just got one in her “applying to college” e-mail account for a college that’s recruiting her. Not a “we’re number 1 on student safety”, but a breakdown showing exactly how many incidents occurred in each campus building, how many drug arrests, alcohol arrests, assault, etc. 

Is this something that is typically sent out to applicants or prospective students? I do think it’s useful information-but I don’t recall seeing it for any other schools yet. 

• Like 1

DD has received several. I think there is a law that requires the school to send out the report to current and prospective  (admitted?) students. I recently looked at three of them side by side. The format is similar. One separated out the fire report; the other two combined them. Bigger campuses tended to have more crime, but the alcohol and theft numbers were interesting. (Numbers referred for alcohol vs arrests was interesting, but I don't really know what it means in terms of policy or practice or culture.)

Doesn't look like it specifies if they habe to send it to prospective students:

The Clery Act requires colleges and universities that receive federal funding to disseminate a public annual security report (ASR) to employees and students every October 1st. This ASR must include statistics of campus crime for the preceding 3 calendar years, plus details about efforts taken to improve campus safety.

4 hours ago, Woodland Mist Academy said:

How does one put the information in perspective? Schools of all ranks, non-selective to elite, have some scary stats. 

One thing to consider is the size of the student body and looking at percentages rather than just number of incidents. It might really look bad until you look at a "rate" rather than a number per year.

Then, all things being relatively equal, I think it can really make a difference to educate our kids. Helping them learn to make good decisions won't ensure nothing bad happens to them, but it will certainly cut down on the likelihood. Teaching them things like how to be aware of their surroundings, not walking alone at night (male or female), being careful about who they are with and the kind of parties they go to, being smart about what they do with expensive things (and not taking some things to school with them), understanding where campus security is and how to contact them or the police if something does happen, and so on. 

• Like 2