Menu

No Bite Collar instead of Cone to Stop Dog Licking Post Surgery?

Familia

Anyone use these?  I see collars on Amazon the are wide and stiff that prevent licking after surgery.  A problem may be on the horizon for our pup licking after spaying.  Those cones look so uncomfortable.  Maybe I am over-worried and a little licking is not a problem...

To clarify, this is a neck-brace looking contraption, not an e-collar.

Edited by Familia

I don't know about the collar versus the cone decision, because I haven't researched it (yet -- my puppy will need to be spayed in a few months).

But please use something. When I was growing up, our dog almost died after spaying, because her stitches came open while she was at home. I will spare you the gory details, but it was, in fact, gory. If she had been wearing a cone (they weren't common back then), the damage would certainly have been much less severe.

My sister found instructions online for making a body suit for her puppy out of child's pajamas, and it worked well, so we will also consider doing that, when the time comes.

• Sad 1

If you go with the collar, make sure you observe your dog for a while to make sure he/she can’t pull it off or still reach the wound. I ended up lining a cone collar with fleece and our dog didn’t mind it, since it was soft inside. The non cone collars don’t allow for air circulation, and my dog kept trying to rub and scratch his way out. 

• Thanks 1

Hmmm, good food for thought.  Our dog/puppy (7 mos) has a love of eating up anything soft.  I can just see her now, eating the body suit right of of herself!  Ditto for fleece lining it, she'd see it as a chew toy.

As for the air circulation under a collar, she does have issues with rubbing from her harness - hate to have that spread.  Sigh!  I wish the next week of healing would hurry along! 

We just put our older cat to sleep yesterday d/t advanced cancer, so I am babying the pup and a little more nervous about it all than I would normally be.

We got one called All Four Paws Comfy Cone when our dog had knee surgery recently. It's softer and more flexible than the horrible plastic ones from the vet, and allows the dog to sleep comfortably. I ordered it from Chewy.

We also tried one of the Kong inflatable collars and that thing was a piece of junk. It started losing air right away and our dog was able to slip it right off his head.

ETA: So sorry about your cat. Hugs!

Edited by Selkie
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Selkie said:

We got one called All Four Paws Comfy Cone when our dog had knee surgery recently. It's softer and more flexible than the horrible plastic ones from the vet, and allows the dog to sleep comfortably. I ordered it from Chewy.

We also tried one of the Kong inflatable collars and that thing was a piece of junk. It started losing air right away and our dog was able to slip it right off his head.

ETA: So sorry about your cat. Hugs!

Thanks.  I know we're taking about the dog, but here's a pic of our dear Hannah (can I highjack my own thread?):

1985245744_ScreenShot2018-09-19at3_25_21PM.png.808add9d7cdd944cd78b16f7a2e50895.png

If you didn't see it above, we lost our cat yesterday to cancer.

Edited by Familia
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

I’m not advising this, but — In all my years of pet ownership and fostering I’ve never had to use a cone on a dog or cat. Not for spays or neuters or even major surgeries (not that spays aren’t major, too).  The vet I’ve used for almost forty years never recommended them way back in the day, so I guess I just got used to constant vigilance. But there was never a huge need for that. But like I said—I’m not recommending that approach to anyone else. I would try just about anything available before I’d resort to an E-collar, though. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I’m not advising this, but — In all my years of pet ownership and fostering I’ve never had to use a cone on a dog or cat. Not for spays or neuters or even major surgeries (not that spays aren’t major, too).  The vet I’ve used for almost forty years never recommended them way back in the day, so I guess I just got used to constant vigilance. But there was never a huge need for that. But like I said—I’m not recommending that approach to anyone else. I would try just about anything available before I’d resort to an E-collar, though. 

Oh, it isn't an e-collar.  It looks like a neck brace, low tech, to keep the pup from reaching.  

Do you mind, Pawz4me, to tell me more regarding 'constant vigilance'?  Do you think I just need to watch pup & tell her not to lick?  I'm willing to give it a few days.  Just curious if that is what you meant.  Worried about time spent alone but, since surgery, that has been sleeping time.

1 minute ago, Familia said:

Oh, it isn't an e-collar.  It looks like a neck brace, low tech, to keep the pup from reaching.  

Do you mind, Pawz4me, to tell me more regarding 'constant vigilance'?  Do you think I just need to watch pup & tell her not to lick?  I'm willing to give it a few days.  Just curious if that is what you meant.  Worried about time spent alone but, since surgery, that has been sleeping time.

Yes, constantly watching and verbally correcting too much licking (a little really isn’t a problem)..Like I said—I’m not advising that. It’s hard. But I do think some vets go overboard with the cones for every little procedure. But they’re erring on the side of caution, of course. It’s the safe thing to do.

• Thanks 1

We had to use the neck brace thing because our GSD destroyed the cone overnight and ruined the suture. I had to take him back, have them repair the suture and then bring him home with the brace thingy. 

It worked. We actually kept it in case we would need it again later, which we did when he had tumors removed from his paw. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dsmith said:

There are also ones with long fabric legs if the dog would be likely to work her way in at the leg holes. I think it would still take some vigilance and saying “leave it.”  But they look far more comfortable than the head cones. 

Could you post if it works well for your dog?  We don’t have current need, but I have thought of getting a long leg version for shedding, winter warmth, and in case ever needed for medical reasons. 

• Like 1