Menu

dry spices

ProudGrandma

One to two years so far in airtight containers. If the smell is gone, then I just replace them. Mine are turmeric, five spices, red chilli pepper powder, sage powder.

If I bought and forgot to use them, as in unopened and vacuum sealed, they have been good to use even after two years. They are in a shady spot in my kitchen that don’t usually get direct sunlight. 

• Like 1

I replace them when they are gone.  Some it has been years.

I helped my friend pack up her kitchen when they were moving and I noticed some old looking labels on the spices.  I asked her about those and she said "oh, yeah, I bought those when I was in NY City"......umm, that was over 20 years ago....but they got packed and she is still using them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, elroisees said:

It's all well and good to keep them until they get used up, until one day you open a new jar and make a Really Spicy Gingerbread because your measurements were based on the old, lame spices! 

This is TRUTH. 

As I'm moving, I'm tossing--and old spices are not going with. Actually want to take some smoked paprika with me, and some chili powder, because I don't know how to ask for it in Arabic and I don't want to move without it! lol

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

This is TRUTH. 

As I'm moving, I'm tossing--and old spices are not going with. Actually want to take some smoked paprika with me, and some chili powder, because I don't know how to ask for it in Arabic and I don't want to move without it! lol

Oh man, that’s a tough one. I would only be able to ask for “red pepper powder’ and I’m guessing that could be anything. Watch it be “babrika” or something easy like that. I know it’s USED, but not how to shop for it. I can help if you need parsley. ?